Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A great pick for UConn! a player who can play multiple positions, can shoot, can pass, who's got good handles for size, great size for a wing, not afraid of going to the basket, good 3 point shooter with unlimited range, team player, used both hands, and wanted to play for UConn from the age of 5...what is there not to love....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!
Well these evil people can suck on it while it sticks in their craw. We're UCONN, we don't care if we get too much attention (like that's a real thing). :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rebecca was the first huge recruit and is currently the only Naismith HOFer, but she last played over 15 years ago--before the current recruits were born. They have seen more of Maya and the GOAT. And some lanky kid from North Syracuse.
You’re talking recent recruits and I’m talking all time

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!

Horsefeathers and bulldinkey!

I can't believe that all, many, or even most WBB fans are so totally devoid of logic and reasoning skills.

ESPNW, with its relatively microscopic readership, pays more attention to a lower ranked recruit going to UConn than to a higher ranked recruit going to play for the Cardinal (Richelieu?). = This is the fault of the Connecticut Huskies WBB team.

If that is Stanford logic, I'll be glad to keep my degree from, as Daniel Webster called it, "a small college".

One might suspect that the antipathy towards the Geno, CD & Co. show is more a function of unrivalled success. When the NY Yankees were winning World Series after World series, guess who were the most hated team in béisbol, amigos?

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In the past few weeks 2 “perhaps” former recruits: Reese (2020) & Rivers (2021) made some news with their announcements that they were not interested in UConn. They are respectively listed as a 6’3” W and 6’0” G. Whether or not UConn was still actively recruiting them, we shall never know.

You must have missed my posts in the recruit and Rivers threads. Saniya and Jasmine just began following one another on Instagram. This a few days after Geno and Shea were in attendance for at least one of her AAU games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You must have missed my posts in the recruit and Rivers threads. Saniya and Jasmine just began following one another on Instagram. This a few days after Geno and Shea were in attendance for at least one of her AAU games.
I think that’s great. As I indicated in my post, I think UConn should get every top recruit. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is our wont that we immediately start to try to figure out Saylor's position on the floor. (wrote that sentence just to use the word wont btw) We could certainly debate that one for quite some time, because she has an array of offensive talents that could put her anywhere on the floor, just not playing PG which is well filled .

One of the things I like about this recruit, with little exposure of course, is that she appears comfortable in her own skin and confident in her skills. This little bit is telling:

"Poffenbarger will have two more seasons to refine her game before college where she will continue to work on being more than just a scorer.

“I feel like that’s kind of what sets me apart – the little things that I do,” she said. “It’s more of like crashing the boards, boxing out to the weak side, getting the weak side rebounds, setting good screens … along with being able to shoot the three and score and get to the basket and defend their best player.”

She looks forward to playing stress-free, knowing that she won’t be constantly under the eye of scouts, or worried about which coaches came to see her on which nights. She knows that while at Middletown, one off game in front of the wrong person won’t sink her status as a recruit.

She knows, though, that it won’t be the same in Storrs.

“I called [Auriemma] and I was like, ‘Hey coach, where do you see me playing?’” Poffenbarger said. “And he’s like, ‘I have no idea. You’re not here, you haven’t gone against our team.’ I like that about him, because nothing is given to you. I feel like that will kind of help me ease my nerves, because you can always control how hard you work, and that will help.”

Geno "I have no idea" and she's cool with that. That is nifty. So in what people increasingly call Geno's "positionless game" he won't figure it out until the fall of 2021. We have 2 years to jaw at each other about it. Oh glory day.

Quote source: ‘I fell in love from the beginning’: For UConn commit Saylor Poffenbarger, picking the Huskies has been a dream realized

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Fudd hasn't yet cruised into UConn territory.

Some people seem to be taking it for granted that Fudd is coming to UConn.
Am I missing something? Or are we setting ourselves up for another
Aliyah Boston?

I was just replying to @TerpWomenFan ‘s assessment of the potential guard situation when SP arrives in 2021.
With Saylor, Fudd, Buecker and Nika Muhl someone is going to get their heart broken with playing time.

IMO, no one is certain until First Night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Always appreciate the shade and UCONN envy. Kylee Watson commitment to Oregon was covered by an article in ESPNW don't believe Cameron Brink's commitment was. ESPNW must just dislike Stanford. :D

Reaction Score
I know that verbals aren't official and the deal on Saylor isn't done until the LOI is signed, but I like the fact that both she and Paige have decided to make their decisions early. Seems like neither is interested in continuing the recruiting circus and would rather concentrate on their high school seasons and work to get better without the constant spot light. Good stuff.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm sure glad Shea and Saylor share an affinity for Starbucks coffee, eh!

"She had also established a strong rapport with the Huskies assistant coaches, including Shea Ralph — the first person associated with UConn that Saylor met. In the summer leading up to her freshman season, Saylor was playing in an AAU tournament in Chicago when she bumped into Ralph in a Starbucks. Saylor proceeded to mug for pictures with Ralph, who actually had tabbed Saylor as one of the players she wanted to scout at the tournament. Soon after the tournament, Ralph touched base with Saylor, marking the beginning of UConn’s recruitment of the 6-foot-2 guard. "

Saylor's surreal becomes reality: Knights' Poffenbarger commits to UConn

One of her possible majors mortuary sciences !! Maybe a first?

But the bestest:

At Middletown High, Saylor has shown she can do most everything on the court, from crashing the boards and setting screens to shooting jumpers well beyond the 3-point arc and dishing off nice passes to teammates. It’s that kind of versatility, she said, that helped draw interest from UConn.

“Geno plays ‘positionless’ basketball, and I feel like that’s what caught his eye,” said Saylor, who earned News-Post Co-Player of the Year honors last season for the Knights, averaging 21.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. “I play every single position no matter what.

“He looks for leaders, and he looks for girls that are going to do the little things and not be so worried about scoring. That’s kind of like my game. I feel like I’m not a selfish player, and I feel that kind of attracts him because I do the little things."

This young lady gets the big picture.

PS. Yes, sorry @Sluconn Husky , I repeated your quote! My bad.
She had me at Starbucks.

Reaction Score
Great news! You can't have too many guards, especially if they are 6'2"!!

As I recall many years ago(?), Geno was questioned about a team that carried a lot of guards.

His response was "You can never have too many guards".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Who said this?

“Rebounding is not a technique, its all heart, its who’s going to go up and get it.”

Kid from Middletown 2 years ago.

Basketball Wall Street: “Freshman Star Saylor Poffenbarger, Off To a Great Start In Middletown”

The benefits of a mom who coaches. If you look real close you can see that quote just under Snoopy's chin:

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
“I called [Auriemma] and I was like, ‘Hey coach, where do you see me playing?’”

I thought Geno frowned upon questions like that. Maybe it's the "what role do you see me playing?" question.

Or is that the same thing?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I know that verbals aren't official and the deal on Saylor isn't done until the LOI is signed, but I like the fact that both she and Paige have decided to make their decisions early. Seems like neither is interested in continuing the recruiting circus and would rather concentrate on their high school seasons and work to get better without the constant spot light. Good stuff.
Good post.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I called [Auriemma] and I was like, ‘Hey coach, where do you see me playing?’”

I thought Geno frowned upon questions like that. Maybe it's the "what role do you see me playing?" question.

Or is that the same thing?

It's when she asked it. Ask when you meet him first and you are probably dead meat. Ask after you have committed, get the same answer, but maybe with a little different intonation to it. Timing is everything.

And maybe the question's phrasing too? "I'll get to play XX right?" "You know I only wanna play XX." "Sure I'm 6' 5", but you want me bringing the ball up and staying outside, right?"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Who said this?

“Rebounding is not a technique, its all heart, its who’s going to go up and get it.”

Kid from Middletown 2 years ago.

Basketball Wall Street: “Freshman Star Saylor Poffenbarger, Off To a Great Start In Middletown”

The benefits of a mom who coaches. If you look real close you can see that quote just under Snoopy's chin:

View attachment 44918
Well actually rebounding is also about boxing out and reading the ball well off the rim. That said, yeah, grit and want comes in too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well actually rebounding is also about boxing out and reading the ball well off the rim. That said, yeah, grit and want comes in too.

You're no poet @JordyG. I'll keep hopin' though. ;)

I think about Geno's take on Phee and rebounds: 'Somehow she just finds them.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown