Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have no idea if they were or were not barking at the dog but I do know they weren't doing much of anything (other than watching) during the last 15 minutes of the game last night.

Reaction Score
Hey, speaking of MSG, I look forward to the annual tradition of sad Friar fans on the late Thursday night train out. Enjoy that again this year.

Reaction Score
Hey, speaking of MSG, I look forward to the annual tradition of sad Friar fans on the late Thursday night train out. Enjoy that again this year.
Get this childish Friar dude and his constant envy off our board.

Reaction Score
Duck Cooley!
Really liked him but lost respect for him after he went after our fans. All BE and top conference fans are rabid including many children on their board. No need for that!!

Reaction Score
Really liked him but lost respect for him after he went after our fans. All BE and top conference fans are rabid including many children on their board. No need for that!!
Some of you people are ridiculous. He praised your team constantly in the press conference, praised Hurley multiple times, praised the fans and atmosphere (the $2 beers comments are similar to one he made about Creighton a few years ago when we played them on $1 beer night).

The comment about appreciating what you have I'm sure was his way of defending Hurley, with whom he's close. And mentioning how lucky you were to have HOF coaches on both the men's and women's side isn't an insult, it's a compliment to them, and a fact.

Cooley has never once said anything bad about UConn, and had often said it was great for the conference to have them back here where they belong.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Really do not get the hate for Cooley. He is great for the conference, and whether we UConn fans like it or not he is good for Providence. I would much rather have UConn beat down a well coached, tough PC team than the other option. It is better for UConn to be in a league that is 10 deep with talented teams and good coaches. Forces our team to have to stay sharp and focused. Look where we just came from and how miserable it was for fans and UConn.

l have had mostly poor experiences with PC fans, but I doubt all are like the ones that sat behind me at the XL Center last year. Every fan base has those types, us included, but some more so than others.

Reaction Score
Cooley may have been misunderstood, but it seemed pretty clear that he was saying PC fans are better than UConn fans. That’s a shot at all of us and he can be roasted for saying it. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a nice guy or a good coach. Geez.
Aside from that, over the years, PC fans have often acted like Philly fans. It isn’t really a great argument on his part.

Of course our fanbase is spoiled. That’s what success does to all fanbases. That’s why Alabama would fire Saban if he went 4-8 once. I’m glad PC fans are grateful for what they have, but give them a taste of what we’ve had and then take it away and they’d be grumbling too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hey, seriously, did I miss a post where you showed someone they were fos?
I'm not seeing anything like that.

All I'm seeing is that you were willing to bet big money with @AntG168 against the truthfulness of something in a Tweet that got deleted (I never saw it), and here you're replyinig to @FfldCntyFan, who said he didn't see anything that may or may not have been in the deleted Tweet, whether it happened or not.

I'm left thinking I've missed something. Did I? I'm asking you, @AntG168, or @FfldCntyFan. TIA.

As to Cooley, both, he and most fans 'upset' by what he said are throwing around the word "arrogant" too loosely for it to have parallel meaning. He's saying that too many UConn fans are insufficiently appreciative of the basketball programs' 3-decade demonstrated history of hard-earned, well-deserved, and sustained success, and that sometimes the fan base loses perspective and a sense of gratitude, and behaves immaturely. And the UConn fans who dislike such claims are replying MYOB, and, "Who are you to talk?"

As far as I can tell, he raised the matter rather independently of anything else in the post-game interview, pretty much because he had the microphone and likes to riff. How important is it to take his bait, especially after a convincing victory?

He added all kinds of irrelevant comments, primarily to score points with reporters who need edgy angles and juicy quotes to boost their audiences/readership and generate revenue for themselves or their employers. The point is to attract attention, including getting a rise out of UConn fans, and it seems to have worked. He's trying to turn up the heat in order to generate a rivalry. It's his job.

He intends to be the leading media personality for Providence College, no less than UConn's head basketball coaches have done the same. It's a formula that works.

If anybody thinks that he's just a feckless pest, and that Providence doesn't matter, then what's so bothersome about him and what he says, whether it's boastful, irrelevant, arrogant or anything else?

Getting UConn riled up is what Ed Cooley wants. It benefits him to do so. It's provocative. It's a form of trolling, and it's effective. Why wouldn't he continue doing it?

For some on The Boneyard, it's like he's giving head fakes, and people are leaving their feet, and then complaining that he's not even a good shooter. How much does it matter? He and Friar fans are attempting to get into UConn fans' heads and evidently succeeding enough to continue their attempts.

Before game one, Cooley said that UConn looked like the best team in the country, and then he notched a victory. That raised his team's profile.

After Wednesday's game, DH said that UConn had beat a very good team, and Ed said, "We played poorly. It was all my fault. UConn played great. We'll be better moving forward."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

There's the game inside the head, and the game on the court.
The first only matters if it affects court performance in either direction.
It cannot be ignored, but it can't be allowed to distract, because that is its only potential value.

Prepare, perform, prosper.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Talk to Jim Calhoun about how PC fans behaved once we rose to the top of the conference. The Pitt and PC fans were brutal, classless losers. I doubt much has changed.
I remember this time period. Winning 3 regular season championships outright in a row was nervously laughed off with comments of "but no final fours!"

Then after '99 and beyond, we were the subject of hate filled threads on every Big East message board. I mean real hate - the kind fueled by burning jealousy and self-loathing insecurity.

That's the thing. Providence is no more special to us than any other average Big East member, past or present. Yet they cannot help but feel extra passionate about us. It's not arrogance. We earned it! With Calhoun's help, yes. But you cannot separate his accomplishments from the school's - they are one and the same.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"This environment is a good an environment as you have in college basketball,” Cooley said after UConn’s 87-69 victory Wednesday. “These fans deserve a lot of credit. They willed their team today.”

The nerve of Cooley!

Reaction Score
"This environment is a good an environment as you have in college basketball,” Cooley said after UConn’s 87-69 victory Wednesday. “These fans deserve a lot of credit. They willed their team today.”

The nerve of Cooley!
Can't get access to full quotes in the bowels of the XL Center?

Reaction Score

Friar J. To quote you from last week. “Scoreboard”

You know that you want no part of UCONN in MSG on a neutral floor.

Reaction Score
Some of you people are ridiculous. He praised your team constantly in the press conference, praised Hurley multiple times, praised the fans and atmosphere (the $2 beers comments are similar to one he made about Creighton a few years ago when we played them on $1 beer night).

The comment about appreciating what you have I'm sure was his way of defending Hurley, with whom he's close. And mentioning how lucky you were to have HOF coaches on both the men's and women's side isn't an insult, it's a compliment to them, and a fact.

Cooley has never once said anything bad about UConn, and had often said it was great for the conference to have them back here where they belong.

Agree with everything except "some of your people" it's really "most of us people" we are insane.

Reaction Score
Cooley may have been misunderstood, but it seemed pretty clear that he was saying PC fans are better than UConn fans. That’s a shot at all of us and he can be roasted for saying it. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a nice guy or a good coach. Geez.
Aside from that, over the years, PC fans have often acted like Philly fans. It isn’t really a great argument on his part.

Of course our fanbase is spoiled. That’s what success does to all fanbases. That’s why Alabama would fire Saban if he went 4-8 once. I’m glad PC fans are grateful for what they have, but give them a taste of what we’ve had and then take it away and they’d be grumbling too.
him saying "that's what Friars do" in reference to their fans like 3 days after they were throwing beer cans on the court is an interesting move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
him saying "that's what Friars do" in reference to their fans like 3 days after they were throwing beer cans on the court is an interesting move.
Exactly. I almost feel sorry for Cooley. He saw what a big-time college atmosphere was like with the white out in the energy at Gampel. And in the middle of a really strong season, the best he has is what few Friar fans that actually come to the games throwing beer cans on the court. So he’s reduced whining about two dollar beer night to justify his team’s devastating 18 point loss. It’s sad really.

Reaction Score

So why did he finish up his line praising UConn by saying the fans should appreciate, that’s the right way, like the friars do. I’m not quoting but he finished by basically saying “providence is better”. He never actually made a coherent point about what it is the fans take for granted or don’t take for granted. Had he rambled and moved on without saying “like the friars” I would’ve taken it as praise. It was not praise

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

I've spent 24 hours thinking on this. There are three angles:

1- Cooley was talking to the "hurley has to show me he can win it in March" crowd. If he was, I share his opinion. I've posted the Kenpom Trends several times on this board. We are plucking recruits as they are rising in the rankings and our classes and the future of this program remain really bright. There is a portion of this fan base that comes out after a loss who drive me crazy enough to avoid the yard. That's a bummer because I love the team and the community around it. We've got our share of bozos.

BUT - Ed jumps the shark when he says that's what Friar's do. Sorry Ed - you don't get to generalize us, your fans and place one above the other. And sorry @Friarsnoop you don't get to come on here and gloss over that fact.

2. Cooley was talking to his own fans indirectly - It's possible that with their recent success providence fans are growing in their expectations of the program and taking it out on the team when they underperform. Perhaps Ed is using this is a cautionary tale about supporting the team through thick and thin. Maybe its possible he heard something from his own fans behind the bench. In this case "that's what Friar's do" makes much more sense. He's projecting what he wants his own fans to be. That said - if this was his angle, get bent for using UConn as a means to make your point.

3. He's picking a fight because he knows the likelihood of seeing UConn again on Thursday of the BET and he wants the fuel the fire so he can motivate his team. He touched the most incendiary nerve connecting the two programs. The age old story of established success vs. up and coming success. I wouldn't put it past Savvy old Ed to stir the pot a bit.

So its one of the three and we wont ever know which. But one things for sure, UConn fans are entitled to take some umbrage here and friar fans gate keeping that in our forum can take a walk.

Reaction Score
Cooley is no more of a “good guy” than Hurley is. He’s a politician. And those comments were shots and back handed compliments. I know he’s Mother Teresa in Providence. But to most others it was easy to sniff out his BS the other night. He came off real Beoheimish. Which is fine because he isn’t an the good deity is painted out to be. He’s a man with pride. And his pride was bruised the other night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom