Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

Reaction Score
I have no doubt they made a pyramid with cans they collected from the trash. But I didn't hear about or see any cans thrown on the court last night.
One student did throw an empty but it was during half time when the court was empty. The PC students were throwing them with 1 minute left in the game against Nova this past weekend.

Reaction Score
I got a laugh from Coach Cooley's comment about the beers. I felt he was just trying to be funny there in the interview. Thankfully did not see stuff thrown by the students. The REALLY loud duck You Friars chant near the end of the game was not a great moment however. They can come up with something better than that I would think. Quite a few young kids in the building. The students led the way all night in the noise department and were great all season in Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn students are classy drunks.
Excited Wheel Of Fortune GIF by ABC Network

CL82

Reaction Score
I have no doubt they made a pyramid with cans they collected from the trash.
About to post a reply, and then I realized that was sarcasm.
See I Know GIF by Tristen J. Winger

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
PC lost because WC was wearing white to an opponents white out. Jus sayin

Reactions: pj

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So, If $2 Beer Night was responsible for Providence getting blown out, shouldn't we be having $2 Beer Night for every game?
Yes and architecture and engineering courses might utilize this approach.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
About to post a reply, and then I realized that was sarcasm.
See I Know GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Those kids don't look old enough to vote never mind drink. Of course they got the empties from the trash. Head bang

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yep. Win with class, not like an ass.

Dumbest chat is "overrated ..."
Plus is should be limited to duck Fuke!

CL82

Reaction Score
Those kids don't look old enough to vote never mind drink. Of course they got the empties from the trash. Head bang
You were probably right that they are young and likely up past their bedtimes. They both look somewhat sleepy to me.

Reaction Score
The Providence athletic director had to go on the PA system literally 5 days ago in their game against Villanova to tell students to stop throwing beer cans on to the court, and then Cooley has the gall to say that UConn fans are arrogant.
Where did he say anyone was arrogant? Seems to me that we're reading way too much into a funny, off the cuff comment.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you don’t think Miller Lite has the Mojo attached to it, then you don’t know the Mojo. This years fuel just slapped you all right in the face.
You’re welcome.

Reaction Score
Right here. We don't need lectures from that man after witnessing the end of the KO era.

I didn't necessarily mind what is quoted here, but when I listened again to the short video clip I missed the part at the end where he said, "that's what the Friars do", SMH. He should have left that out considering their fans were throwing beer cans onto the court in their victory this past Saturday.

Also, the Friars don't have nearly the national brand recognition and respect that UConn does as a blue blood or whatever. UConn gets mentioned with the likes of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, and hell I will throw in Nova, too, not just in national college basketball circles, but NBA circles. Providence never gets mentioned in the same breath as those schools. Go look at the "Law and Order" thread here on the Boneyard. The accused criminal in that episode who was a former #1 recruit says he had offers from Duke, North Carolina, and UConn. It never occurred for the screenwriters to say Duke, North Carolina, and Providence (I am actually laughing as I type this).

I respect Providence and Ed Cooley a lot and wish them success except against UConn. But he should chill with the holier than thou act.

CL82

Reaction Score
Where did he say anyone was arrogant? Seems to me that we're reading way too much into a funny, off the cuff comment.
That was my reaction until I listen to the presser. He hit it a few times, so it really wasn’t off the cuff. He comes off as being very butt hurt about the loss.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
That was my reaction until I listen to the presser. He hit it a few times, so it really wasn’t off the cuff. He comes off as being very butt hurt about the BEAT DOWN

Fixed it for you

He was walking with a noticeable limp

Reaction Score
I have to hand it to Cooley for being original. Never heard an excuse that they lost the game due to a beer induced crowd making too much noice. My son came home with no voice and he doesn’t even drink.

CL82

Reaction Score
Cooley was definitely not salty guys. Don't even think about insinuating that he was salty
Did I say he was?

Passive aggressive? Definitely.

Whiny? No doubt about it.

But salty? No, not particularly.

Reaction Score
Did I say he was?

Passive aggressive? Definitely.

Whiny? No doubt about it.

But salty? No, not particularly.
Saying “X is definitely NOT mad” or whatever is a common joke on the internet

Reaction Score
I'm amazed that EC isn't man enough to admit that they got their backsides handed to them. We won because we outplayed them by a massive amount, not because beers were discounted.
I don’t like EC, the amount he is overrated on this board is laughable, but he did say exactly this.

Reaction Score
Cooley (who BTW I actually like as a coach) definitely needs to step up his team's performance in "NCGs" (Not Close Games).

After last night's curbstomping, his record at Providence in games decided by 10 or more points vs. reasonable-quality conference opponents is a paltry 63-73 (46.3%)

In contrast, Hurley's UConn teams are 36-13 (73.5%).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom