Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Coach Admits $2 Beers Helped Fuel UConn Victory

Reaction Score
Cooley (who BTW I actually like as a coach) definitely needs to step up his team's performance in "NCGs" (Not Close Games).

After last night's curbstomping, his record at Providence in games decided by 10 or more points vs. reasonable-quality conference opponents is a paltry 63-73 (46.3%)

In contrast, Hurley's UConn teams are 36-13 (73.5%).
Yep, that's been the recipe for us. Blowouts we win, close games we lose.

Reaction Score
Yep, that's been the recipe for us. Blowouts we win, close games we lose.

Yep, the other relevant/interesting thing is that we also don't lose "badly" that often.

PC loses badly much more often than they blow teams out.

There's a lot more metrics that you'd have to factor in (pre-game line, KP rankings of the matchup, etc) to do a proper analysis that I dont have the time to look into...but those W-L #'s in my post above are for all "In-Conference" games, and only OOC games vs. ACC, Big10, Big12, PAC12, and I threw in A-10. No OOC creampuff games included.

Reaction Score
Cooley (who BTW I actually like as a coach) definitely needs to step up his team's performance in "NCGs" (Not Close Games).

After last night's curbstomping, his record at Providence in games decided by 10 or more points vs. reasonable-quality conference opponents is a paltry 63-73 (46.3%)

In contrast, Hurley's UConn teams are 36-13 (73.5%).
I love it. Fire Cooley he can only win in close games

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Providence athletic director had to go on the PA system literally 5 days ago in their game against Villanova to tell students to stop throwing beer cans on to the court, and then Cooley has the gall to say that UConn fans are arrogant.
Apples and oranges.

His brief soundbite criticism was centered on telling UConn fans to count their blessings around 3 decades of sustained success. Of course it fit with his own brand-building ambitions, but that is nonethess where his emphasis was.
I'm amazed that EC isn't man enough to admit that they got their backsides handed to them. We won because we outplayed them by a massive amount, not because beers were discounted.
He definitely admitted to the beat down, unambiguously labeling UConn's performance A+ in the full interview. All else is part of his solid media hustle, which is part of the job: "Always be closing." We don't have to buy it.

He's not "Aw shucks" Roy Williams doing Huckleberry Hound, or many others much worse. He's a Big East guy, and that's our conference.

Just keep beating his teams when we play them.

Reaction Score
Right here. We don't need lectures from that man after witnessing the end of the KO era.

Thanks. Had only seen the $2 beer comment.

It's weird. The start of the full quote looks like a defense of New England basketball, or maybe a response to his impression that we don't see PC as a rival. It then goes off the rails -- kind of an incoherent mess.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t everyone who blows out a team win those games?
Blowouts are between two teams, close games are between two teams.

We're on the winning end of blowouts, we're on the losing end of close games.

Reaction Score
Blowouts are between two teams, close games are between two teams.

We're on the winning end of blowouts, we're on the losing end of close games.
But shouldn’t the coach who wins more games by more points be considered the better coach?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Talk to Jim Calhoun about how PC fans behaved once we rose to the top of the conference. The Pitt and PC fans were brutal, classless losers. I doubt much has changed.
I was going to post "what do you mean were?" until I saw your last sentence.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to many games at the PCC and DD in the past most of which I was in the corner bar. Always a fun times with their fans, respectable mostly. Not 100% but majority.

But I’m so happy we kicked their butts last night something about this PC team and even Cooley that shouts arrogance!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Cooley was definitely not salty guys. Don't even think about insinuating that he was salty

Compared us unfavorably to PeeCee fans, salty enough for me

Reaction Score
They weren't an original BE team, but I think you could throw West Virginia's fans in with these two schools.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I think I’m gonna start drinking nothing but miller lite for a while until it stops working
Love, love, love this. I’m gonna drink Miller’s on gameday moving forward.

Reaction Score
As he telling UConn fans how to fan….

The Classy Ed Cooleys. Coach your own team and chastise your own beer throwing fans.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So you're saying when we blow teams out, let's have Hurley coach, but hire Cooley as our close game coach?

Sign me up.
I say DH can be head of recruiting and EC game prep and game coach

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom