Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At 6'2" and UCONN's lack of height Geno will probably play her as a wing not unlike Gabby who now has to relearn the guard position in the WNBA. I hope she stays a guard for her future opportunity in the WNBA where 6'2" guard has more value.
Meh. Hmm so what is the take away from that? She's "relearning" a position while she is in the WNBA... Hmm could it be that she's in the WNBA? Same could be said about Collier and things seem to be working out well for her.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Meh. Hmm so what is the take away from that? She's "relearning" a position while she is in the WNBA... Hmm could it be that she's in the WNBA? Same could be said about Collier and things seem to be working out well for her.
Starting not subing

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Pleased to see another Maryland girl heading north to Storrs. Middletown has had a strong athletic program since I was in high school. They often were playing for state titles in many sports.

I think another benefit of moving to the new Big East is that east coast kids see that there will be more chances for their families to see them play live. With Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, and St.John's all within reasonable driving distance from the mid Atlantic area, it should help UConn recruiting from New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia initially and opens up the mid West as well.

I know it will give me an opportunity to attend more games in person. (Chortles with glee).

Reaction Score
I have to admit, these two UConn commits, Taylor and Mir, I personally have not read much about them on the BY before they committed to UConn... or I'm not reading the right threads. Could it be the less is talked about certain recruits that when they actually commit to UConn it's always a pleasant surprise. :rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Her finalists were Maryland, Missouri, and Oregon.
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I loved a young Collier because she crashed the boards. From the highlights I have seen, Saylor can create her shot against HS competition, and I love she uses the left hand to finish.

Reaction Score
BTW: for some extra insight into why so many people root against UConn, it's stories like this. Stanford gets a commitment from the no. 4 player in the class (Demetre)? Not even a peep on ESPNW. UConn gets the no. 21 player? Big ol' ESPNW profile. By all accounts, signing the no. 21 player in the country is not that newsworthy (as compared to, say, a program changer like Bueckers). Perhaps you can argue it's warranted given that UConn has 11 championships, but the disparity in headlines definitely sticks in the craw of fans of other schools!
True, but consider this: When UConn recruits the No. 21 player, analysts begin to think “where did we go wrong rating her this low?”

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
True, but consider this: When UConn recruits the No. 21 player, analysts begin to think “where did we go wrong rating her this low?”
I get that drinking the homebrew koolaid is part of the culture, but with all due respect, Coombs at ESPNW rank #13, AEH at #16, Edwards at #17, Boykin at #23, Gordon at #29, and Eckmark at #31 suggest that the non-top 10 UConn recruits are generally as unremarkable as every other school's non-top 10 recruits (these are all since 2014, mind you). And none of those players made huge jumps in the recruiting rankings just because they signed with UConn. (Williams at #14 and Nurse at #33 are the recent examples I can think of that cuts against assuming the recruiters were generally correct, and even with them, it was after they stuck with the Geno coaching for 2-3 years before they emerged to be the stellar athletes they became.)

If there's any school I'd pay attention to for mid-level recruits, it's Oregon: Sabally was ranked #36 her year and Hebard was #40, which is pretty crazy to think about in retrospect given their contributions weighed against all the players I just named above. And both Hebard and Sabally were obviously better than their recruiting rankings from the first games of their freshman years.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Too funny. Gabby arrived at UConn as a point guard who struggled handling the ball and couldn't make a shot from the perimeter. A perfect guard! Geno decided to put her in the featured position in his offense and she became an all-american while developing her overall game. Terrible what he did there.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I get that drinking the homebrew koolaid is part of the culture, but with all due respect, Coombs at ESPNW rank #13, AEH at #16, Edwards at #17, Boykin at #23, Gordon at #29, and Eckmark at #31 suggest that the non-top 10 UConn recruits are generally as unremarkable as every other school's non-top 10 recruits (these are all since 2014, mind you). And none of those players made huge jumps in the recruiting rankings just because they signed with UConn. (Williams at #14 and Nurse at #33 are the recent examples I can think of that cuts against assuming the recruiters were generally correct, and even with them, it was after they stuck with the Geno coaching for 2-3 years before they emerged to be the stellar athletes they became.)

If there's any school I'd pay attention to for mid-level recruits, it's Oregon: Sabally was ranked #36 her year and Hebard was #40, which is pretty crazy to think about in retrospect given their contributions weighed against all the players I just named above.

Your take on Nurse is a little off. She became a starter in game 3 of her freshman year and never relinquished that role. She was stellar as a freshman. Gabby started several games as a soph but took off as a junior.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Tara is putting together a roster that may soon end the 27-year drought in national championships. That will help.

ESPN has screwed UConn every which way to Sunday on realignment over the years so it's funny how fans get upset over a few articles. I'm sure the articles are because UConn still draws the most fans on ESPN and is the most popular team on social media.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It only took 125 posts in this thread for someone to imply that, “UConn needs to recruit more Bigs.” ;)

not even "Bigs".....................I'll settle for a single "BIG".....................;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There have been lots of headlines about Stanford WBB. There was the headline when Gabby chose UConn over Stanford. There was also the headline when Lou picked the Huskies over the Cardinal. There was even a headline when a kid by the name of Jones chose that college in Palo Alto over the beautiful campus in Storrs, CT......:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that, but she has a killer step back. She'll be able to get her shot off against anyone.
I agree. In the words of Kara Wolters, it looks like she gets "it" and particularly she gets Geno. Hopefully she won't be surprised as a frosh. I wonder what the stats are now on daughters of coaches and pro athletes at UConn?

Reaction Score

I can understand why it sticks in the craw of other schools. I really can but what would you like UConn to do about the publicity? I like Tara and Stanford and wish them well. ESPN has stuck it to UConn many times and I don’t like them. So why are you here complaining?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Around this time I believe.

Thanks....appreciate it. As you said, Geno (et al) and Saylor ended other pursuits before they even began.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe in AAU tournaments, but not likely on the high school level. Saylor plays for a public high school in Frederick County, Maryland and Mir plays for a private high school in the Baltimore suburbs. Different leagues.
In addition, like a number of states, MD runs separate public and private school championships. Middletown and Saylor finished as the runner up in the Class 2A public school state championship, while Roland Park and Mir finished as the runner up in the IAAM private school state championship. For the record, MaxPreps had Roland Park rated 5th and Middletown 15th in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom