Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Saylor, Fudd, Buecker and Nika Muhl someone is going to get their heart broken with playing time.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
With Saylor, Fudd, Buecker and Nika Muhl someone is going to get their heart broken with playing time.

I think Saylor has another inch to grow and will end up more of a 3/4. Fudd, Buecker, and Muhl aren’t cruising into 4 territory.

Not to mention that Fudd is smart enough to know (but humble enough not to admit) that she’s going to play regardless of who else is around.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the past few weeks 2 “perhaps” former recruits: Reese (2020) & Rivers (2021) made some news with their announcements that they were not interested in UConn. They are respectively listed as a 6’3” W and 6’0” G. Whether or not UConn was still actively recruiting them, we shall never know.

But we can certainly speculate that Geno felt he had Saylor “in the bag” for some time and, as a result, may have backed off any interest in just about any other G/W’s for 20-21 with the notable exception of Azzi.

Just a quick assessment of Reese & Rivers vs Saylor. All three players are talented and athletic, but Saylor appears to have a more complete game, and she is the best long range shooter by far. She has a tremendous upside, and she’s probably capable of playing just about any spot on the floor with the exception of the post.

Like everyone here on the BY, I think UConn should get every top recruit. But the truth is, Geno, CD, Shea & Jasmine have a plan to selectively recruit those players that they believe have the best opportunity to succeed at UConn as players, students and human beings. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn’t. IMO, the recruitment of Saylor Poffenbarger worked out in a big way.

Reaction Score

Nice try,
I think Saylor has another inch to grow and will end up more of a 3/4. Fudd, Buecker, and Muhl aren’t cruising into 4 territory.

Not to mention that Fudd is smart enough to know (but humble enough not to admit) that she’s going to play regardless of who else is around.

I agree you can call Saylor a guard if you want, in reality, she will cover a 3 or a 4.

Great players are willing to compete for playing time, they do not want it handed to them.

Reaction Score

Saylor will play the 3 in college. She plays the 4/5 in high school on defense because she is the tallest player on her team.
I think Reese will be the better player in college because she is so dominant on the boards. She is Alyssa Thomas part 2. I haven't seen Rivers play yet even though she was just in College Park at Brenda's camp. I think she is going to NC State.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saylor will play the 3 in college. She plays the 4/5 in high school on defense because she is the tallest player on her team.
I think Reese will be the better player in college because she is so dominant on the boards. She is Alyssa Thomas part 2. I haven't seen Rivers play yet even though she was just in College Park at Brenda's camp. I think she is going to NC State.
I would point out that Reese is almost 2 years older than Saylor. Right now she may be the better rebounder, but as Saylor matures physically and spends some time in the weight room, she will become a much better rebounder.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maryland a new hotbed of UConn recruiting? Or is it Maya Moore as fav that draws them.

High School Notes
  • Has played two varsity seasons at Middletown High School in Maryland.
  • Has compiled career totals of 1,109 points, 597 rebounds, 207 assists, 137 steals and 149 blocked shots.
  • Lists career highs of 37 points vs. Thomas Johnson H.S.; 20 rebounds vs. Walkersville H.S.; seven assists four times; six steals five times; and 10 blocks vs. Brunswick H.S.
  • As a sophomore in 2018-19, started in all 28 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 12.0 rpg., 3.2 apg., 2.4 spg. and 3.5 bpg. to help her team to a 25-3 record and the state title game.
  • As a freshman in 2017-18, started in all 25 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 10.0 rpg., 4.0 apg., 2.6 spg. and 3.0 bpg. to help her team to a 22-3 record and the state regionals.
  • Played in the summer for Fairfax Stars U17 EYBL.
  • Played lacrosse and soccer until 2016.
The Scoop
  • First played basketball at age 5. She grew up going to her mom’s practices.
  • Enjoys working with young children and children with challenges.
  • Favorite player is Maya Moore. Moore was the first player she saw and thought, “I want to play like her.”
  • Favorite class is English, because there is more than one answer, depending on how you interpret the reading.
  • Favorite pregame meal is ramen noodles.
  • Inspired by her little brother, who died in 2010. “He plays with me!”
  • Has never traveled outside of the United States.
Saylor Poffenbarger

Small things interest me some times:

During the Tournament in Chile, I had done some research on her backcourt mates and found some interesting contrasts/comparisons, for what it's worth:

- While Saylor prefers English "because there is more than one answer, depending on how you interpret the reading," Payton Verhulst and Sonia Citron like math because Citron "...likes how if you get it you get it — there is only one answer."

- Neither Verhulst or Poffenbarger had been outside the U.S. before the Tourney. I'm sure that will not be the last time for either on a U.S. dime.

On the court, all three looked awfully good. Could it be that differing approaches to subjects help overall team effectiveness? :rolleyes: Or should I just go get a refreshing adult beverage now that the clock has clicked 5:30 p.m. on a Friday? :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here are Saylor’s Nike National stats (she struggled shooting the ball FWIW), but 9.5 PPG (27.3 FG%, 17.3 3FG%, and 58.8 FT%), 7.8 RPG, 1 APG, 3.3 TOPG)

And her Session 2 Stats: (9.8 PPG (38.1 FG%, 25.0 3FG%, 59.1 FT%), 6.8 RPG, 1.8 APG, 2.2 TOPG)

Extrapolating from the stats through 9 games, it looks like FTs need a lot of work. I like her rebounding numbers a lot from the guard position, but I’m not really sure what position she plays since she is the tallest (maybe 3/4?).

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Man do we have guard talent or what? No surprise but Geno is building a team to be up tempo, spread the floor and play tenacious defense.
hmmmmmm.......happy to welcome a talented 6'2" guard that can take the ball to the basket or shoot from the pro three point line...curious how this impacts UConn's other back court prospects.......can SP play on the wing?
At 6'2" and UCONN's lack of height Geno will probably play her as a wing not unlike Gabby who now has to relearn the guard position in the WNBA. I hope she stays a guard for her future opportunity in the WNBA where 6'2" guard has more value.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Well if you can't find a hockey mentality B-baller, I'll settle for a lacrosse mentality B-baller.

I know females mature physically earlier than males but is it asking too much that she grow 2 or 3 more inches before joining UCONN? :)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Staff did the work early here. She first visited Dec 31, 2017 (with Brunelle). Other schools (ND, Tenn) tried to get involved but credit to SP for making her decision.

She does a lot of things really well and shoots better than her U16 showing.

Cat:
When did ND try to get involved? After her visit to UConn? Around the National Team tryouts/ Tournament in Chile? Another time? I can't quite tell from your post. Thanks...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
More at the link including the origins of UConn recruiting her:

At Middletown High, Saylor has shown she can do most everything on the court, from crashing the boards and setting screens to shooting jumpers well beyond the 3-point arc and dishing off nice passes to teammates. It’s that kind of versatility, she said, that helped draw interest from UConn.

“Geno plays ‘positionless’ basketball, and I feel like that’s what caught his eye,” said Saylor, who earned News-Post Co-Player of the Year honors last season for the Knights, averaging 21.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. “I play every single position no matter what.

“He looks for leaders, and he looks for girls that are going to do the little things and not be so worried about scoring. That’s kind of like my game. I feel like I’m not a selfish player, and I feel that kind of attracts him because I do the little things.”

I'm sure glad Shea and Saylor share an affinity for Starbucks coffee, eh!

"She had also established a strong rapport with the Huskies assistant coaches, including Shea Ralph — the first person associated with UConn that Saylor met. In the summer leading up to her freshman season, Saylor was playing in an AAU tournament in Chicago when she bumped into Ralph in a Starbucks. Saylor proceeded to mug for pictures with Ralph, who actually had tabbed Saylor as one of the players she wanted to scout at the tournament. Soon after the tournament, Ralph touched base with Saylor, marking the beginning of UConn’s recruitment of the 6-foot-2 guard. "

Saylor's surreal becomes reality: Knights' Poffenbarger commits to UConn

One of her possible majors mortuary sciences !! Maybe a first?

But the bestest:

At Middletown High, Saylor has shown she can do most everything on the court, from crashing the boards and setting screens to shooting jumpers well beyond the 3-point arc and dishing off nice passes to teammates. It’s that kind of versatility, she said, that helped draw interest from UConn.

“Geno plays ‘positionless’ basketball, and I feel like that’s what caught his eye,” said Saylor, who earned News-Post Co-Player of the Year honors last season for the Knights, averaging 21.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. “I play every single position no matter what.

“He looks for leaders, and he looks for girls that are going to do the little things and not be so worried about scoring. That’s kind of like my game. I feel like I’m not a selfish player, and I feel that kind of attracts him because I do the little things."

This young lady gets the big picture.

PS. Yes, sorry @Sluconn Husky , I repeated your quote! My bad.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks. Although from what I've seen of her she'd also have made one terrific green gal. She would've fit into Muffet's system like a glove.

Based on what I saw of her in Chile and some other "tape," I'd agree. That, plus the fact that ND -- somewhat like UConn -- seems to be heading in direction of fewer bigs and more guards. Taller guards, who can seemingly play wing, as well.

ND has a verbal commit in 2020 from Alli Campbell, who once was a point guard but is now 6' tall. Alli and Saylor both have extended range and like to take the ball to the paint.

I'll be very interested to see whom the Irish concentrate on in 2021 for guards. Personally, I think a lot of it depends on what happens with seeming pursuits of Caitlin Clark and Maddy Westbeld (another 6'2" wing with range in 2020).

Once again, good get. Heck, it'll be hard for the enmity factor: I like Saylor and Pistol Paige.
;)

Reaction Score
Me likey 6' 2" guards/? ... saylor-poffenbarger

"USA Trials-May 2019: Versatile guard brings size to the back court and a deep 3-point range offensive attack; rebounds and attacks in transition; reads the defense, utilizes screens effectively and delivers from beyond the arc; manufactures shots, rises on jumper in mid-range game; superior size, attacks off the dribble and scores in traffic; a stock-riser in the class of 2021. (Olson) "
Poor Geno, he has LOST his RECRUITING skills. What is this? Only like 10 or 16 top players so far? Poor Geno, relegated to another 12 NC's in his future!!! Poor Geno, Poor UConn---They are DOOMED, DOOMED I say--Doomed!!

Reaction Score
Man do we have guard talent or what? No surprise but Geno is building a team to be up tempo, spread the floor and play tenacious defense.
Geno and Shea love guards--big guards, small guards, --both were guards. Over the years, more often than not his teams have been guard oriented.

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw of her in Chile and some other "tape," I'd agree. That, plus the fact that ND -- somewhat like UConn -- seems to be heading in direction of fewer bigs and more guards. Taller guards, who can seemingly play wing, as well.

ND has a verbal commit in 2020 from Alli Campbell, who once was a point guard but is now 6' tall. Alli and Saylor both have extended range and like to take the ball to the paint.

I'll be very interested to see whom the Irish concentrate on in 2021 for guards. Personally, I think a lot of it depends on what happens with seeming pursuits of Caitlin Clark and Maddy Westbeld (another 6'2" wing with range in 2020).

Once again, good get. Heck, it'll be hard for the enmity factor: I like Saylor and Pistol Paige.
;)
I’m sure that if this has upped your chances with Citron, you’re happy:D I think Poffenbarger is probably the 5-8 best guard in the class. Fudd, Rivers, Verhulst, and Citron IMO are ahead. Haven’t seen Marshall, Kampschroeder of James, the others ranked ahead.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sure that if this has upped your chances with Citron, you’re happy:D I think Poffenbarger is probably the 5-8 best guard in the class. Fudd, Rivers, Verhulst, and Citron IMO are ahead. Haven’t seen Marshall, Kampschroeder of James, the others ranked ahead.
Yes, but she may be the 2-3 best Wing...:cool:

Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger

Saylor Poffenbarger
GUARD
CLASS: 2021

• Middletown, MDHOMETOWN
  • MiddletownHIGH SCHOOL
  • 6-2HEIGHT
  • —WEIGHT
  • 21OVERALL RANK
  • 8POSITION RANK
saylor-poffenbarger
What is it they say? UCONN DOESN'T REBUILD: THEY RELOAD!!!!

Reaction Score
Maryland a new hotbed of UConn recruiting? Or is it Maya Moore as fav that draws them.

High School Notes
  • Has played two varsity seasons at Middletown High School in Maryland.
  • Has compiled career totals of 1,109 points, 597 rebounds, 207 assists, 137 steals and 149 blocked shots.
  • Lists career highs of 37 points vs. Thomas Johnson H.S.; 20 rebounds vs. Walkersville H.S.; seven assists four times; six steals five times; and 10 blocks vs. Brunswick H.S.
  • As a sophomore in 2018-19, started in all 28 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 12.0 rpg., 3.2 apg., 2.4 spg. and 3.5 bpg. to help her team to a 25-3 record and the state title game.
  • As a freshman in 2017-18, started in all 25 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 10.0 rpg., 4.0 apg., 2.6 spg. and 3.0 bpg. to help her team to a 22-3 record and the state regionals.
  • Played in the summer for Fairfax Stars U17 EYBL.
The Scoop
  • First played basketball at age 5. She grew up going to her mom’s practices.
  • Enjoys working with young children and children with challenges.
  • Favorite player is Maya Moore. Moore was the first player she saw and thought, “I want to play like her.”
  • Favorite class is English, because there is more than one answer, depending on how you interpret the reading.
  • Favorite pregame meal is ramen noodles.
  • Inspired by her little brother, who died in 2010. “He plays with me!”
  • Has never traveled outside of the United States.
Saylor Poffenbarger
HE PLAYS WITH ME----DAMN THOSE TEARS, LOVE THIS KID!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom