PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 23 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, not Larrier.
I think you're right, we think we lead for MAL.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't tell us which player? Not that it matters I guess.

Reaction Score
I think you're right, we think we lead for MAL.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't tell us which player? Not that it matters I guess.

Just in case the player is wrong I don't want them to look bad.

Reaction Score
Don't we all know that until a guy actually commits, (and signs), the impressions of a another player or anybody around the program is just a guess as to what the recruit will decide. But, since this board is nothing but gossip until there is a commitment, why give guys grief for posting legitimate insights into the thinking of a player or other source that might at least have a true reason to believe a point of view. It is one thing if an insight is put forth as a 'fact' that something will happen, or if you don't believe the conversation with a source is bonafide, but I for one don't have my own sources to the program and like to hear an inside 'rumor', and I'm okay with a general attribution to 'a player' rather than risk alienating that source for future info. Its interesting info, on topic to the thread, up to each poster to assign any importance to it or not, and worthwhile to encourage rather than shoot down. Keep posting this stuff (or just message me so I'm the only other one that knows) Just a joke.

Reaction Score
Makai Ashton-Langford, 6' 2”, Point Guard, 17.8 years old, USA, Class of 2017

1470398654.jpg

adidas.com

Strengths
-Nice physical profile for a lead guard—good size and frame at 6' 2” 185 lbs. Long arms, big hands.
-Smooth athlete who can change speeds with force. Dynamic in transition. Uses basic crossovers that are set up by crisp footwork. Impressive body control. Plays a herky-jerky style predicated on keeping the defense off balance. Mixes in advanced combo moves.
-Does most of his damage in the paint – 6.6 FTA per 40. Can get to the rim without a ball screen versus average defenders. Likes to drive hard left. Can use his frame to keep smaller defenders on his hip.
-Inconsistent touch but he's capable of finishing with floaters before getting to the back line of the defense. Tools allow him to finish from different angles in traffic. Willing to use either hand at the rim.
-Shows occasional flashes as a passer out of ball screens or drive and dish/kick situations.
-Not a threat to make jumpers consistently at this stage, but his shot isn't broken. Should be able to improve in time. Can create space off the dribble.
-Has the tools to be an excellent on ball defender. Quick hands and feet with the frame to contain penetration. 2.2 steals per 40 minutes. Can play with more consistent intensity on that end but the potential is certainly there.

Weaknesses
-Had very little positive impact playing a small role on a loaded Team Harden – 2.0 PER in 12 minutes a game on 4 of-12 shooting and 0-of-5 from the free throw line.
-More combo than point guard at this stage. Plays a wild brand of basketball. Score first lead guard who gets tunnel vision while on the move. Throws a lot of jump passes. Kills his dribble regularly, especially when he's met by a secondary defender. Forces up wild floaters. Can improve his approach significantly.
-Needs a lot of possessions to get into a rhythm and score efficiently. Doesn't give you a ton if he's not playing on the ball.
-Really struggles to make shots from the perimeter consistently allowing defenders to sag off and take away the drive, which baits him into even more tough shots than he already takes. Super inconsistent mechanics. Gets too cute with fadeaways, leg kicks and big body turns. Doesn't always finish his shot with a hard snap of the wrist. 25.3% from three on 83 attempts over 72 games in our database.
-Can improve his shot creation versus high level defenders. While fairly advanced, his handle can get a bit high and loose at times versus pressure. Kills his dribble, pivots around inside the arc and either takes a tough shot or gives it up.
-Doesn't always finish at the level his tools would suggest. Can improve the touch on his floater. Has some good ideas around the rim with speed finishes or inside hand finishes, but he's not all that adept at converting versus high-level length and athleticism consistently.
-Defensive effort comes and goes. Offense fuels his defensive effort. Doesn't always sit down a stance or move his feet like he's capable of. Can take a lot more pride in stopping his man.

Outlook
Despite a forgettable Adidas Nations, there's still quite a bit to like about Ashton-Langford's blend of physical tools, penetrating ability, defensive potential and somewhat improvable shooting stroke. Ashton-Langford is certainly a high major guard who could eventually develop into a legitimate NBA prospect. With that said, the Worcester, Massachusetts native still has a long way to go in terms of his feel for the game, decision making, shooting stroke and defensive intensity. Simply put, Ashton-Langford needs to learn how to play, especially as a lead guard, and if he's able to do that, he becomes much more than an occasional bucket getter who should, in theory, be able to lock up.

Via draftexpress

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
This scouting report shows a lot of what I feared and have seen in MAL. I really want Tremont Waters.

Reaction Score
This scouting report shows a lot of what I feared and have seen in MAL. I really want Tremont Waters.
I agree, he's a solid recruit to add to our class, but nothing to write home about.

Reaction Score
Getting a write up from dx is actually good thing, it's safe to say mal is a better prospect with actual pro upside. When i saw him last winter in nh he had a bum wrist and seemed to be coasting, so I have no clue about his jumpshot. Having said that he brings tools to table to be a two way player who plays both guard slots in college, this could be valuable next to Gilbert or Adams.

Reaction Score
"UConn, Louisville and Providence are showing the most love," the 6-foot-2 Brewster Academy point guard told SNY.tv Friday morning before Big Strick Classic practice at Gauchos Gym in the Bronx. "I'm probably going to wait to sign. I'm going to go on visits and we'll see where it goes from there.

"All three of them I think fit my playing style. All of the coaches have been talking to me a lot, and that's important. I want to have a good relationship with all the coaches. Who wouldn't want to be coached by Kevin Ollie, Rick Pitino and Ed Cooley?"

Ashton-Langford still comfortable with three schools, may sign late

Reaction Score
Pitino is about the last guy I would want to play for if I were a recruit, and I say that independent of whatever has gone on off the court. Great, great, great coach...not somebody I want to play for. I would play for Ollie or Cooley in a second.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I know it's one game, and I know I've never seen the kid play live.... but 0-5 from the FT line from a PG is troubling. A great PG has to be a dependable knock-down shooter and nearly automatic from the free throw line.

Reaction Score
I know it's one game, and I know I've never seen the kid play live.... but 0-5 from the FT line from a PG is troubling. A great PG has to be a dependable knock-down shooter and nearly automatic from the free throw line.

As has been said before in this thread... These kids play a ton of games and an anomaly like that is both statistically acceptable in the long term and understandable with the level of fatigue they probably have at times.

Reaction Score
You could also look at it as upside , he has serious holes in his game while still being a near 5 star player. Somebody like waters has deficiencies he can't really work on.

Reaction Score
You could also look at it as upside , he has serious holes in his game while still being a near 5 star player. Somebody like waters has deficiencies he can't really work on.

Which guy is going to be the better college player though? I don't know much about either guy, but the way you describe Waters, he seems like the type of four year guy that might accomplish more over the course of his career...and provided Diallo commits, you wonder if he'd be the better fit.

Obviously you take either, and our NBA profile is something that is critical in its own right. Just wondering what your take is.

Reaction Score
MAL said in his latest Zagsblog story that after the Vegas tourney his body was basically dead

Reaction Score

Taliek was great according to many. He got a little bit better if I remember correctly at the FT line but by NO means a dependable knock down shooter nor nearly automatic.

Reaction Score
Which guy is going to be the better college player though? I don't know much about either guy, but the way you describe Waters, he seems like the type of four year guy that might accomplish more over the course of his career...and provided Diallo commits, you wonder if he'd be the better fit.

Obviously you take either, and our NBA profile is something that is critical in its own right. Just wondering what your take is.
i like mal, I don't think pure point pg is some major need for 2017. Waters would be relegated to back up duties while mal could pair up with Gilbert or Jalen. His two way ability is what I like more and favor compared to waters shooting.

Also side note I see it as more of a mal vs diallo chase , not so much waters vs mal.

Reaction Score
Also side note I see it as more of a mal vs diallo chase , not so much waters vs mal.[/QUOTE]

Really?? I think the scenario is far more MAL v. TW with diallo potentially paired with either. Neither MAL or TW would preclude us from having substantial minutes for HD. MAL and TW would eat into each others time in the unlikely scenario they both committed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beatty a factor in any of this or is UConn on the outs?

Reaction Score
the question that needs to be asked is would you rather 4 years of MAL or 4 years of TW? You can't say you'd rather 4 years of TW and just assume that MAL jumps to the NBA.

Reaction Score
MAL and Diallo have nothing to do with each other. Diallo would be here for 1 year at shooting guard, MAL would be here for several at point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom