Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maryland a new hotbed of UConn recruiting? Or is it Maya Moore as fav that draws them.

High School Notes
  • Has played two varsity seasons at Middletown High School in Maryland.
  • Has compiled career totals of 1,109 points, 597 rebounds, 207 assists, 137 steals and 149 blocked shots.
  • Lists career highs of 37 points vs. Thomas Johnson H.S.; 20 rebounds vs. Walkersville H.S.; seven assists four times; six steals five times; and 10 blocks vs. Brunswick H.S.
  • As a sophomore in 2018-19, started in all 28 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 12.0 rpg., 3.2 apg., 2.4 spg. and 3.5 bpg. to help her team to a 25-3 record and the state title game.
  • As a freshman in 2017-18, started in all 25 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 10.0 rpg., 4.0 apg., 2.6 spg. and 3.0 bpg. to help her team to a 22-3 record and the state regionals.
  • Played in the summer for Fairfax Stars U17 EYBL.
  • Played lacrosse and soccer until 2016.
The Scoop
  • First played basketball at age 5. She grew up going to her mom’s practices.
  • Enjoys working with young children and children with challenges.
  • Favorite player is Maya Moore. Moore was the first player she saw and thought, “I want to play like her.”
  • Favorite class is English, because there is more than one answer, depending on how you interpret the reading.
  • Favorite pregame meal is ramen noodles.
  • Inspired by her little brother, who died in 2010. “He plays with me!”
  • Has never traveled outside of the United States.
Saylor Poffenbarger
So, she averaged 20 and 10 as a freshman and again as a sophomore. Very nice, though I think the competition is not especially high level. Maya Moore is her favorite player? Welcome to the club!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very good news on a slow Thursday in July. I did remember that Saylor visited UConn some time back. Clearly, Geno and staff are getting more aggressive recruiting while also casting a wider net overseas as well as with transfers.

Reaction Score
I guess this is good news since everyone is excited. Would someone please describe her skill set compared to Molly Bent versus Crystal Dangerfield or Chrystin Williams? I would like you guys to tell be if this young woman is a player or a bench sitter. Or an inbetweener. Not being sarcastic. Just want to know how to think about how this young woman might be used in the UConn lineup. Thanks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What, no drama? No last-month/week decisions in 2020? Geesh.
Congrats. From what I saw this summer, I was struck by the steadiness in her approach, not to mention the very long range on the jumper. Congrats to the Huskies.
Thanks. Although from what I've seen of her she'd also have made one terrific green gal. She would've fit into Muffet's system like a glove.

Reaction Score
Saylor is obviously very talented and should move up from #21. At 6'2 she could either be a wing or small forward. She has deep 3 point range and in all probability will be similar to Katie Lou. She is a nice pickup and even though she is listed as a guard she will be versatile.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
From UConnCat..
"Staff did the work early here. She first visited Dec 31, 2017 (with Brunelle). Other schools (ND, Tenn) tried to get involved but credit to SP for making her decision.

She does a lot of things really well and shoots better than her U16 showing."

Good insight and agree 100%. On that U-16 team she was 2nd in steals (16 in 6 games), 2nd in assists (22) and shot 86% from the free-throw line (6-7). She played 110 minutes (4th highest) even though she did not start any games. She also had an assist/turnover ratio of 2.75 and took 29 of her 44 shots from 3 range. Tied for 3rd place with 5 blocks.

Not making excuses for the medium shooting % (31.8%) but someone I trust called her a "scrapper." Does lots of little things other than score. Still young and entering Junior season in high school.

Good job Uconn.!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I guess this is good news since everyone is excited. Would someone please describe her skill set compared to Molly Bent versus Crystal Dangerfield or Chrystin Williams? I would like you guys to tell be if this young woman is a player or a bench sitter. Or an inbetweener. Not being sarcastic. Just want to know how to think about how this young woman might be used in the UConn lineup. Thanks.
She really fits Geno's idea of positionless BB. She can play the 2, the wing and the occasional PG spot. She's not the fastest girl on the court, but she has good quickness, a nice release on her shot, and she has a fair idea of her spots on the floor. She'll of course need to get stronger, learn to work better off of screens, and she'll need to work on her handle. Because of her size Geno will be tempted to work smaller opponents in the paint, and she'll need to work on her inside game. She's kind of raw defensively although she seems to have quick hands and nice anticipation. Hopefully she won't see too many small quick guards at the 2 in her first year. I'm hoping that will be Azzi's job.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To start, at 6’2” Saylor is taller than all of them. She has deep range from the 3pt line. Like Slucon, I think she’ll end up as more of a wing. The best thing about her is that she’s got 2 seasons to get a whole lot better before she gets to Storrs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Y'all might like this article:

Gold rush: Poffenbarger part of dominant USA U16 team that wins title in Chile

"When Saylor Poffenbarger was invited to try out for the 2019 USA U16 women’s national basketball team, she was excited.

When telling her parents she made the team, she cried.

And playing a game with that team on Saturday produced yet another type of reaction — shock.

That’s what Poffenbarger, a rising junior at Middletown High School, felt when having a gold medal placed around her neck after helping the USA beat Canada 87-37 in the 2019 FIBA Americas U16 Women’s Championship final on Saturday at Polideportivo Arena in Puerto Aysen, Chile.

“I was kind of shocked through the whole thing,” Poffenbarger said. “When it was happening, I felt like it hadn’t actually hit me that I had won a gold medal. We all woke up and we were like, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re gold medalists.’”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She really fits Geno's idea of positionless BB. She can play the 2, the wing and the occasional PG spot. She's not the fastest girl on the court, but she has good quickness, a nice release on her shot, and she has a fair idea of her spots on the floor. She'll of course need to get stronger, learn to work better off of screens, and she'll need to work on her handle. Because of her size Geno will be tempted to work smaller opponents in the paint, and she'll need to work on her inside game. She's kind of raw defensively although she seems to have quick hands and nice anticipation. Hopefully she won't see too many small quick guards at the 2 in her first year. I'm hoping that will be Azzi's job.

Left this part out. Tick her off and you get a Taurasi-esque look.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saylor reminds me of Ann also. Any one care to agree or disagree and provide details? How about comparisons with Brooke Demetre (Mater Dei to Stanford)?
Mmm, I see it, but Saylor has a bigger frame and base. Give her a couple years training and she is going to be able to withstand a lot of contact. On top of the rest of her game she has good court vision as well. I like her. Anyone know what she is rated by the various services?

Reaction Score
Another coach's daughter. Her mother is her high school coach. Played WCBB at Missouri as Amy Fordham (1990-94) - is #2 all-time there in assists (470), # 6 in steals (204), has the #5 all-time best single-season FT% (.845) and #4 all-time most single season assists (148). She also played one year in the ABL (Kansas City).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mmm, I see it, but Saylor has a bigger frame and base. Give her a couple years training and she is going to be able to withstand a lot of contact. On top of the rest of her game she has good court vision as well. I like her. Anyone know what she is rated by the various services?
Currently 21 on Hoopgurlz, although that will certainly get the “UConn bump” ;)

Reaction Score
Blue Star has her ranked 10th.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
From UConnCat..
"Staff did the work early here. She first visited Dec 31, 2017 (with Brunelle). Other schools (ND, Tenn) tried to get involved but credit to SP for making her decision.

She does a lot of things really well and shoots better than her U16 showing."

Good insight and agree 100%. On that U-16 team she was 2nd in steals (16 in 6 games), 2nd in assists (22) and shot 86% from the free-throw line (6-7). She played 110 minutes (4th highest) even though she did not start any games. She also had an assist/turnover ratio of 2.75 and took 29 of her 44 shots from 3 range. Tied for 3rd place with 5 blocks.

Not making excuses for the medium shooting % (31.8%) but someone I trust called her a "scrapper." Does lots of little things other than score. Still young and entering Junior season in high school.

Good job Uconn.!!
What were her rebounding statistics from that tournament? (That is still likely to be the way that she earns her minutes at UConn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom