Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Now imagine it was Hurley….

I'm not sure what you're hinting at? If Hurley said the same things about PC?

I really like Hurley but I can all but guarantee none of his pressers are laced with nuance and hidden messages lol.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Some of you people are ridiculous. He praised your team constantly in the press conference, praised Hurley multiple times, praised the fans and atmosphere (the $2 beers comments are similar to one he made about Creighton a few years ago when we played them on $1 beer night).

The comment about appreciating what you have I'm sure was his way of defending Hurley, with whom he's close. And mentioning how lucky you were to have HOF coaches on both the men's and women's side isn't an insult, it's a compliment to them, and a fact.

Cooley has never once said anything bad about UConn, and had often said it was great for the conference to have them back here where they belong.
This is how I think it was intended, but concluding with, "That's what Friars do," changed the entire narrative for the negative.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is the $2 beer night unlimited, or one per ticket holder?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

You really think Ed didn't know what he said would be taken poorly by UConn fans? And that's fine, his fans hate UConn fans and that's where his bread is buttered so it make sense. But he and Friars fans don't get to play dumb.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're hinting at? If Hurley said the same things about PC?

I really like Hurley but I can all but guarantee none of his pressers are laced with nuance and hidden messages lol.
If Hurley criticized the other teams fans after an 18 point loss this board and every other BE board would kill him

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've spent 24 hours thinking on this. There are three angles:

1- Cooley was talking to the "hurley has to show me he can win it in March" crowd. If he was, I share his opinion. I've posted the Kenpom Trends several times on this board. We are plucking recruits as they are rising in the rankings and our classes and the future of this program remain really bright. There is a portion of this fan base that comes out after a loss who drive me crazy enough to avoid the yard. That's a bummer because I love the team and the community around it. We've got our share of bozos.

BUT - Ed jumps the shark when he says that's what Friar's do. Sorry Ed - you don't get to generalize us, your fans and place one above the other. And sorry @Friarsnoop you don't get to come on here and gloss over that fact.

2. Cooley was talking to his own fans indirectly - It's possible that with their recent success providence fans are growing in their expectations of the program and taking it out on the team when they underperform. Perhaps Ed is using this is a cautionary tale about supporting the team through thick and thin. Maybe its possible he heard something from his own fans behind the bench. In this case "that's what Friar's do" makes much more sense. He's projecting what he wants his own fans to be. That said - if this was his angle, get bent for using UConn as a means to make your point.

3. He's picking a fight because he knows the likelihood of seeing UConn again on Thursday of the BET and he wants the fuel the fire so he can motivate his team. He touched the most incendiary nerve connecting the two programs. The age old story of established success vs. up and coming success. I wouldn't put it past Savvy old Ed to stir the pot a bit.

So its one of the three and we wont ever know which. But one things for sure, UConn fans are entitled to take some umbrage here and friar fans gate keeping that in our forum can take a walk.
Or 4) Cooley got a dramatic beat down from a team that has dramatically more success and brand recognition coached by a coach with whom he has a long time rivalry in a packed arena filled with enthusiastic fans and his inferiority complex got the better of him.

It’s fine. It has to be tough for Cooley to lose by 18 points to the team that is everything he wishes his team was, and in front of fans giving incredible support that he wishes he had and this after fans of his program, embarrass themselves, and his university by throwing beer cans onto the court. I could see why he would want to label Connecticut fans. Kind of feels like a cognitive dissonance thing. I’m glad that Dan Hurley is too classy to label Providence fans as thugs. He doesn’t need to, their actions define them. Danny is happy here and loves the insane amount of fan support that the gets so he doesn’t need to reflexively try to diminishing other teams fans.

As I said before, I feel a little sorry for Cooley. He seems like an OK guy, but being the head coach of Providence has to be a little disappointing. I am sure takes a toll on him.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe one beer can actually made it on the court but the rest that didn’t reach ended up drenching/hitting media row which isn’t any better…
Lol, seriously is that their defense? “Well yeah old or fans throw beer cans at the court but they’re so lame only one of them actually made it to the court.”

Ha ha ha that is so Providence.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is how I think it was intended, but concluding with, "That's what Friars do," changed the entire narrative for the negative.
Yeah, because, calling our fans arrogant was such a compliment.

:rolleyes:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Someone in the AD should run the math on the deficit created by having $2 beers for every game, versus the benefit of a rowdier crowd and subsequent $ value to the school of winning more games. How much cheap beer can we give out before it's no longer advantageous? ;)
"Cheep beer," is the key term in your post. If I'm not mistaken, only the Miller Lites were $2 and when they get them in bulk for about $1/pc, they are still in the black.

Unless smuggled (and it was), alcohol of any kind wasn't available at Gampel before last season. Non- Miller concessions and ticket sales still pay to keep the lights on.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL says the Providence fan who shows up on the Connecticut board after an 18 point beat down trying to justify his coaches classless insult of the opposing opposing teams fans after his fans were caught throwing beer cans on to the court.

By the way, congratulations on trolling your own fans with the “one of us is a secret Husky fan working a long con” ploy. It made zero sense, and yet your brethren and fell for it hook, line and sinker. It was very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Calling someone arrogant isn’t a praise lmaoo. Anything positive he said before that is what made it backhanded. And then to end with “that’s what friars do”. Your head is in the sand. He wasn’t “complimenting” us he was lecturing us. Because he’s been made to believe he’s the standard of what’s “good” in the BE. We didn’t ask Ed his opinion and neither did the reporter. Take the whooping and go back to Providence where they care.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it stand to reason a PC fan who's heard Cooley pressers and sound bytes for a decade have a better read on the guy?
Definitely Yes, and possibly beside the point.

As a worst case scenario, wouldn't it stand to reason that @Friarsnoop and @FriarJ would cheer their guy for seeming so reasonable & polite while trolling their biggest rival? They too get to sound reasonable while bugging us.

Most of the longest threads on the Boneyard are internal squabbles between people and factions who are in strong agreement about what they know is most important to them:

We are UConn Husky fans who want our team to play well & win every game.

This forum's lengthiest and longest-active thread is about pizza. Not even the many differences of opinion about our preferences and favorites can distract us from firm belief that, OVERALL, we like pizza and are very fortunate to have some of the finest options in the world easily available to us.

Here, we are flailing around on yet another variety of, "Yeah, but . . . ," and this time it's after a very convincing and satisfying win.

Last time it was after a win that looked ragged near the end. The time before that it was after a close road loss to a well-regarded foe that was on a solid win streak.

Nothing requires us to keep feeding and watering unhealthy thoughts and feelings we dislike.

Once again, I invite you to turn your attention to cheering for our team to prepare for tip-off at Madison Square Garden in a little more than 24 hours, less than two weeks before the Big East Tournament begins at the same site where we have enjoyed so much success for so many years.

We have been building toward this all season long.
What a blessed opportunity . . .

One
Game
At
A
Time

CL82

Reaction Score
Is the $2 beer night unlimited, or one per ticket holder?
Wasn’t there, but it sounded like unlimited, but only for the first half.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The comment that you overreacted to was made in jest. My apologies for not ending it with /sarcasm.

• I did not see your comment in response to my questioning Cooley’s manhood (I did see Sprungfield’s). Regardless, Cooley came off very small with his post-game statements. I don’t know if this was within or out of character for him as I don’t follow him or PC that closely. Time will tell on Cooley as he may have already peaked or he may find a way to take PC to a higher level than he already has. In all candor I won’t lose any sleep over it way).
  • I’m not sure why you got as worked up about it as you did but c’est la vie.
  • If our paths ever do cross at a game/tournament/etc., my offer to buy you a few beers and shoot the breeze still holds.

Reaction Score
Where did the “that’s what an educated fan base does. That’s what Friars do” come from then?

That was completely unnecessary. He was totally fine until he spewed that nonsense. Came off completely butthurt.
Don’t be silly. He was “praising” our fan base. Lmaoo. Having a Cooley my discussion with PC fans is pointless. I mean they gave a man who won his first tournament game at PC last season a LIFE TIME contract

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom