Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Poffenbarger makes U16 national team

"A two-word text message — I’m next — put Amy and Bill Poffenbarger on pins and needles Thursday night.

Their daughter, Saylor, had just informed them she was moments away from a closed-door meeting with members of USA Basketball’s Olympic committee in Colorado Springs, Colorado. There, the younger Poffenbarger, a sophomore a Middletown High, was on the verge of finding out if she would make the United States’ 16-and-under national team.

“It was one of the longest waits,” Saylor Poffenbarger said. “I prayed the entire time I was waiting.”

Hey, what can I say. This doesn't happen every day ... and July 18 no less.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Huge Grats and Welcome to UConn, Saylor!

This is a great get. After having watched her play several times and also in the U16, it was pretty clear (at least to me) that she'd be a perfect fit in Geno's system. I like her game a lot. Listed as a guard but really more of a wing, I see her being utilized similar to Lou. She's also a much better shooter than what she showed in the U16. A highly talented, very unselfish, high IQ baller is what we're getting.

Could it be that Ducharme (yes, another tough '21 guard...who needs bigs anyway:oops:) will not be far behind in following her close friend with a verbal to Geno? I can see Saylor, Caroline, DeBerry and Azzi as our '21 class.

Reaction Score
Nice catch. If UConn was fortunate enough to sign Fudd UConn would have Bueckers, Fudd, Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Griffin, Saylor P. & Muhl for 3 positions. Four guard offense? Seven of them are about 6'.

Aside: The UConn blog says she is the first 2021 recruit when I think someone named Muhl is already on board. Not a good job of doing your homework from what is supposed to be a UConn blog. If someone here knows someone at the blog it might be a good idea to correct that before Muhl thinks she isn't welcome.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Nice catch. If UConn was fortunate enough to sign Fudd UConn would have Bueckers, Fudd, Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Griffin, Saylor P. & Muhl for 3 positions. Four guard offense? Seven of them are about 6'.

Aside: The UConn blog says she is the first 2021 recruit when I think someone named Muhl is already on board. Not a good job of doing your homework from what is supposed to be a UConn blog. If someone here knows someone at the blog it might be a good idea to correct that before Muhl thinks she isn't welcome.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Muhl is a '20 with Paige?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Muhl is 2020.

Reaction Score
Congrats Saylor! Seen her a week ago at Nike Nationals and she’s very good, better than I thought in fact. Much more than a shooter and has deceptive speed for a 6’2” guard. Some may not agree but she reminds me of KLS in a lot of ways. She needs to get better defensively but that’s nothing Geno can’t handle. I also like her Fairfax Stars teammate Kira Rice.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Geno was watching her before she entered HS. Article from January:

"When the Knights opened this season against Frederick, Maryland head coach Brenda Frese was there. When the Knights played Smithsburg on Jan. 8, a UConn assistant was there.

"Also coaches — usually assistants — from Tennessee, Kentucky, Penn State, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri have showed up at games or practices this year to watch Poffenbarger.
The guard already has at least 20 scholarship offers. She has yet to decide where she’ll play.

"It’s easy to see what draws such interest. Aside from Poffenbarger, there aren’t many 6-foot-2 guards on girls basketball teams in these parts, especially ones who can flourish anywhere on the court, be it inside the paint or outside the 3-point arc.

Poffenbarger started turning plenty of heads at an AAU tournament in Chicago the summer before her freshman year at Middletown. Two of the coaches who watched her play there were Frese and UConn head coach Geno Auriemma.

“It was a cool thing for a lot of kids that were from Maryland to see Brenda and Geno and Geno’s entire staff just watching her play,” Amy Poffenbarger said. “It was a great experience, not just for Saylor but all of her teammates, too.”

Prep Report: Knights' Poffenbarger thrives with recruiters' eyes on her

Obviously Geno has learned the art of the full court press.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It gets so tiresome doesn't it? NOT:

"I've always dreamt of going to UConn," she said. "It was surreal when they started recruiting me."

"Poffenbarger said she has felt a connection with coach Geno Auriemma since the recruiting process started. After talking with him Wednesday afternoon, she was ready to commit. She called him back that evening and made it official. Then, she got her nails done to celebrate.

"I feel it," she said. "I don't want to wait."

Since she was a kid, Poffenbarger has idolized UConn legend Maya Moore. Now she'll be following in her footsteps in Storrs."

"I was that little girl who was watching her play," Poffenbarger said. "Since I was 4 years old I've always said I want to go to UConn, I want to play at UConn, I want to win a national championship."

Women's basketball recruiting -- UConn lands commitment from 2021 guard Saylor Poffenbarger

Thank you once again Maya and Geno.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like this stare down by Saylor:

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn Nation Welcomes you Saylor!! Another recruit from my area...DMV. I am looking forward to 2020-2021 season. UConn will be playing in the Big East, and I will be able to see them play live. #UConnnumber1fan!!#BleedBlue!!

Reaction Score
G CD
G Molly
F Irwin
F/C Camara
F Adebayo

F Walker

2021/22
G Westbrook

G CW
C Ono

W Makurat
F Griffin

G Bueckers
G Muhl
W McLean

W Poffenbarger

------
Roster size
2020: 10/11 players
2021: 9
2022: 8/9

Reaction Score
From UConnCat..
"Staff did the work early here. She first visited Dec 31, 2017 (with Brunelle). Other schools (ND, Tenn) tried to get involved but credit to SP for making her decision.

She does a lot of things really well and shoots better than her U16 showing."

Good insight and agree 100%. On that U-16 team she was 2nd in steals (16 in 6 games), 2nd in assists (22) and shot 86% from the free-throw line (6-7). She played 110 minutes (4th highest) even though she did not start any games. She also had an assist/turnover ratio of 2.75 and took 29 of her 44 shots from 3 range. Tied for 3rd place with 5 blocks.

Not making excuses for the medium shooting % (31.8%) but someone I trust called her a "scrapper." Does lots of little things other than score. Still young and entering Junior season in high school.

Good job Uconn.!!
No worries about the shooting. A big factor is that these foreign tournaments always seem to have the balls over inflated and the rims are always tight. Not many kids shoot well from outside and it’s also tough on shots off the glass inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom