Providence Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
So that must means we can lock up the DH lynching party until the next loss?
Hurley coached well, he seems in control and calmer- the times the camera when to him in the huddle were great and showed his comfort and understanding of the action. It is nice when the team shoots well which they did last night. I like having Sanogo directing the offense up top- the team was moving constantly, the lane is more open, and Sanogo is good at passing from up there. Also, he still was able to move down low and do his power game there. When Clingan was up top, it wasn't as smooth- then again, Adama is more of a shooting threat away from the basket, and he has that much more experience too. Great game!

Reaction Score
Nothing better than seeing AJAX grab a rebound, dribble out of the pack, lead the fast break and Uconn scoring at the other end. We actually look unbeatable when this happens. Looking forward to this on all the neutral floors we are going to be playing on in the next several weeks.

Reaction Score
Nah, that race is over if it wasn’t already.
I was a little worried he might not get it because he doesn’t average 10ppg (although he does if you round up). Silly but it could subconsciously matter in the voting. I think you’re right though. It’s over now

Reaction Score
30 seconds into the game a Pee Cee fan sitting behind us said "Karaban can't guard Hopkins but Hurley won't make a change because he's an idiot". Me and my wife turned back and gave him a mean mug. How sweet it was to enjoy AK completely outplay Hopkins the whole night! Great team victory!! Of course the Pee Cee fans left with 7 minutes left in the game too!

Reaction Score
Really nothing to complain about in terms of the way we played. There's always opportunities to clean some stuff up, but that was about as complete of a game as you could ask for.

I will say that I hated the way the game was reffed. You can't call nothing in the first half and then call 14 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the second. I try to give refs the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but it's hard to explain that kind of inconsistency

Reaction Score
Great team win.

Karaban is the real deal.

Jackson played within himself tonight and it was a beautiful thing to see. I think too frequently this year he's tried to do too much- too much shooting, but even too much dribbling/running the offense. He's a unicorn, but the team shouldn't - and wasn't last night - be built around his skillset. When Newton initiates the offense and we play inside/out with Hawkins/Karaban/Sanogo and AJax simply spacing the court and then making hustle plays, that's when we're at our best. Think he should start still but would also love to see him get some time running the point w/ the second team/some shooters around him.

Think Clingan still needs more minutes. Let him get in there and make stupid plays, he almost always comes good over time.

PC is a good team that turns games into rock fights. Reminds me of the Cronin Cinci teams. But when they get down by double digits, they get put to the sword - they don't have the shooting to get themselves back in the game.

Reaction Score
Really nothing to complain about in terms of the way we played. There's always opportunities to clean some stuff up, but that was about as complete of a game as you could ask for.

I will say that I hated the way the game was reffed. You can't call nothing in the first half and then call 14 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the second. I try to give refs the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but it's hard to explain that kind of inconsistency

BE refs continue to put on a masterclass of making basketball games about them, and not about basketball

Reaction Score
A well coached game. 1st half was a fun battle with limited whistles. The team adjusted to PC's defensive pressure and drastically reduced the turnovers midway thru the 1st half and throughout the 2nd half. Diarra and others need to understand when Clingan is in the game and let him handle penetration with blocks rather than fouls. The fouls and PC free throws were frustrating in the early part of the 2nd half, but the team never lost focus. DH's only shortfall tonight is not getting Springs into the game w/ a couple of minutes remaining.

Reaction Score
We got the short end of the calls again…but our players were focused and wouldn’t be denied…great job by the players and coaches!!!!

Reaction Score
Always interesting how the same 20 accounts manage to disappear when we win
Do we need an updated list of trolls? They are more sneaky then several years ago. Can we pick one and come up with a punishment we can inflict that is PC enough to pass muster?

Reaction Score
Couple take aways...

1. Figuring out AJAX and what to do with him on the offensive end really is connected IMO to how well we do offensively on any given night. Lately; he and Hurley are starting to use him in a way that allows our offense to not be double teamed and bottled up. Keep him near the basket, flowing in and out for dunks/close layups and use him on fast breaks. Teams have to respect him in those areas. He runs the floor like a deer. Keep him away from 3pt line. Teams see him there and flow away from him thus double teaming everyone else.

2. Diarra and Alleyne are definitely our Guards off the bench. Joey C Im not willing to give up on yet but his role is to drain 3's like Alleyne is doing and recently he hasn't been. Plus both Diarra and Alleyne play better D and are a bit tougher.

3. Speaking of toughness, loved this teams toughness last night both physically AND mentally. They are starting to play in a way where they can impose there will on others teams. During there funk, I didn't see this, I saw a team get punched in the mouth and essentially shy away and lose composure.

4. Loved the shot distribution of our 4 top scorers (Newton, Hawkins, Karaban, Sanogo) everyone had between 9-14 attempts which means the ball movement was good and it forces teams to try and have to cover everyone, which they obviously cant, leaving someone open for a high percentage shot. Sometimes IMO we get a little to focused on feeding "one guy" and that makes us one dimensional and easy to guard. So I loved seeing this.

Other than that, great game. Hope to continue these things moving forward. If we do this team can play with anyone. Just needs to be consistent.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Always interesting how the same 20 accounts manage to disappear when we win
With a smile of recognition, I know what you mean, and recognize where it applies. But I also recognize and acknowledge with appreciation that there are some notables who have joined the party in this thread, and I welcome them fully.

Additionally, I invite others who truly love this program to bring their best efforts to this evolving story. We are all needed to work together as a team, play as a team, win as team, and celebrate as a team.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
DH's only shortfall tonight is not getting Springs into the game w/ a couple of minutes remaining.
Courant reported before the game that Springs was likely to be unavailable - non-covid illness.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nothing better than seeing AJAX grab a rebound, dribble out of the pack, lead the fast break and Uconn scoring at the other end. We actually look unbeatable when this happens. Looking forward to this on all the neutral floors we are going to be playing on in the next several weeks.
If you haven't already listened to the Rob Dauster "Field of 64" podcast episode that has been linked here (see if his name and the word "conundrum" work from the upper right corner option), that would be "Andre -ing Jackson." It it sounds quite powerful and true when spoken with force and without the profanity filter that otherwise provides a net benefit for this site

Reaction Score
With a smile of recognition, I know what you mean, and recognize where it applies. But I also recognize and acknowledge with appreciation that there are some notables who have joined the party in this thread, and I welcome them fully.

Additionally, I invite others who truly love this program to bring their best efforts to this evolving story. We are all needed to work together as a team, play as a team, win as team, and celebrate as a team.
Great post!!!

Reaction Score
Providence would be well served to focus less on flopping and flailing for the refs and more on just playing basketball. It gets them a few extra calls at home but it doesn’t work on the road, and the NCAA and Big East Tournaments are played on the road.
Providence will have trouble in the NCAA tournament without home cooking from their refs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
AK is really reminding me of Henefeld now. He is a stud and getting better. He outplayed the alleged conference player of the year. When they defend like this they are a title contender.

Nadav was an elite defender. AK isn't there yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom