Providence Post-Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Post-Game Thread

Reaction Score
I would give Bueckers a break, the better part of 3 months idle, she seems to be properly easing back in. She is moving very well and that is a big part of coming back from such a long injury layoff. She is very intelligently not trying to do too much, too soon.

Reaction Score
I think the second half was used by Geno to work on stuff hence the apparent loss of efficiency/intensity. For instance, not as much on ball pressure and stifling man to man and more of a match up zone look defense.

Nika got knocked around a bit in the second half and she was favoring and ankle. Hope it was just a tweak and doesn't result in more of an aggravation of her on going ankle issues (hopefully no off season surgery needed like Lou had to go through).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In a game with a typical "Senior day" nervous start
Evina couldn't hit her outside shots, Azzi only took 3 and Paige none
among other minor blips and peculiarities

It didn't matter at all as UConn destroyed Providence by 50+ (contrast that
with the tight away game.) and continues its march to the NCAA's

Is anyone out there going to give us a game?

Reaction Score
Very nice day for the Seniors. Nice of the Team to walk Dorka out today. Too bad her parents could not be their. Maybe someone did a video and will send it to them.

I am completely satisfied with this game. Offense, Defense, Substitutions, energy, effort, and Paige. I am delighted to see everyone play.
If Dorka returns, as Geno ( and she, I believe) have intimated, will she participate in Senior day next year as well?

Reaction Score
No worries. Paige hasn't forgotten how to shoot the ball. Today it appeared that she was focused on distributing the basketball. As for the competition, the semis and finals of the BE tournament will both be competitive games and the Big Dance will force the Huskies to play progressively stronger competition each and every game, just like every year, something that Geno and his coaching staff are as good at preparing for as any staff in basketball.
Paige actually dropped in a 3, but it was waved off because of a problem with the clock. Slim doesn't need to hunt shots when the team is shooting lights out. Last season she scored when needed. There seems to be no doubt that the stroke is ready and able. I doubt that Geno will have to go to the whip with all of the firepower this team possesses.

Reaction Score
Senior day. Geno said that you never know what to expect - some teams are more emotional, some teams less so. This team was surprisingly emotional. But not sure if that really is a surprise! One other great thing to note - Geno said even tho Dorka participated in senior day, he expects her to come back next season. Music to this Husky fans' ears!

PC got out to a 4-1 start. That lineup of Paige, Christyn, Evina, Dorka and Olivia was not a good lineup. We went the first 4 minutes without scoring a basket. I'd like to NOT see Evina ever go another game passing up every shot and taking 0. If that's going to cause a shooting slump like she had in this game, I'd rather see a few less assists and a few more shot attempts. Anyway, after the slow start, it was off to the races. It seemed like almost every few minutes there was a highlight reel play.
  • Olivia absolutely owning the post and single handedly getting 3 PC players into foul trouble. That continued into the 2nd half with Baskerville and Geary picking up fouls #4 each trying to guard Olivia. And her moves around the basket were phenomenal. Attacking, driving thru contact, and MAKING shots.
  • Paige with not 1, but 2 insane passes. One a full court bullet to Williams for a great layup, and one a no-look to Williams again for a swish 3.
  • Williams defense on Crooms who lit up UCONN for 28 in the first game, had 1 point and no shots at half time.
  • Tremendous alley oop from Azzi to Paige - even tho Paige missed it, you can see the future chemistry already for those 2.
  • The offensive rebounding was tremendous. For the game, we had 18 and outrebounded PC by almost 20. People have complained in the past about our bigs not taking advantage against smaller teams. That has not been the case lately and certainly was not the case today.
  • FT shooting was incredible. We only missed 4. Oliva went 3-7 so there you have it! :p
The announcers said that PC needed to compete better and that they were almost "star struck at the start of the battle". Couldn't disagree more. They had a nice comeback the last time these 2 teams met in January and lost ONLY by 8. That had to give them a ton of confidence. And they started the game holding UCONN to 1 point over 4+ minutes. That is NOT star struck. It's just UCONN with an ineffective starting 5, followed up by rotations that worked much better, and a 1st half epic beatdown. 25-4 and 26-6 in Q1 and Q2. Possibly as close to a perfect half of basketball as we've played in a long time.

2nd half was a bit of a different story. Credit to PC for coming out and playing hard. That has to give them good confidence going into the BET and facing other teams less talented than UCONN. But that's not surprising - we could do no wrong in H1. It's almost impossible to keep up that kind of perfect play. Hated seeing Sheppard get injured for PC. Always worry whenever it's a knee type of injury that it could be an ACL. Prayers that it's not.

The 3rd quarter was a bit more sloppy. Some bad passes that had no chance of being successful, point blank layups missed by Ducharme and Edwards, Williams trying to back down a bigger and stronger player wasting a shot attempt, etc. Q4 was much of the same. I get that there is a certain amount of letdown expected when you build a huge lead, and again, credit to PC for playing hard till the end, but the 2nd half won't go down as an exercise in well played basketball, that's for sure.

Bottom line, a great senior day.
  • Wonderful again seeing Paige not only on the floor, but doing "Paige" things.
  • Dorka with a double-double, half of her rebounds on the offensive end
  • Christyn with really good defense on PC's best player. Crooms scored most of her points when CW was not in the game
  • Even tho Olivia "only" had 13 and 8, she completely dominated the post and got numerous PC players in foul trouble.
  • Azzi, Caroline and Aaliyah with solid but unspectacular games. All did some nice things on the floor.
  • Great seeing Amari and Piath get into the game. I think they would have gotten in earlier if we'd played better in Q4. Amari really does have a sweet stroke and nice seeing her drain a 3!
Congrats again to the team and on to the BET. We just keep getting better and better! This was the 10th or 11th starting lineup of the season, and this current team has only been together and healthy for 2 games. Watch out WCBB! I hope we see lots of NASTY!
After a while, I began watching this game hoping no one ( on Providence) got really frustrated and started unnecessarily banging people around. I think there were a few really hard fouls ( Nika and CW each took one). I think that possibility is why Geno kept Paige on the bench as the game got into the final stages. There's much to be said that this team will not have any really challenging games through the Big East tournament. Clearly, DePaul, Villanova, and one or two others are capable. But UConn is returning to "full strength" and running in nine players that are all great. Paige will get a decent rest, and integrate some good practices before game one. I think Geno knows that even AZZI and Paige ( at least in the BE tournament ) need not get more than 20-25 minutes each in that competition. When " the fur really flies " in the Big Dance, however, things may change. But Geno has still to find that "killer" combination. But Paige will be starting.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If Dorka returns, as Geno ( and she, I believe) have intimated, will she participate in Senior day next year as well?
No. Geno has said that you get one chance. IMHO, Dorka is hedging her bets on WNBA this year or next, and if she had not participated today, and then gets input that she should go pro, she'd miss out.

Reaction Score
I hate to complain, but, when I open a post game blog and see something the size of a newspaper article I just skip to the next notation...I'm sure there is a great deal of good information there, but if it contains everything about the game, why should the rest of us bother to post?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No.... Well maybe.... Normally you get one senior day at the players choice. I believe Morgan Tuck and Caroline Doty wanted to have it with the players they came in with. Dorka's parents were not here so maybe Geno and CD make an exception next year if she returns.

Reaction Score
After a while, I began watching this game hoping no one ( on Providence) got really frustrated and started unnecessarily banging people around. I think there were a few really hard fouls ( Nika and CW each took one). I think that possibility is why Geno kept Paige on the bench as the game got into the final stages. There's much to be said that this team will not have any really challenging games through the Big East tournament. Clearly, DePaul, Villanova, and one or two others are capable. But UConn is returning to "full strength" and running in nine players that are all great. Paige will get a decent rest, and integrate some good practices before game one. I think Geno knows that even AZZI and Paige ( at least in the BE tournament ) need not get more than 20-25 minutes each in that competition. When " the fur really flies " in the Big Dance, however, things may change. But Geno has still to find that "killer" combination. But Paige will be starting.
I think everyone has to stop ultra-analyzing the team right now. I feel like it's a river in the mountains after a good rain. Get out of the way, grab a seat and enjoy the view. I don't see a need to "over-coach". If he goes into the NCAA tournament with 9 players playing great with team chemistry at such an incredible level, what could possibly be wrong with that? They're not forcing anything, it's just flowing. I actually fear the opposite, that suddenly we go back to 6 players and the bench gets tentative and unsure. Pretend he had Iowa next week: He would have everyone playing great at the same time and any one of those players can hit 2 or 3 shots or make plays that can blow a close game open. Keep a loose grip on those reins. We're ready.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I have to say that UConn gets an A+ for the way in which the sendoff for the seniors was handled. The capacity crowd as well, very respectful of four remarkable young women and all that they have accomplished.

And I hope it isn`t really a sendoff for Dorka because she is terrific and I would love to see her and Aaliyah dominate inside next year, giving DeBerry, Gabriel and Brady some additional time to get ready for prime time.

What a wonderful idea it was to play the Hungarian National Anthem in honor of Dorka. It is beautiful (ok, a bit long) but just great. And the team walking out with her, it was so special. A heartwarming contrast between Dorka`s elegance and Nika`s overflowing emotion, arm and arm by her side. Oh my.

Evina, Christyn and Olivia are a wonderful group who have had to deal with a lot over their time here but they have survived and are now playing some really "nasty" basketball. They stand proud and strong, and their work is not yet done.

Reaction Score
Note that Piath Gabriel came in for four minutes and 1) fought for a defensive rebound and managed to retain the ball when it was going out of bounds, 2) fought for an offensive rebound, grabbed it, went back up and got fouled (two points), and 3) pulled down four rebounds in total. All in four minutes. She's playing like a post that deserves to see serious action. Perhaps it won't be this year, but next year, she should see major minutes. No longer a long-term "work in progress."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not know if Geno said in his own words as opposed to some commentator? if Dorka is coming back but I do not see the benefit for Geno saying yes or no early. Many things can factor into it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Note that Piath Gabriel came in for four minutes and 1) fought for a defensive rebound and managed to retain the ball when it was going out of bounds, 2) fought for an offensive rebound, grabbed it, went back up and got fouled (two points), and 3) pulled down four rebounds in total. All in four minutes. She's playing like a post that deserves to see serious action. Perhaps it won't be this year, but next year, she should see major minutes. No longer a long-term "work in progress."
I'm not seeing things the same way you do. It won't be this year for Piath, so hopefully next year. Piath still has a substantial way to go to become an impact post for UCONN.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, what? I guess you didn’t watch last game where she was a mess out there in her limited time against St. John’s. If Dorka does return and with more polished players of Isunah Brade and Ayanna Patterson coming in an direction with Amari as the better passer, I disagree with your assessment. I am rooting for Piath but my eyes see something radically different than yours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom