Providence Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He started the year at like 35% as a 6'8" freshman, and his response was like "I'm better than that." And he's proved it. He's going to be so good in a couple years.
Adding 10 pounds of muscle is going to really impact his game. Big upside.

Reaction Score
Kudos to the team and the coaching staff on an excellent game. The energy level was felt even through the tv. Loved the speed and controlled pace they played with today, everyone played their role to perfection. A complete exhilarated experience from start to finish. Starters, key bench players, seldom used role players, the coaching staff, all were locked and loaded. Would love to see this same game for the remainder of the year!

Reaction Score
Sanogo can absolutely pass when facing the rim. I thought it was a bit absurd how we kept harping on him not passing out of a double where he’s trapped in the post and nobody is coming available for a pass. We’ve adjusted to avoid that from happening at all. Has opened up a lot.

Hopefully Donovan can learn to gather himself on those put backs and not rush them. He’s excited and misses them all long. Take a breath, score. It will come. Defense was solid in that stretch, which is what let Hurley leave them in.
Needs to dunk more, and drag some of those hanging on him through the hoop too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Phenomenal win. Best 2nd half I've seen us play all year. Having said that, knowing this team, I'm already fully prepared for an absolutely infuriating loss @ SJU on Saturday lol
Post/handle
(noting that @NJHusky got to this while I was scrolling the full thread)
Hurley can’t win the close one
Had to reviee the entire thread so I could see if somebody dared to say, "Well, it's still true, you know."
Where’s FriarJ now?
He's not the one to wonder about, nor anybody else with "Friar" or "PC" in their handle.

Consider some recent regular-enough posters who seemed to show up mostly in PC-themed posts; who have been knowledgeable about PC; who have repeatedly referred to UConn with "we" and "us" but aren't anywhere in this thread to share their joy with their 'fellow Husky fans.

It's rather complimentary that UConn merits some level of disinformation and' false flag' posting, but I have found it unsettling that such efforts have sometimes enrolled and potentiated the agitation among some veteran posters who have expressed doubts & deep criticisms of this team's performance under pressured conditions.
This post-game thread has a most welcome rallying-cry vibe to it.
Tonight I'm dishing out likes like UConn dishing out dimes.
That'd be me too.
wow, he played 15 minutes? I didn't even notice he was on the floor.
I remember a first-half midrange shot by Hawkins going up and in over CFJ's outstretched arm.
Otherwise, I sloughed off the15 minutes as a typo. If not, a pretty stat-free amount of playing time.

Final thought: those early Hopkins points and defensive pick-offs from passing lanes were direct challenges to UConn, and the team' s response was worthy.

Then PC asserted itself as a challenging for with Locke and Bynum hitting 3s, but UConn expanded its bench to keep itself fresh and emphasize defense. And PC expanded as well.

We've seen other first halves end with opponents getting back into the game, but Alleyne's 3 opened up things to the 5-point lead that was secured with a tough defensive stop that ate up the clock afterward, so that Alex's too-late shot was no more than joy-filled moment for him as he went into the locker room.

In other words, PC looked pretty good in the first half, and could have hung a demoralizing loss on UConn if we weren't prepared and didn't execute.

We think of the Marquette game as a beat-down, but the Golden Eagles outscored the Huskies 43-41 in the second half, much to the consternation of some Boneyarders.

Tonight, the second half was 50-37, and the collapse of the double digit lead to 3 points during the time that Alex picked up the 3 fouls grew to 15 at the 8-minute mark, and grew to 18 for the 4-minute mark, e enough it got punched at several times, and then some more in the final minutes. But it would not crack.

We beat a good team tonight by being better.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Providence would be well served to focus less on flopping and flailing for the refs and more on just playing basketball. It gets them a few extra calls at home but it doesn’t work on the road, and the NCAA and Big East Tournaments are played on the road.

Reaction Score
For once I completely agree with Donny, no way should Croswell have been called for foul when Adama was repeatedly banging into him to improve position. Either call the offensive foul on Sanogo or let Croswell bang back. I don't know how you are supposed to defend if offensive player can keep initiating contact. See it in the women's game now too. I wouldn't want to defend down low nowadays.

Reaction Score
For once I completely agree with Donny, no way should Croswell have been called for foul when Adama was repeatedly banging into him to improve position. Either call the offensive foul on Sanogo or let Croswell bang back. I don't know how you are supposed to defend if offensive player can keep initiating contact. See it in the women's game now too. I wouldn't want to defend down low nowadays.
Better Sanogo than Nova.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how much has changed since the last matchup. Cooley can say what he wants but his team didn’t play soft in the first half so it’s not like they came in with the mindset to mail it in. We took the life out of them and it was beautiful to watch. Let’s hope we can keep this momentum rolling!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Agree on that call but it all evens out. Croswell gets away with many others I promise so no biggie here.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Awesome game, loved everything about the play of our guys

0 free throws in the first half, 34 free throws in the 2nd half. Another bad game for the bad guys, the whole audience saw they called two different games.

We dominant the boards (is dominant strong enough), we work the paint, we run better offense and dominant assists, we're home, yet we're noticeably on the short of of free throws yet again. Some absolutely bizarre calls too. There was an extended stretch where their only points came from free throws, and it fueled a PC rally. Poor officiating has officially become an epidemic.

But we responded, we played physically, so many contributors, If we can play like this we're great.

X 2nd half
Marquette
PC

Not good, GREAT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And yet both Adama and Karaban have been called for similar fouls all year. I agree but there must be some way you are supposed to do it without hands.

Reaction Score
You resist then take half a step back and plant your feet and take a charge on the next contact from the offensive player. Post play is a huge game of cat and mouse. You saw it when Carter was on Sanogo in the post. He had all his weight forward waiting to take a fall when Sanogo tries to back him down and Sanogo pulled a spin move instead and got the dunk. Carter stumbled forward because all his weight was forward.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Is it me but I have not seen this much movement since Rip played. It wasn't just Hawkins either, Newton, AJ, Alex and then Joey, Naheim and Hassan were whirling dervishes! I think PC was gassed in the second half, not just Carter (who by the way is really good).

Reaction Score
I had to respond to a call from Life Alert for an elderly aunt I keep an eye on when the score was 6-5 UConn. The hospital finally admitted her after midnight she should be ok after a change in meds. Lucky that I record every UConn mens game.
The basketball gods must have woke me up at 5:30 AM forgot to set alarm) am so I am watching the recording it is 6:59 left in second half Uconn 7o Providence 53. Yes I heard they won at 1:00 am last night but I have to watch anyway and I got nervous the last time early in the second half when Husky lead was down to 3. Crazy I know. At 2:14 left UConn up by 18 I stopped being nervous. LOL. Yes I a.m Crazy … and lack sleep. No I am not mad at my aunt for causing me to miss the game live after all UConn won a great game so I can be charitable to a 96 year old.

PS With recording HULU let’s me fast forward through ADS and time outs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And yet both Adama and Karaban have been called for similar fouls all year. I agree but there must be some way you are supposed to do it without hands.
It was a weak call vs Croswell
But defenders better learn to keep their hands off the offensive players body. Hands up

Reaction Score
Shout out to DH and staff.. Thought they managed the game very well and closed it out at closing time.. The trend of winning big games at home vs Marq and Providence is encouraging.. Take the show on the road and do the same leading up to BET/March Madness. I did notice that Kimani seemed more animated and involved on the bench last night vs earlier in the season.. Guys feed off of him.

Think DH is starting to figure stuff out that has been keeping some Yarders up at night. At closing time.

Reaction Score
Shout out to DH and staff.. Thought they managed the game very well and closed it out at closing time.. The trend of winning big games at home vs Marq and Providence is encouraging.. Take the show on the road and do the same leading up to BET/March Madness. I did notice that Kimani seemed more animated and involved on the bench last night vs earlier in the season.. Guys feed off of him.

Think DH is starting to figure stuff out that has been keeping some Yarders up at night. At closing time.
So that must means we can lock up the DH lynching party until the next loss?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom