Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coach Geno Auriemma and associate head coach Chris Dailey recruited her for years, visiting her as much as the NCAA would allow. Their interest never wavered, and the consistency of their efforts helped them build a relationship with Bueckers.

Bueckers loves Diana Taurasi for all the obvious reasons, but also because of her competitive spirit and passion for the game. Taurasi and Bueckers were both in Tampa Friday night for the Final Four, but the high school junior didn’t have the chance to meet her.

Bueckers also pointed out that because of her height (5 feet 11) and vision, she’s comfortable playing the two and three positions, as well.

UConn recruit Paige Bueckers talks UConn, recruiting process

Reaction Score
So how do Bueckers and Muhl coexist? Did Coach Geno recruit both in the expectation that he would only get one? Or is there a strategy here?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So how do Bueckers and Muhl coexist? Did Coach Geno recruit both in the expectation that he would only get one? Or is there a strategy here?

Certainly an interesting question. Bueckers is equally adept at both guard spots and probably can even play some wing. Muhl strikes me as a PG until/unless she improves her shot. It's a good problem to have.

Reaction Score
you don't want Paige to be playing 40 min. a game and I'm sure she can play with Nika in the same backcourt. it would be nice to have 2 great passers on the court at the same time.

Reaction Score
Anyone who watched the U17's last summer knows that Bueckers, Hailey Van Lith & Fudd played very very well together. That was probably the most polished team I've seen in USA Jr's. Both Bueckers and Muhl have already stated their "team first" approach. I think some here are seeing potential problems that won't arise.
The only downside to three top guards (plus Fudd a year later) in one class is that all 3 will leave together after dominating minutes for 4 years. It would be a bit like what ND is facing next season. But that's way down the road. I'm for focusing on now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Anyone who watched the U17's last summer knows that Bueckers, Hailey Van Lith & Fudd played very very well together. That was probably the most polished team I've seen in USA Jr's. Both Bueckers and Muhl have already stated their "team first" approach. I think some here are seeing potential problems that won't arise.
The only downside to three top guards (plus Fudd a year later) in one class is that all 3 will leave together after dominating minutes for 4 years. It would be a bit like what ND is facing next season. But that's way down the road. I'm for focusing on now.

Nika and Paige squared off in Tampa in the NBA Academy event. I found a comment by Nika interesting. The comment, that they are 2 very different players. I look at their videos (and maybe I have to look closer?) and I see very similar skill sets, though in differentiating them I'd say Nika was more of a slasher when the opportunity arose. Me, I'm just a fan with a smidge of knowledge. Be interested in the take of the real experts here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Having a five or even six player rotation in the guard/wing department really should not be an issue. It is much easier being an effective team with 4 guard wings on the floor with a post than it is playing two post players together. We saw issues with Napheesa and Azura on the floor together as they tried to occupy similar space on the floor. And with the chance to play more pressure defense without fear of fouls it could be quite exciting to have a solid rotation of guards and wings. Geno has proven to be very comfortable coaching a ten player rotation in the Olympics/Worlds and if he has the players (and both 2020 recruits fit the mold of complete team players) it could be great.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another question:

Where and when did she get all sweated up in a UConn jersey?

1554840375397.png

Mail your answer to the University Of Tennessee NCAA Rules Compliance program head Andrew Donovan, P O Box 15016 ...... :p

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

First of all a lot can happen before they actually get here, and when they do I think they can be a dual interchangeable threat. Ball handling heaven for the Huskies!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
First of all a lot can happen before they actually get here, and when they do I think they can be a dual interchangeable threat. Ball handling heaven for the Huskies!

Say, wait, didn't that happen once before? Let me see now ... yeah, Bird and Taurasi: the greatest backcourt in college and Olympic history. Yeah. This could work out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Having a five or even six player rotation in the guard/wing department really should not be an issue. It is much easier being an effective team with 4 guard wings on the floor with a post than it is playing two post players together. We saw issues with Napheesa and Azura on the floor together as they tried to occupy similar space on the floor. And with the chance to play more pressure defense without fear of fouls it could be quite exciting to have a solid rotation of guards and wings. Geno has proven to be very comfortable coaching a ten player rotation in the Olympics/Worlds and if he has the players (and both 2020 recruits fit the mold of complete team players) it could be great.

I'd still like to have 2 talented bigs on our team all the time. Twin Towers can be fun and even necessary now and then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Say, wait, didn't that happen once before? Let me see now ... yeah, Bird and Taurasi: the greatest backcourt in college and Olympic history. Yeah. This could work out.
Two of the best passers and clutch shot makers ever. In case they retire at the same time, they could go into the Naismith HOF at the same time. That would be hilarious.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has proven to be very comfortable coaching a ten player rotation in the Olympics/Worlds and if he has the players (and both 2020 recruits fit the mold of complete team players) it could be great.

Yeah, but the last time he said his coaching consisted of staying out of their way! :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What a great recruit for UCONN. Paige has outstanding body control going to the hoop. I can see why UCONN fans are excited!

Nika shows flashes of that too, but Paige is definitely further along.

Reaction Score
Paige seems like a terrific young woman. Was appalled at the venom in some of the comments from her home state trolls. Furious that she didn't choose to play for Lindsay at the "U". Real classy folks. Have a great Senior season Paige!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige seems like a terrific young woman. Was appalled at the venom in some of the comments from her home state trolls. Furious that she didn't choose to play for Lindsay at the "U". Real classy folks. Have a great Senior season Paige!

For all the complaints about reaction to Brunelle's verbal to Notre Dame, I never saw close to the animus directed at her that was directed at Bueckers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I do not agree. I actually had commented on this during the announcement. Perhaps more venom has built up over time. ?

Taking into account how important it would have been to keep such a recruit in MN and with Whelan as coach clearly increasing their chances, I think the vast majority of the MN fans were very gracious. The 5% trolls occur everywhere.

I really thought MN with Whalen would be her destination. Especially with MN's quick start. But thank god, I know nothing. :D

Based on twitter replies, I estimate 95% on the MN fans are very happy she will play in the most celebrated program. 5% not so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom