Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do not agree. I actually had commented on this during the announcement. Perhaps more venom has built up over time. ?

Taking into account how important it would have been to keep such a recruit in MN and with Whelan as coach clearly increasing their chances, I think the vast majority of the MN fans were very gracious. The 5% trolls occur everywhere.

I'm a Minnesota native and I am here to tell you, there was some venom spewed thru out the Maroon and Gold country. Not only towards Paige but few other top Girls/Boys players. It mostly has to do with so much prime talent leaving the state of Minnesota to latch onto other top established programs. I agree many are happy for her and I think most knew she would probably go to UCONN. It was pretty big deal locally, when Geno and CD showed up to her 9th grade practice. It was all over the Local news which also interviewed her, AAU and High School coaches. If you remember at that time, Minnesota Didn't have Lindsey Whalen as head coach, so they were a little late to the party . With Whalen aboard there is now hope and that is what drove some locals to spew hate.

Trust me, Paige is loved here just means Minnesota fans will have to love two teams, just like me.

Reaction Score
I'm a Minnesota native and I am here to tell you, there was some venom spewed thru out the Maroon and Gold country. Not only towards Paige but few other top Girls/Boys players. It mostly has to do with so much prime talent leaving the state of Minnesota to latch onto other top established programs. I agree many are happy for her and I think most knew she would probably go to UCONN. It was pretty big deal locally, when Geno and CD showed up to her 9th grade practice. It was all over the Local news which also interviewed her, AAU and High School coaches. If you remember at that time, Minnesota Didn't have Lindsey Whalen as head coach, so they were a little late to the party . With Whalen aboard there is now hope and that is what drove some locals to spew hate.

Trust me, Paige is loved here just means Minnesota fans will have to love two teams, just like me.
Don’t feel bad it’s not like UCONN is landing the top classes. UCONN has been in a recruiting slump the past few years so it’s not like every player out there is signing with UCONN. Programs lose some and programs win some.. give it time Lindsey will have Minnesota back to the older days where they will be competing for final fours and beyond.

Reaction Score
Don’t feel bad it’s not like UCONN is landing the top classes. UCONN has been in a recruiting slump the past few years so it’s not like every player out there is signing with UCONN. Programs lose some and programs win some.. give it time Lindsey will have Minnesota back to the older days where they will be competing for final fours and beyond.

Recruiting slump the past few years? Didn't we get two top 10 players a year ago, including the #1 player in the country? What exactly our your expectations? Do that every year and we have a team with 8 top ten players. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Recruiting slump the past few years? Didn't we get two top 10 players a year ago, including the #1 player in the country? What exactly our your expectations? Do that every year and we have a team with 8 top ten players. Not bad.
Look at Baylor... loaded, look at Louisville loaded look at Stanford loaded look at Oregon loaded... go on an on.. my point is sign a number 1 player is great this team needs quality depth ... u obviously missed my point I was making.. the reason we lost the last 3 years not enough talent coming off the bench to give starters a break, long season.. not enough experience coming off the bench, not enough big inside players, offensive reabounding ... going 6 players deep sadly isn’t going to get the job done. Signing a number one player in the class is awesome but they need talent around them and quality of talent to come off the bench to make a serious run to a title and finish the job. It’s my opinion .. Everyone has a right to agree to disagree and it’s just my opinion

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN has been in a recruiting slump the past few years
Really?

Per ESPN/Hoopgurlz Class Rankings

2019 - >20 (1 McD)
2018 - #2 (2 McD)
2017 - #2 (2 McD)
2016 - #14 (1 McD)
2015 - #2 (3 McD)
2014 - #4 (2 McD)

I'm not seeing a big "slump" here.

Reaction Score
Look at Baylor... loaded, look at Louisville loaded look at Stanford loaded look at Oregon loaded... go on an on.. my point is sign a number 1 player is great this team needs quality depth ... u obviously missed my point I was making.. the reason we lost the last 3 years not enough talent coming off the bench to give starters a break, long season.. not enough experience coming off the bench, not enough big inside players, offensive reabounding ... going 6 players deep sadly isn’t going to get the job done. Signing a number one player in the class is awesome but they need talent around them and quality of talent to come off the bench to make a serious run to a title and finish the job. It’s my opinion .. Everyone has a right to agree to disagree and it’s just my opinion

You have been pretty exhaustive in your opinion. And, I think, you have overstated it. Would you call the class of Lou and Pheesa a slump year? I wouldn't. We aren't getting classes of four starters and All Americans every year. Our issue right now is that next year's senior class and freshman class are thin, one player (sorry Irwin and Bent), contributing to the sense of this slump. But it overstates it to then draw the conclusion that every year is a slump or that every year other teams are more "loaded." In the past ten years, how many years as UConn not been the most talented team?

As for the reason we "lost" the last three years (bearing in mind that we were in the Final Four each season), is pretty straightforward. We had two "once in a lifetime" OT losses. One different bounce of the ball and we are looking at a run of six straight championships. Not bad for a "slump." And certainly each of those years qualifies as a "serious run" to a title. As for going six players deep not "getting the job done," numerous UConn teams have effectively gone 6 deep in their championship runs.

Reaction Score
Your right but 6 isn’t going to cut it when one injury away.. UCONN has dodged it but eventually a key injury will happen and who do u look at to come off the bench... the team manager. Next season 9 player roster... a freshman is one of them as much as I love bent and Irwin there seniors now they won’t be better next season so
Now it brings it to 7... in camara can’t perform now u are down to 6 players.. so 5 starters in Williams ono Walker dangerfield and Coombs who
Hasn’t done anything in 2 years but play garbage minutes.. so basically 6 player rotation again with the 6th man being a freshman coming off the bench. Love my huskies and hate to be negative but this is the reality and our out of confrence schedule will be the best in the country next year.. unless Geno pulls a miracle this summer it’s going to be a 5 plus loss season and our AAC win streak could end. If we stay injury free we will be ok but any key injury to any of our starters will be devastating. But in god we trust. Everything happens for a reason and what’s meant to be will be...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As it related to Girls basketball though that reaction is completely irrational.
Since 2013 Minnesota has only had 8 players ranked in the ESPN top 100. The highest was ranked 16th. Additionally these Minnesota girls are not going to "established" programs.
Top 100 players from Minnesota:
2018 None
2017 (59) Rachel Ranke Kansas State
2016 (39) Jamie Ruden Arizona State
(44) Taylor Koenen North Carolina
(66) Abi Scheid Northwestern
(71) Nia Hollie Michigan State
2015 None
2014 None
2013 (16) Rebekah Dahlman Vandy
(24) Nia Coffey Northwestern
(74) Jessica January Depaul
Sorry if I overlooked any talent from Minnesota but I just don't think of Minnesota as a hotbed of Girls Basketball talent which makes Paige even more remarkable.

Reaction Score
As it related to Girls basketball though that reaction is completely irrational.
Since 2013 Minnesota has only had 8 players ranked in the ESPN top 100. The highest was ranked 16th. Additionally these Minnesota girls are not going to "established" programs.
Top 100 players from Minnesota:
2018 None
2017 (59) Rachel Ranke Kansas State
2016 (39) Jamie Ruden Arizona State
(44) Taylor Koenen North Carolina
(66) Abi Scheid Northwestern
(71) Nia Hollie Michigan State
2015 None
2014 None
2013 (16) Rebekah Dahlman Vandy
(24) Nia Coffey Northwestern
(74) Jessica January Depaul
Sorry if I overlooked any talent from Minnesota but I just don't think of Minnesota as a hotbed of Girls Basketball talent which makes Paige even more remarkable.

I think you missed 2018 Christianna Carr.
28th ranked. She was a Minnesota Kid who moved her senior year. She once had interest from UCONN.

I was fortunate to travel to many of the top tourney's over the last 7 to 8 years. Mostly because of my daughter being a pretty good talent. So I got to see some of the countries best play over that time and With that said, I know Minnesota has one of the best AAU programs nationally and on the whole we do pretty well on the AAU circuits. Paige Bueckers, AAU North Tartan program being the cream of the crop. Wisconsin's own, Arike Ogunbowale, played for that program. We may not have an overall abundance of kids highly ranked nationally, But we do have many girls playing DIV 1 and mid majors. There are many girls from Minnesota, playing high level D1 basketball that were highly touted, locally or within our 5 state region. Not making top 100 list doesn't make us not a hot bed of talent. If you feel those programs aren't established so be it. What I do know is getting a healthy collection of that talent you listed, could change the complexion of a program. So that is what has the locals frustrated when losing talent.

My point was more about overall talent. (BOYS and Girls).
Minnesota, currently has two kids who have participated in the USA 17u. (Boys and Girls). That is a big deal because like you said, we aren't typically looked at as a hotbed. But we know that isn't the case here in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Really?

Per ESPN/Hoopgurlz Class Rankings

2019 - >20 (1 McD)
2018 - #2 (2 McD)
2017 - #2 (2 McD)
2016 - #14 (1 McD)
2015 - #2 (3 McD)
2014 - #4 (2 McD)

I'm not seeing a big "slump" here.
Its not an overall slump, its a bigs slump. Gabby and Kia needed a big. KLS and Phee needed a big. Crystal needed a big. Meg needed a big. In my opinion, we have gotten good guards and guard/forwards but couldn't seal the deal on a big for 4 straight years so no championships....

Reaction Score

Tell your fellow Minnesotans that we want to join the Big 10.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Its not an overall slump, its a bigs slump. Gabby and Kia needed a big. KLS and Phee needed a big. Crystal needed a big. Meg needed a big. In my opinion, we have gotten good guards and guard/forwards but couldn't seal the deal on a big for 4 straight years so no championships....
I somewhat agree. KLS and Collier did have Boykin (6-2 F). Dangerfield had Irwin (6-2 F). And Stevens and Camara were brought in to help shore up things. And we just got ONO. But Tuck leaving early (very understandable) and Stevens leaving early (not quite as understandable), and Boykin and Camara and Irwin (to a degree) not working out as would have been expected, has made things difficult. But it's not like there weren't bodies there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you missed 2018 Christianna Carr.
28th ranked. She was a Minnesota Kid who moved her senior year. She once had interest from UCONN.
I was fortunate to travel to many of the top tourney's over the last 7 to 8 years. Mostly because of my daughter being a pretty good talent. So I got to see some of the countries best play over that time and With that said, I know Minnesota has one of the best AAU programs nationally and on the whole we do pretty well on the AAU circuits. Paige Bueckers, AAU North Tartan program being the cream of the crop. Wisconsin's own, Arike Ogunbowale, played for that program. We may not have an overall abundance of kids highly ranked nationally, But we do have many girls playing DIV 1 and mid majors. There are many girls from Minnesota, playing high level D1 basketball that were highly touted, locally or within our 5 state region. Not making top 100 list doesn't make us not a hot bed of talent. If you feel those programs aren't established so be it. What I do know is getting a healthy collection of that talent you listed, could change the complexion of a program. So that is what has the locals frustrated when losing talent.

My point was more about overall talent. (BOYS and Girls).
Minnesota, currently has two kids who have participated in the USA 17u. (Boys and Girls). That is a big deal because like you said, we aren't typically looked at as a hotbed. But we know that isn't the case here in Minnesota.
CC was a very good player who bonded with Espinosa-Hunter at USA U16 trials. I'm not so sure about that UCONN interest CC was ALWAYS going to play for her father in college. I believe he got the job at Kansas State 2 years before she left high school. CC was highly ranked but so far a rather pedestrian career at KSU-Shooting barely over 30% in two seasons.

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree. KLS and Collier did have Boykin (6-2 F). Dangerfield had Irwin (6-2 F). And Stevens and Camara were brought in to help shore up things. And we just got ONO. But Tuck leaving early (very understandable) and Stevens leaving early (not quite as understandable), and Boykin and Camara and Irwin (to a degree) not working out as would have been expected, has made things difficult. But it's not like there weren't bodies there.
I agree that there were enough big bodies, but I think that’s the point. With the exception of Boykin and Irwin (who we’re both signed by UConn coming out of high school), none of Butler, Stevens, or Camara were sure things prior to transferring in. Recruiting is where the bulk of players are most likely to come from and UConn has gotten quite a few quality guards/wings, but very few quality bigs the last few recruiting cycles. Even just one more quality forward/center in the last three years would’ve gone a long way.

Reaction Score

ONO is not a big?

Reaction Score
ONO is not a big?
ONO is this year and a freshman. She alone can't make up for 4 straight years before her not landing a top 10 recruit 6' 3" or taller at the PF/C position. Transfers like previously said are not going to give you 4 years in the program like a high school recruit.

Reaction Score
CC was a very good player who bonded with Espinosa-Hunter at USA U16 trials. I'm not so sure about that UCONN interest CC was ALWAYS going to play for her father in college. I believe he got the job at Kansas State 2 years before she left high school. CC was highly ranked but so far a rather pedestrian career at KSU-Shooting barely over 30% in two seasons.
I have a little more insight being a native of Minnesota and my niece playing with CC and farthers

Not sure what your point is in showing FG percantage based off the original comment.
You seem to slight the point of Minnesota having talent. No matter what you think of the talent pool, it's here and its not staying locally, period!. That's the original point.

Being a native of the Land of Lakes. I know a little bit. So I can tell you CC's AAU club ran by her farther which my niece was a part of folded CC's Junior year. Due to farther getting a college coaching gig.

Reaction Score
These two! Gohlee! Hopefully the other one commits before another guard commits.

Hailey Van Lith seems to have a competitive feistiness (Taurasi-ish) that comes with loving the game of basketball. She most definitely knows how to score the rock. She and Paige could be a perfect combo.
Just wish she was two inches taller.

Reaction Score
UConn has snagged four of the last six #1 recruits (including PB), and had a starting line up at the end of the season that included three #1 recruits, the top PG from her class, and a NPOY candidate in Collier. Yup, Geno's in a recruiting slump alright. A recruiting slump every coach in America would love to have.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith seems to have a competitive feistiness (Taurasi-ish) that comes with loving the game of basketball. She most definitely knows how to score the rock. She and Paige could be a perfect combo.
Just wish she was two inches taller.
Everything about her game is feistiness, grittiness, toughness, strength, swagger, and overpowering. I think her height is fine because she knows how to score on taller guards despite being shorter. Mo Jeff(another penetrating guard) was an inch shorter, I think, and we saw how she turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom