Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You're no poet @JordyG. I'll keep hopin' though. ;)

I think about Geno's take on Phee and rebounds: 'Somehow she just finds them.'
I'm no poet and I damn sure know it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
not even "Bigs"......I'll settle for a single "BIG"......;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It certainly is a reasonable question for a recruit to ask how the coach envisions how she will be used etc. It is even more reasonable for a coach to say he does not know until he sees how you play with the team and how best you fit to help the team. I imagine this response by a coach is not that frequent with coaches feeling they need to say something (preferably what the recruit want to hear :rolleyes:)

Geno said the same thing to Nika Muhl when she asked.

I suppose if a recruit follows the ideology of Geno, she would not ask but not everyone knows how Geno does things.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!
Or it could be that the rankings aren’t quite in sync as Saylor made the 16u team and I can find Demetre on either 16u or 17u
Or it could be the fact Stanford hasn’t won a title since 1992 and hasn’t been relevant unless it plays UConn
Or it could anything The the best program in the Northeast garners attention whatever it does because it has a huge following similar to the Yankees while the Cardinal is more like the SF Giants, good but not great and West Coast is that audience has other things going on...
But hey you gotta do what you gotta do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Horsefeathers and bulldinkey!

I can't believe that all, many, or even most WBB fans are so totally devoid of logic and reasoning skills.
Really? I would think reading many of the posts (posters) on here would have made a believer out of you. :cool:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Really? I would think reading many of the posts (posters) on here would have made a believer out of you. :cool:

Reading many of the posts (posters) here has taught me to believe that:

1) We really, really need Bigs. Bigs are young ladies measuring at least 7, on the Kelvin scale, with a histrionic coefficient of 138^26.3.

2) Ms. Ono notwithstanding, Geno cannot recruit anyone but dwarfs, midgets, and elves.

3) For each new announcement of a fine UConn commit, we will be reminded that behind every rainbow, there is a dark cloud, impending doom, and grounds for eternal pessimism. Woe is us!

4) 11 NCs, 12 final fours in a row presage our descent to Hades, a barren land devoid of good hot dogs, ice cream, and other essentials. Not even such journalistic luminaries as Kelli Stacey will report our meagre accomplisments.
Swarms of locusts will roost upon Gampel, we will seek admission to the Ozark & Lower Appalachian League, and...

Yep! I'm a believer now.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cannot believe the comments about growth and how serious the responses have been. What a laugh. So emphatic. So confident. My own son was one of the shortest in his senior class in high school and grew to 6' 2" and was in the last row by height at his graduation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I cannot believe the comments about growth and how serious the responses have been. What a laugh. So emphatic. So confident. My own son was one of the shortest in his senior class in high school and grew to 6' 2" and was in the last row by height at his graduation.
The laughable part was not concerning growth. It is quite possible that Saylor can grow a few inches in the next two years. What is very laughable is her being "another Stewie". Stewie was already an established dominant international player at Saylor's current age. Of this I will remain very confident.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Here is an earlier article mainly focused on Saylor's off season work. More info to round out the picture. Mentions her buddy KiKi (we interested?) AND her weight lifting routine (little Boneyard hearts swelling!) among other things.

"She possesses the ball-handling and passing skills to play point guard and the height to be a menacing shot-blocker. And lately, she’s been focusing on bolstering her inside game.

“I’m always looking to make everything more efficient,” she said. “But I work more on being stronger and more physical in the paint because I can create outside, so I just work on bringing it inside and staying strong and using my height.”

Such a goal helps explain why weightlifting is a main part of Poffenbarger’s regimen, which she planned to begin after giving her body a little rest following the conclusion of the high school season."

Knights' Poffenbarger receives invite to 2019 USA U16 women's national team trials

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!
OK it has been awhile; has your craw cleared? :) ESPN is closer to ESPN and Auriemma is quite quotable and easier to access than Vanderveer. Stanford is 3,026 miles from Bristol. UCONN is 45 mile from Bristol. Probably easier to hang with the UCONN crowd.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Such a goal helps explain why weightlifting is a main part of Poffenbarger’s regimen, which she planned to begin after giving her body a little rest following the conclusion of the high school season."
Glad to hear about the weightliftig. I really like her saying, "you can always control how hard you work."

Reaction Score
View attachment 44930

Here is an earlier article mainly focused on Saylor's off season work. More info to round out the picture. Mentions her buddy KiKi (we interested?) AND her weight lifting routine (little Boneyard hearts swelling!) among other things.

"She possesses the ball-handling and passing skills to play point guard and the height to be a menacing shot-blocker. And lately, she’s been focusing on bolstering her inside game.

“I’m always looking to make everything more efficient,” she said. “But I work more on being stronger and more physical in the paint because I can create outside, so I just work on bringing it inside and staying strong and using my height.”

Knights' Poffenbarger receives invite to 2019 USA U16 women's national team trials
Love the PG skills discussion. When UConn bball is really clicking you see everyone taking a turn bringing the ball up and initiating offense and/or running the high post. Not saying she would be PG so don't everyone pounce on me but having the ability to do some offense initiation would be great. Keeps other teams off balance.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's a solution for getting more bigs and Geno has already started with Saylor. Just get really big guards! :)
One is not a substitute for the other. UCONN has had big guards KLS 6'3" & Kia 6'. Although playing at AA level UCONN post starters in the past 3 seasons have been 5'11 Gabby and 6'1" Napheesa. Over the course of a season that lack of height eventually catches up to you mainly because you have to work harder to rebound and compete defensively in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom