Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

Reaction Score
If you don’t think Miller Lite has the Mojo attached to it, then you don’t know the Mojo. This years fuel just slapped you all right in the face.
How many Miller Lites must I drink at MSG on Saturday? For the mojo, of course.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hear me out.. maybe it was just a coach shooting off the hip after a tough loss and isn't anything deeper than that.

Reaction Score
Some of you people are ridiculous. He praised your team constantly in the press conference, praised Hurley multiple times, praised the fans and atmosphere (the $2 beers comments are similar to one he made about Creighton a few years ago when we played them on $1 beer night).

The comment about appreciating what you have I'm sure was his way of defending Hurley, with whom he's close. And mentioning how lucky you were to have HOF coaches on both the men's and women's side isn't an insult, it's a compliment to them, and a fact.

Cooley has never once said anything bad about UConn, and had often said it was great for the conference to have them back here where they belong.

We split the season series, so that's good for you guys.

But Cooley reeked of arrogance in that presser. And how in the world does he come to the conclusion that we don't appreciate winning? That is flat out absurd. And then with his next breath he implies UConn has an uneducated fan base and PeeCee has a superior fan base. That is insulting and uncalled for. Very low class.

And did it ever occur to Cooley or anyone in Rhode Island that UConn's rise had nothing to do with "luck." We are a state flagship university in a conference with tiny private Catholic colleges. Our rise was inevitable. And that ain't gonna change as long as we are in the BE. It's not arrogance. It is a reality of the landscape.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Next season vs PC:

D2B5A60A-1A6E-4CBE-97FB-20C08E6071C2.jpeg

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
How many Miller Lites must I drink at MSG on Saturday? For the mojo, of course.

Start with a healthy base of 4. If the game starts turning in to a similar situation like last time increase the consumption quickly until UConn rights the ship.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So why did he finish up his line praising UConn by saying the fans should appreciate, that’s the right way, like the friars do. I’m not quoting but he finished by basically saying “providence is better”. He never actually made a coherent point about what it is the fans take for granted or don’t take for granted. Had he rambled and moved on without saying “like the friars” I would’ve taken it as praise. It was not praise
Why?

He's Providence College's most public face and highest paid employee, isn't he?

Once you accept that he is the school's strongest cheerleader, the question shifts to, "How could he not?"

"But he's being smarmy!" isn't going to make him look bad, and it isn't going to make UConn fans look good.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Hear me out.. maybe it was just a coach shooting off the hip after a tough loss and isn't anything deeper than that.
And maybe message boards are everyone shooting off at the hip and nothing deeper than that. Some people post on social about the weather, some people post about people posting about the weather.

Reaction Score
Cooley is a great coach and ambassador for the league. It's funny how much "we don't care about PC" yet every thread about them goes multiple pages.

PC being good is good for UConn and further ices out BC, Cuse, Pitt from the northeast.
There are PeeCee guys on this tread insulting us just as their coach did. That's how.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Cooley is a great coach and ambassador for the league. It's funny how much "we don't care about PC" yet every thread about them goes multiple pages.

PC being good is good for UConn and further ices out BC, Cuse, Pitt from the northeast.
I care about PC. I was one of the people who voted NO to the recent twitter poll on going to the ACC - I like what the NBE is. I like the PC rivalry especially with what Cooley has built the program into. I like that Danny knows the Rhode Island press horde and the history there.

UConn fans very much care about PC - that was obvious on Wednesday. I don't see a lot of "not our rival" type comments. I think everyone really happy not to be playing east carolina.

Reaction Score
I've spent 24 hours thinking on this. There are three angles:

1- Cooley was talking to the "hurley has to show me he can win it in March" crowd. If he was, I share his opinion. I've posted the Kenpom Trends several times on this board. We are plucking recruits as they are rising in the rankings and our classes and the future of this program remain really bright. There is a portion of this fan base that comes out after a loss who drive me crazy enough to avoid the yard. That's a bummer because I love the team and the community around it. We've got our share of bozos.

BUT - Ed jumps the shark when he says that's what Friar's do. Sorry Ed - you don't get to generalize us, your fans and place one above the other. And sorry @Friarsnoop you don't get to come on here and gloss over that fact.

2. Cooley was talking to his own fans indirectly - It's possible that with their recent success providence fans are growing in their expectations of the program and taking it out on the team when they underperform. Perhaps Ed is using this is a cautionary tale about supporting the team through thick and thin. Maybe its possible he heard something from his own fans behind the bench. In this case "that's what Friar's do" makes much more sense. He's projecting what he wants his own fans to be. That said - if this was his angle, get bent for using UConn as a means to make your point.

3. He's picking a fight because he knows the likelihood of seeing UConn again on Thursday of the BET and he wants the fuel the fire so he can motivate his team. He touched the most incendiary nerve connecting the two programs. The age old story of established success vs. up and coming success. I wouldn't put it past Savvy old Ed to stir the pot a bit.

So its one of the three and we wont ever know which. But one things for sure, UConn fans are entitled to take some umbrage here and friar fans gate keeping that in our forum can take a walk.
Not trying to gloss over the comments at all. When Cooley came to Providence, the season ticket base was down to 3000, and there was no student interest, primarily due to a number of off the court incidents before he got there. Now, the season ticket base is over 10,000 and the vast majority of the student body shows up for every game. He's mentioned many times how proud he is of our fans, so that's clearly what he was referring to. He's also talked about wanting to bring a championship to Friartown, but making sure everyone doesn't lost sight of enjoying the process. He was also definitely sticking up for Hurley. He did the same thing when Hurley was at URI in year 4 or 5, when their fans were bitching about him.

If you want to make a bigger deal out of it, have fun.

Reaction Score
Start with a healthy base of 4. If the game starts turning in to a similar situation like last time increase the consumption quickly until UConn rights the ship.

That seems simple enough. I can get that done before tipoff.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Not trying to gloss over the comments at all. When Cooley came to Providence, the season ticket base was down to 3000, and there was no student interest, primarily due to a number of off the court incidents before he got there. Now, the season ticket base is over 10,000 and the vast majority of the student body shows up for every game. He's mentioned many times how proud he is of our fans, so that's clearly what he was referring to. He's also talked about wanting to bring a championship to Friartown, but making sure everyone doesn't lost sight of enjoying the process. He was also definitely sticking up for Hurley. He did the same thing when Hurley was at URI in year 4 or 5, when their fans were bitching about him.

If you want to make a bigger deal out of it, have fun.
What makes you an expert on what Ed Cooley meant to say?
What makes Ed Cooley an expert on UConn fans?

You see the problem with self assurance here right?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

"But it's not fair! He knows that Bryce Hopkins got outplayed. Why won't he admit it? Why does he just say it was all his fault? And if we're so great, then why does he imply we have a crummy attitude sometimes? It's not fair that he leaves the impression that after the interview, he can chuckle and wink and smile more privately about getting under our skin? How can we let him get away with that? Don't others see that?"

After the January game, a Friar fan quoted a Boneyarder's pre-game score prediction of 89-69 UConn, and said it didn't age well. It pretty much came to fruition two nights ago.

Reaction Score
Someone in the AD should run the math on the deficit created by having $2 beers for every game, versus the benefit of a rowdier crowd and subsequent $ value to the school of winning more games. How much cheap beer can we give out before it's no longer advantageous? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom