Providence Post-Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Post-Game Thread

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am vey happy that Amari can shot a 3 .
I'll add to what you say. Happy that Amari can shoot the three and hit it. She will be an added three-point threat before her senior year. Also, although Piath is not yet ready for a lot of playing time, I believe she will improve over the Summer and if she improves as much as she did from her freshman season, she will earn some good minutes before next season is over.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I hate to complain, but, when I open a post game blog and see something the size of a newspaper article I just skip to the next notation...I'm sure there is a great deal of good information there, but if it contains everything about the game, why should the rest of us bother to post?
Well I guess you dont read any of my posts. There are some people on this board that have alot of connections and contacts and cant say explicitly what they want to say for various reasons. However if you read some of the long posts and think inbetween the lines you'll get their point.

Reaction Score
While no one will argue that St Johns and Prov are by no means elite teams, just using the eye test it is obvious we are playing head and shoulders above where we were in Jan, we are playing with extreme confidence, the defense is smothering and barring injury we will still get better.

I would like to see us take a "punch in the mouth" (figuratively) in BE tourney to prepare us for the NCAAs and see how we respond.

I am still hoping for a 2 seed in BPT so I don't have to burn my tickets

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • Senior Day allows fan favorites with limited PT to start for perhaps the only time in their career. UConn’s 4 seniors: Liv, Christyn, Evina & Dorka, along with reigning NPOY Paige Bueckers may actually be the best UConn starting lineup ever on Senior Day. :cool:
  • Unsurprisingly, the seniors were a little tight at the start the game, except for Liv, who absolutely came out ready to play today. Not only did she fill up the stat sheet, but she fouled out her opposing defender in only 6 minutes of PT. When Liv plays with the intensity she showed today, the Huskies are a very difficult team to beat.
  • Once again, UConn’s defense was suffocating from the opening tip. while the offense relentlessly picked up their pace and execution. The game was basically over after the 25-4 first quarter, and it only got worse for the beleaguered Friars form that point on.
  • Paige and every UConn WBB fan was totally incredulous when she missed converting that perfect alley-oop pass from Nika? She did make up for it with her perfect TD bomb to Christyn. I’m not sure there’s another player in WBB capable of executing that play. Maybe DT?
  • This was another “EVERYBODY EATS” game. Christyn, Liv, Dorka and Azzi lead the way, but it really didn’t matter who was on the floor for UConn. The 9-player rotation looks like it had played together all season long. NOTICE TO THE REST OF WBB – THIS 9-PLAYER ROTATION HAS ONLY BEEN TOGETHER FOR 2 GAMES!!! :eek:
  • The regular season is over. Five losses are the most for a Husky team in the regular season in 17 years. But the unprecedented adversity UConn faced this season has clearly made the team stronger, deeper and a whole lot tougher. In fact, heading into the post season, this UConn WBB team is downright NASTY!!! ;)
While DT was an incredible player in her UConn days, and as great as she was, she could never thread the needle like Paige. In fact, Paige is making the full court pass seem commonplace. It’s not the first time she has displayed an insane level of touch on those heaves. I think today’s was the most impressive yet, given she a tiny window to get the pass over a defender and into Christyn’s hands. Also, consider she’s played a little more than 20 minutes over the past 2 months and the pass becomes even more incredulous.

Her skill level, court awareness, timing, exuberance is beyond compare, but her court personality and supreme confidence in herself draws one comparison - Diana Taurasi.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
While no one will argue that St Johns and Prov are by no means elite teams, just using the eye test it is obvious we are playing head and shoulders above where we were in Jan, we are playing with extreme confidence, the defense is smothering and barring injury we will still get better.

I would like to see us take a "punch in the mouth" (figuratively) in BE tourney to prepare us for the NCAAs and see how we respond.

I am still hoping for a 2 seed in BPT so I don't have to burn my tickets
I dont think there are any teams that give UConn a punch right now. If we stay healthy and out of alot of foul trouble I dont think there is a team that can stay within 10 pts of us. We have 8-10 players with no let up. Edwards and Liv are at a new level. Dorka is playing like an AA. our guards can all lite it up. You win a NC with good guards and we have a bunch of 'em. To play UConn as they begin to peak is pure Hell.

Some fans who like t stir the pot are talking about playing a good team. Well Depaul Creighton and Nova are good teams and UConn handled them. If your talking about SC or Stanford well that may happen in the NCAA FF. Understand what we have here. I dont understand how after watching this team which isnt at full strength yet destroy teams how you could even think they dont have a chance to win it all. I sincerely believe that UConn should beat any team in WBB by double digits and it may not be close. I know there are some really really good teams out there, but they are no way at UConns level.

Reaction Score
While DT was an incredible player in her UConn days, and as great as she was, she could never thread the needle like Paige. In fact, Paige is making the full court pass seem commonplace. It’s not the first time she has displayed an insane level of touch on those heaves. I think today’s was the most impressive yet, given she a tiny window to get the pass over a defender and into Christyn’s hands. Also, consider she’s played a little more than 20 minutes over the past 2 months and the pass becomes even more incredulous.

Her skill level, court awareness, timing, exuberance is beyond compare, but her court personality and supreme confidence in herself draws one comparison - Diana Taurasi.
I agree but let me throw 1 more name out there for comparison, Svet. When Svet had the ball, if the other 4 kids weren't paying close attention to her, they were in jeopardy of getting a no-look pass bounced off their heads. Having said that, I don't remember Svet throwing long bombs like Paige. It's good thing Paige is a skinny thing otherwise we might lose her to the football program. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not seeing things the same way you do. It won't be this year for Piath, so hopefully next year. Piath still has a substantial way to go to become an impact post for UCONN.
Agree 100%. I love Piath "What's up Big G" Gabriel. She's a great story. But she was so incredibly raw when she got to UCONN. She's slender still, isn't strong enough in the post on either end of the court, does not have velcro hands, but is still a great story and seems to be a really hard worker. All this is just my opinion btw...

One thing that Geno has said recently (or he intimated) is that Amari needs a better motor. Megan P noted that she "glides around the court", and "doesn't play with any sense of urgency". I've never seen her "attack" when going for a rebound or loose ball. And often times when looking for a rebound, she just stands there letting the ball come to her, if it does. Not aggressive enough at all.

Both Piath and Amari have a lot of work to do if they want to earn minutes next season - both have different things to work on. I love their demeanor on the bench, and adore Amari's enthusiasm for her teammates. But she needs to channel that energy into playing time.

I've seen Ice play in person several times. I've seen Ayanna play in all 6 games of the 3x3 championships. While Ayanna may be way more athletic, both of them both go 100% on both offense and defense. If Amari does not step up, she will be behind both on the depth chart - not because of skill, but because of effort. Piath may have the effort down, but she's not as skilled as either player we have coming in.

Reaction Score
I dont think there are any teams that give UConn a punch right now. If we stay healthy and out of alot of foul trouble I dont think there is a team that can stay within 10 pts of us. We have 8-10 players with no let up. Edwards and Liv are at a new level. Dorka is playing like an AA. our guards can all lite it up. You win a NC with good guards and we have a bunch of 'em. To play UConn as they begin to peak is pure Hell.

Some fans who like t stir the pot are talking about playing a good team. Well Depaul Creighton and Nova are good teams and UConn handled them. If your talking about SC or Stanford well that may happen in the NCAA FF. Understand what we have here. I dont understand how after watching this team which isnt at full strength yet destroy teams how you could even think they dont have a chance to win it all. I sincerely believe that UConn should beat any team in WBB by double digits and it may not be close. I know there are some really really good teams out there, but they are no way at UConns level.

The potential irony of this season is that it's possible that we end the season with the best team in the country but without a single All-American, given all the injuries that we've had.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The potential irony of this season is that it's possible that we end the season with the best team in the country but without a single All-American, given all the injuries that we've ha
The potential irony of this season is that it's possible that we end the season with the best team in the country but without a single All-American, given all the injuries that we've had.
You know I was just thinking about that. Most teams and fans have no idea how good UConn is right now and by the time they realize it....well its gonna be to late. It will be interesting to see what the selection committee does

Reaction Score
This thought occurred to me watching Friday's game and today's game only reinforced it. Let's face it, this season has been a slog. Every time we thought the sun was about to break through the clouds, another thundercloud rolled in. A seemingly endless series of injuries, constantly playing shorthanded, and never able to put the same team out on the floor for 3 games in a row. Not even having enough players to practice. It was tough to watch at times, I can only imagine how difficult it was for the players.

Now, finally, on the least week of the season we have everyone (save Aubrey, who has never played this season) back and on the court. The clouds have parted and we are beginning to see what this UConn team is capable of.

Anyway, that's a long setup for my observation. Sure, a full, healthy lineup is playing with intensity and effort, confident that everyone on the court is capable of making a contribution. But they are also playing with something else. Specifically, joy. They are playing with a sense of joy; they are playing as if they are remembering how much fun it is to play this game with your best friends, doing what they do best with those they care the most about. All of them, even those who haven't been injured or missed games, are playing like a weight has been lifted. And they are playing with an energy and effort and passion that is a revelation. And with smiles on their faces. It's wonderful to see. And no group deserves it more. Here's to another four weeks of joyful play.

Reaction Score

Agree Tony, but I think Villanova, Creighton, Depaul or Marquette, while not having near our talent, could come out strong and give us a run for a quarter or two (assuming they start hot and we start cold). I actually think it would be good for us..

Reaction Score
Totally agree with EricLA about Evina. If you don't shoot in a game you don't make up for it in practice and come out next game and be on. Shooting in a game is just different. This is especially true for her after her 17 point groove game. I am happy she took 13 shots today and kept on shooting it but no AWOLs from here on in please. If she is a scorer in our remaining games, I'm talking in the 10-12 point range, I don't think we lose. She does so many other important things but those points can be the margin of victory. Today's game was all about defense. The switching, the shot blocking, the deflections, the rebounding. It was pure UCONN. Shut them down, go on your run and Katie bar the door!

Reaction Score
As great as this is, I think we go to mainly an 8 player rotation in the big dance. Maybe 10 minutes for player #9. They are all in shape except Paige and hopefully Paige will be there soon. That's an optimal rotation for this team. We need the rotation to be sharp and it's not going to be optimal unless they all get at least 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just my imagination but I'm wondering if Caroline is looking at the current depth and is thinking she needs to get at least some PT as a 4 going forward. She's focusing more on rebounding and on this team, she helps us more posting up instead of shooting 3 pointers. I'd like to see Paige, Azzi and CW take the 3s and everyone else hit the boards. It just makes sense for Dorka and all the bigs getting rebound positioning, knowing when Paige, Azzi and CW are going to shoot from outside. Those offensive rebounds make a world of difference.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have just a few points:

Right now, among Liv, Dorka, and Aaliyah, at least one of them will have a very good game. After the last few years' angst about the lack of bigs on the Boneyard, that should be comforting to many.

Azzi cutting to the basket from the elbow and taking the bounce pass from a big is money, Dorka hit her twice and Amari once today, and I think it happened twice last game. I dunno just what makes it happen; I'm sure PC was "prepared" for it, but couldn't do anything about it.

I said it before the season and it's finally come to pass: The great thing about this deep team is that with so many different styles among the players, it's difficult for opponents to prepare. I kind of like the almost hockey-style subs Geno has done the last couple of games. The team plays very differently both ways depending on the lineups. As Tonyc among other posters say, it's a matchup nightmare.

Reaction Score
I would give Bueckers a break, the better part of 3 months idle, she seems to be properly easing back in. She is moving very well and that is a big part of coming back from such a long injury layoff. She is very intelligently not trying to do too much, too soon.
79 days.

Reaction Score
I think the second half was used by Geno to work on stuff hence the apparent loss of efficiency/intensity. For instance, not as much on ball pressure and stifling man to man and more of a match up zone look defense.

Nika got knocked around a bit in the second half and she was favoring and ankle. Hope it was just a tweak and doesn't result in more of an aggravation of her on going ankle issues (hopefully no off season surgery needed like Lou had to go through).
Paige had off season ankle surgery this past summer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

You might want to watch the 2003 Final Four game vs Texas. Diana had some great passes including one amazing pass to Willnett from half court that she shot from the hip. It was incredible.

Uconn fans have been very lucky to see such amazingly talented players through the years

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You might want to watch the 2003 Final Four game vs Texas. Diana had some great passes including one amazing pass to Willnett from half court that she shot from the hip. It was incredible. Uconn fans have been very lucky to see such amazingly talented players through the years
Just the first 14 seconds of this video will convince them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom