PeeCee | Page 5 | The Boneyard

PeeCee

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Clearly.

If Sean, FriarJ and myself have to have a timeout for a couple of weeks, it might be a good idea.
Right before football season? Nah, we need you to keep the crybabies in line. But maybe you could let the pissing match with the PC guy go?

Reaction Score
Cooley wouldn't leave for BCU but if he does well and gets offered by a big basketball school you better beleive there is a decent chance he leaves.

Reaction Score
This is confusing. Why would you say that if Ledo wasnt eligible at PC then there was no way he could play at uconn ??

Besides the fact that it wasn't an academic issue in re: to being eligible at one school versus another school with different standards (he wouldnt have been able to play at any school in America), you do realize that PC is a far superior academic institution, right ?

HA! Thanks for giving me a good laugh to begin the weekend.

Reaction Score
My eyes aren't that great anymore...I failed to see Calhoun or JB's name in any of your cut and paste jobs. You have ONE thread about "what you'd give to win a NC". No where does anyone say or imply that PC is on the brink of one.

Nice try though. Thought you didn't care about "Pee-Cee". Spent some time scouring board you don't care about?

Come on man, if you're a UCONN fan you don't need to actually care about Providence in order to read your board, you just need to love to laugh.

C

Chief00

Trust me we could have signed Dunn. Timing wasn't right. Plus Calhoun is a better shooter. Dunn can run and jump and has good size. Creative passer but doesn't prize the ball. As Bob Cousy would say you don't get points for degree of difficulty. While Dunn pre-announced AD he was leaving prep school; AD had already leaned to leaving for UConn.

Reaction Score
Come on man, if you're a UCONN fan you don't need to actually care about Providence in order to read your board, you just need to love to laugh.

I'm old enough to remember when PC carried the torch for northeast basketball. I remember Dee Rowe beating Dave Gavitt in Springfield in 76.

PC actually has some nice history. But they have way too much to over come to be relevant again on the national scene. Not saying they can't make a national blip or two like URI did a while back. PC will produce some good players. But to seriously think that PC will become a perennial threat at the top of the new BE, can't see it. That will be very, very tough. Like I said, in this transition period they have a chance to jump up and make something happen. But long term, not very likely.

Reaction Score

Of course it's opinion. He's speculating about the future...last I checked it's hindsight that's 20/20, not foresight.

PC is without a doubt picking up their recruiting efforts in NE, and it would seem as long as Cooley does even a mediocre job he can start to turn you around especially in a watered down big east. I for one would like to see PC become relevant again and allow some solid home and home series for us in NE

I think one thing that gets glossed over, too, is that KO might lose out on some of these NE kids, but he's also throwing out a much bigger net when it comes to recruiting. Cooley seems to be focusing on the local crowd, and doing pretty well for himself with his PC ties, but KO has already showed success at bringing in 5* talent from CA and NC

It's the offseason so we've got nothing better to do than have a pissing match until some high schoolers make their decisions, but I'm very interested to see how both of our programs fare over the next few years as they both have large question marks (of course i'm decidedly more optimistic about our situation, but the bias there is obvious)

APA

Reaction Score
Not sure about that argument. I think Cooley got a verbal from a kid in Tennessee a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
G'town, Marquette, Nova and SJU all have better BE pedigrees than PC. I think those four will likely form the top of the league.

Xavier and Butler have been much better than PC recent years. Both have spent time in the top 25. You could make a case for either or both breaking into the top group.

I think PC comes into the next group with Creighton. Finally DePaul brings up the rear.

That is a lot of folks that PC has to pass. Six with much better national pedigree. Plus, if Cooley brings PC to the top, he will likely move on. PC is not a destination job and that is also unlikely to change. The upside for the Friars is that this is an easily league than the one with UConn, Syracuse and Pitt. As I said, periodic blips on the national stage should be easier to accomplish.

One other thing, I believe DePaul is a sleeping giant. Perhaps a comatose giant would be more accurate. With just one break though season, they could become a national power fairly quickly. They have all kinds of natural advantages including heritage and recruiting base. If their is a surprise team in the league, my guess it will be the Blue Demons.

Reaction Score
While PC technically "beat us" for Dunn, Austin, and maybe Ledo, I don't really think PC made any sort of statement with those acquisitions, at least in terms of how it relates to New England recruiting. Keep in mind: UConn may not have wanted Dunn that badly, and even if they did want him, it doesn't appear they pushed all their chips to the middle with him given at the time they had two underclassmen point guards that looked like four year players. I'm not really sure UConn wanted Ledo at all, especially with all the APR stuff swirling, and his eligibility up in the air. As for Austin, UConn definitely wanted him - probably just as much as PC - but it's hard to convince a kid to signup and play for you when you don't have a contract past this season. So before we act like PC has thrust their school flag into the New England turf, I want to see them beat us out for Abu, a kid UConn has undeniably gone all in for. Until then I'm skeptical that they're going to start taking recruits from us on the regular like a lot of their fans would have you believe.

Reaction Score
No one expects PC to trade body blows on the recruiting circle with UCONN any time soon. However, the excuse making when it does happen is a little tiring.

Reaction Score
Reading your posts is always tiring 94.

Ashton-Kutcher-Burn.jpg

Reaction Score
No one expects PC to trade body blows on the recruiting circle with UCONN any time soon. However, the excuse making when it does happen is a little tiring.

Call it whatever you want, but Ollie had his hands tied with the Austin recruitment, Ledo was clearly a bit of a red flag, and Dunn would have been our third string point guard for two years. Those are great victories for PC, no doubt, and I'm probably in the minority of UConn fans as one who is actually rooting for them to succeed. All I'm saying is let's not get carried away and act like the balance of power is shifting in New England until A) PC beats us out for a recruit we both desperately wants (Abu qualifies here) and B) Cooley starts to get some results on the court.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

well to be fair, i think NBE isn't that great in the first place. so i think you guys have a fair chance to be near the top of that conference anyways, especially with no other dominant NE team there(uconn). but you have to admit, you read this board so i'm sure you know that ollie will be a very successful coach by the time his time is up. but comparing to an all time top 5 NCAA BB coach like JC is to much, at least for now.

Reaction Score

Yes, but UConn had a huge advantage in the Big East. It was a large state funded flagship university in a conference of small Catholic schools.

I'm not minimizing what Calhoun did nor the challenges he overcame. But UConn had higher funding, a larger fan base and bigger media contingent than the other BE schools. PC has no such natural advantages.

Reaction Score
Seanmc94 and FriarJ...why do you guys continue to troll over here on the hoops board? We have NOTHING in common with you guys anymore unless you want to post about Hockey East! I know you are trying to make ypurselves feel better by comparing your recent recruiting success to ours but after that there is NOTHING you can do to compare yourselves to us. Besides we are ramping up for the upcoming college football season..something you at PC know absolutely ZERO about..since you don't even field a club team. Ypu can always go over to Gillette and root for UMass since they seem to desperately need a fan base though. It was nice knowing you..but take care now..getting away from the catholic schools that leached like PC, Marquette, DePaul and Seton Hall will down the road be the BEST thing to EVER happen to UCONN athletics!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom