Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

Reaction Score
Cooley isn't a dumb guy and he's extremely media savvy, he knew exactly what he was doing with these comments. He stuck up for Hurley, riled up UConn fans, and made a major shout out to Providence fans.

He knows PC's place as the little engine that could and by making this rivalry bigger than it is it helps elevate Providence. His comments were douchy but calculated, he accomplished what he set out to accomplish.

Reaction Score
Don’t be silly. He was “praising” our fan base. Lmaoo. Having a Cooley my discussion with PC fans is pointless. I mean they gave a man who won his first tournament game at PC last season a LIFE TIME contract
I would hope he didn’t mean it in this way, but it was hilarious that that comment immediately followed “look forward to the next [championship]” or some such. Like PC has a “next one” to look forward to, lmao; maybe work on winning one first, jack-o-lantern-head

Reaction Score
Cooley isn't a dumb guy and he's extremely media savvy, he knew exactly what he was doing with these comments. He stuck up for Hurley, riled up UConn fans, and made a major shout out to Providence fans.

He knows PC's place as the little engine that could and by making this rivalry bigger than it is it helps elevate Providence. His comments were douchy but calculated, he accomplished what he set out to accomplish.
This makes much more sense than the he was just praising UConn fans like the good guy he is nonsense

Reaction Score

#gluttonforpunishment

Reaction Score
We were insulted by your coach. Us poor unwashed, uneducated, arrogant UConn fans. Cooley went far beyond the bounds of good taste. And then he tried to write off our success as lucky. It's low rent at best. JC never went this low talking Pee Cee.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're hinting at? If Hurley said the same things about PC?

I really like Hurley but I can all but guarantee none of his pressers are laced with nuance and hidden messages lol.
Hurley was gracious in victory and complimentary of a worthy foe. Refreshingly low key and mature. He saved his humor for comments about finally being on the beneficial side of a cheap beer night.
You really think Ed didn't know what he said would be taken poorly by UConn fans? And that's fine, his fans hate UConn fans and that's where his bread is buttered so it make sense. But he and Friars fans don't get to play dumb.
Sure they do . . . so long as we are aware of the process and stay unrattled.

REMEMBER: UConn let its court performance make a stronger argument than anything here.

When I find myself multiple times in agreement with @FriarJ (imagine that!), and completely unthreatened* by even the worst spin on Ed Cooley's comments (more-likely-than-not back-handed compliments, disingenuousness, gamesmanship, etc.), I know that I'm not going to inform, relax, or meaningfully shift my my fellow UConn partisans.

* except for the extent to which my fellow UConn cohorts seemed so needlessly perturbed.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Hurley was gracious in victory and complimentary of a worthy foe. Refreshingly low key and mature. He saved his humor for comments about finally being on the beneficial side of a cheap beer night.

Sure they do . . . so long as we are aware of the process and stay unrattled.

REMEMBER: UConn let its court performance make a stronger argument than anything here.

When I find myself multiple times in agreement with @FriarJ (imagine that!), and completely unthreatened* by even the worst spin on Ed Cooley's comments (more-likely-than-not back-handed compliments, disingenuousness, gamesmanship, etc.), I know that I'm not going to inform, relax, or meaningfully shift my my fellow UConn partisans.

* except for the extent to which my fellow UConn cohorts seemed so needlessly perturbed.
my cousin vinny GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ok folks, since Ed thinks we are arrogant and spoiled, you can support the Husky Ticket Project by showing your pride in that label.

My wife would say this has nothing to do with basketball in relation to me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So your coach choosing to insult the winning team’s fans after getting an 18 point beat down wasn’t classless? Okay then.

Lol, is there ever going to be a time when PC fans aren’t going to be coming to our board looking for attention? You guys are a perfectly adequate little program and from a fine little college in America’s smallest state. You really should be to be comfortable with that. It’s entirely adequate… for you.

Reaction Score
I think the question that everyone's neglected to ask is:

If Sacreds are sacred, what are $2 miller lites? and how do we capitalize on their _______-ness?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, exactly that. We are spoiled and arrogant. Some arrogance is deserved perhaps, especially the WBB fans. But what's he supposed to do? Communicate to Providence fans that they need to know their place, which is lower in the pecking order? Of course not.

Look what has happened. UConn fans are acting butthurt, PC fans are backing their guy, it's almost like it's more of a rivalry now. Wow, there's no chance Cooley wanted that is there? ;)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cooley is a schmuck and the title of this thread is stupid.

UConn would have thrown Providence into a pit if the beer cost $25 a can.

Cooley reminds me of a less-talented Mike Jarvis.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol, if by “hurt and insulted” you mean “amused”, I am!

I mean, I guess Ed Cooley was “hurt and insulted” by the epic beat down he got in Storrs. I can understand that. Being the 20th ranked team in the nation in losing to another team by 18 points, probably stings quite a bit. Still, for him to name call at the winning teams fans? Well, I think we can agree it was pretty classless even if he was hurt and insulted that his team lost by such a sizable margin.

Speaking of hurt and insulted, I guess you must be pretty stung by that loss, huh? Otherwise, I can’t see how you would spend time on another team site trying to justify your coach choosing to call the winning teams fans names in a post game press conference. I mean, that’s the kind of thing that you should just be embarrassed by and let it die down. But to come to the winning team’s site and defend it? Wow. That loss must really be burning a hole in your head.

Hey, so any luck tracking down the “UConn fan” who you claim running a ‘long con’ on the Providence board? Lol. I hope that is you trolling other Providence fans because if you’re not, that is some serious paranoia.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, exactly that. We are spoiled and arrogant. Some arrogance is deserved perhaps, especially the WBB fans. But what's he supposed to do? Communicate to Providence fans that they need to know their place, which is lower in the pecking order? Of course not.

Look what has happened. UConn fans are acting butthurt, PC fans are backing their guy, it's almost like it's more of a rivalry now. Wow, there's no chance Cooley wanted that is there? ;)
Pretty amazing, huh?

UConn fans can't let the results on the court do the talking.

But then, even with a couple of decent assists from SJ and me, Friar can't keep from stubbing his toe and stumbling while chasing the compulsion to 'explain' CL82's 'upset' to him.

It's not enough for him to be a big fish in the little Fry pond, and less of a putz here than the fake Husky fan trolls: greedy & foolish, snatching defeat from a low key victory from overreaching with one hand and patting himself on the back with the other.

Even big Ed knows to just smile, say some nice things, and drop some allusions, while continuing to flap the jaws of affability.

Wonder how this adventure will be reported back on Friar Talk.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Why do I have a feeling Providence will be having a $2 beer night the next time we play in Providence?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Why do I have a feeling Providence will be having a $2 beer night the next time we play in Providence?
I think it’s a dry campus so most of those students are getting bussed in to get sloshed at the Dunk and sing some Taylor Swift songs.

CL82

Reaction Score
Cheap beer is never a bad thing. Friar fans should be forced to drink in the concourse for everyone’s safety though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom