Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
View attachment 44891

Geno was watching her before she entered HS. Article from January:

"When the Knights opened this season against Frederick, Maryland head coach Brenda Frese was there. When the Knights played Smithsburg on Jan. 8, a UConn assistant was there.

"Also coaches — usually assistants — from Tennessee, Kentucky, Penn State, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri have showed up at games or practices this year to watch Poffenbarger.
The guard already has at least 20 scholarship offers. She has yet to decide where she’ll play.

"It’s easy to see what draws such interest. Aside from Poffenbarger, there aren’t many 6-foot-2 guards on girls basketball teams in these parts, especially ones who can flourish anywhere on the court, be it inside the paint or outside the 3-point arc.

Poffenbarger started turning plenty of heads at an AAU tournament in Chicago the summer before her freshman year at Middletown. Two of the coaches who watched her play there were Frese and UConn head coach Geno Auriemma.

“It was a cool thing for a lot of kids that were from Maryland to see Brenda and Geno and Geno’s entire staff just watching her play,” Amy Poffenbarger said. “It was a great experience, not just for Saylor but all of her teammates, too.”

Prep Report: Knights' Poffenbarger thrives with recruiters' eyes on her

Obviously Geno has learned the art of the full court press.

What a mismatch Geno vs Frese. 1 on 1

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It gets so tiresome doesn't it? NOT:

"I've always dreamt of going to UConn," she said. "It was surreal when they started recruiting me."

"Poffenbarger said she has felt a connection with coach Geno Auriemma since the recruiting process started. After talking with him Wednesday afternoon, she was ready to commit. She called him back that evening and made it official. Then, she got her nails done to celebrate.

"I feel it," she said. "I don't want to wait."

Since she was a kid, Poffenbarger has idolized UConn legend Maya Moore. Now she'll be following in her footsteps in Storrs."

"I was that little girl who was watching her play," Poffenbarger said. "Since I was 4 years old I've always said I want to go to UConn, I want to play at UConn, I want to win a national championship."

Women's basketball recruiting -- UConn lands commitment from 2021 guard Saylor Poffenbarger

Thank you once again Maya and Geno.

I think DT still leads Maya in the "most influential recruiter" category (after Geno of course)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Saylor is a great get for UConn. Good all round player. The rest will be developed and she will grow. Welcome to the Great WCBB team in America.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Currently 21 on Hoopgurlz, although that will certainly get the “UConn bump” ;)
Well if she was one of the 12 USA 16u players I wouldn’t necessarily say a “UConn bump” but a true “talent bump”. I was impressed with her body agility to slip in, under and around the hoop. Happy to have her aboard. :)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno may have some interesting challenges with this one. ;)

Saylor's Favorite class is English, because there is more than one answer, depending on how you interpret the reading.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Saylor's pretty popular. She's gotten congrats from a slew of players or player family members, most of whom are UConn targets: Caroline Ducharme, Kiki Rice, Timea Gardiner, KK Bransford, Payton Verhulst, Amari DeBerry, and Shay Bollin.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
hmmmmmm.......happy to welcome a talented 6'2" guard that can take the ball to the basket or shoot from the pro three point line...curious how this impacts UConn's other back court prospects.......can SP play on the wing?
Left this part out. Tick her off and you get a Taurasi-esque look.

View attachment 44887
Poff the Mighty Dragon

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More at the link including the origins of UConn recruiting her:

At Middletown High, Saylor has shown she can do most everything on the court, from crashing the boards and setting screens to shooting jumpers well beyond the 3-point arc and dishing off nice passes to teammates. It’s that kind of versatility, she said, that helped draw interest from UConn.

“Geno plays ‘positionless’ basketball, and I feel like that’s what caught his eye,” said Saylor, who earned News-Post Co-Player of the Year honors last season for the Knights, averaging 21.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. “I play every single position no matter what.

“He looks for leaders, and he looks for girls that are going to do the little things and not be so worried about scoring. That’s kind of like my game. I feel like I’m not a selfish player, and I feel that kind of attracts him because I do the little things.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fun article.

and I thought being an English Major would be challenging. ;)

'Also, UConn offers both of the majors she is considering: mortuary sciences and business'.

First she buries opponents. Than takes care of their afterlife needs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they’re both behind Rebecca
Rebecca was the first huge recruit and is currently the only Naismith HOFer, but she last played over 15 years ago--before the current recruits were born. They have seen more of Maya and the GOAT. And some lanky kid from North Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom