PAC 12 final offer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 final offer

Reaction Score
Those presidents will be long gone before "linear TV". Guess they feel they have to look out for the immediate future however short sighted it may be.
I’m not so sure. Early 90’s I bought a home on 18 acres in Southern New Hampshire. We were newly married with not a whole lot of money, the home was a fixer upper.
On the roof was a rotating antenna - one direction got Hartford stations, another Boston, Manchester, Lebanon. Sometimes came in better than other times.
The house was about 600 feet from the road. I checked into cable. Beyond some distance they’d charge me by the foot to run it to the house. Would’ve cost us around $1000 just to install. No thank you.
Someone at work posted a C-band satellite dish for sale. C-band had a service to subscribe a la carte. Only get the stations you want. Additionally there were always free feeds you can tap into. I can’t count how many UCONN games I saw with no commercials. I even used to get a free Newfoundland station. It was the least expensive yet ideal tv viewing I ever had. A la carte by network and show.
Obviously that technology is gone now but if someone could bring that service to viewers they’d make a fortune. So that’s why I’m sure it will eventually happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the claim "Apple isn't ready" is fully accurate but regardless of that, it appears that not enough of the general public is close to being ready to embrace streaming (and eliminate linear broadcasts) for this to work at this time.

Reaction Score
Many of those are going to Youtube TV, Hulu with Live TV, Fubo, etc. and those services get all of the sports channels that come with linear. Sports fans don't cancel their cable and replace it with just Netflix, they still have access to the major sports channels.
I want to cut cable but how do major sports fans do it? Family members of mine have Fubo and it's awful for sports.

Reaction Score
I want to cut cable but how do major sports fans do it? Family members of mine have Fubo and it's awful for sports.

Depends who your teams are. YouTube tv is great for uconn and any national stuff. For the pro regional networks not as much and getting worse unfortunately

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Youtube TV is fine. They get pretty much every sports channel, at least the same as cable (except for baseball, they've dropped the three baseball teams). You're 15 seconds or so behind cable but that doesn't really matter unless you like to live bet in which case you're better off staying with cable. You do need high speed internet, although most places offer Gig speed for fairly cheap.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How do you figure this? ESPN is standard on YTTV.

If you can get tv direct without paying for ESPN, which you can now (either direct or through Sling, and I am sure there are others), then ESPN counts as a second subscription. As more consumers get comfortable with on-demand, fewer will pay for ESPN, especially if the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL leave ESPN.

But even on HULU Live or YoutubeTV, ESPN no longer has a channel real estate advantage in a streaming world. It can’t tell us what to watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Neither ESPN or Fox was willing to give the PAC 12 a reasonable offer, but as soon as Apple showed up, they opened their wallets, and in the end, will have paid much more for the schools they raided to play schedules against non traditional rivals than they would have if they had just made a fair offer to the PAC 12 out of the gate.

Just like the raid of the Big East 11 years ago.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And for all of you that said the market wasn’t ready for streaming, ESPN and Fox disagree. They clearly viewed the Apple deal as a threat.

Reaction Score
Neither ESPN or Fox was willing to give the PAC 12 a reasonable offer, but as soon as Apple showed up, they opened their wallets, and in the end, will have paid much more for the schools they raided to play schedules against non traditional rivals than they would have if they had just made a fair offer to the PAC 12 out of the gate.

Just like the raid of the Big East 11 years ago.
As a sports fan, i chose my streaming service based on where i could get most of my UConn games, ESPN, Fox Sports, CBSSN and SNY were must haves. As mentioned i started with VUE which was great but went out of business, it was also more prone to glitches. Sling to me sucked, because their cloud DVR was very limited. If you are not a sports fan you can get Philo for 25 bucks a month. I've tried that too and its good as well.

This is all to say streaming has been here. Its gaining popularity but there are a ton of services/options. I don't know what apple is gonna offer the streaming sports fan that is going to be all that different than what is on the market, especially since google, has a headstart on them with YTTV.

Reaction Score

This playbook was written once already. That is why what Yormark did was brilliant (even though it sucks for us). He was proactive and negotiated his deal ahead of the PAC even if his deal was set to expire after the PAC's. Kliavkoff's failure was in not getting his president's to see the failure in doing that. However, i am inclined to believe that Oregon and Washington were difficult in this process because they are the ones that got exactly what they wanted.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This playbook was written once already. That is why what Yormark did was brilliant (even though it sucks for us). He was proactive and negotiated his deal ahead of the PAC even if his deal was set to expire after the PAC's. Kliavkoff's failure was in not getting his president's to see the failure in doing that. However, i am inclined to believe that Oregon and Washington were difficult in this process because they are the ones that got exactly what they wanted.
I believe the PAC 10 wanted to stay together. They wanted to be associated with each other. The problem was that the deal Kliavkov had wasn’t good enough for the majority of the conference. The money wasn’t there and neither was the exposure. That’s why they waited so long to see the deal. When it wasn’t what they wanted, Arizona, Oregon and Washington found new homes.

Reaction Score
I believe the PAC 10 wanted to stay together. They wanted to be associated with each other. The problem was that the deal Kliavkov had wasn’t good enough for the majority of the conference. The money wasn’t there and neither was the exposure. That’s why they waited so long to see the deal. When it wasn’t what they wanted, Arizona, Oregon and Washington found new homes.
I think most of the PAC wanted to stay together. Not Washington and Oregon though. They had been angling for the B1G since USC and UCLA got picked up. Unfortunately they were the most valuable pieces of what was left. The second they were out, everyone headed for the lifeboats. Colorado apparently saw it before everyone else. Oregon and Washington i don't believe were acting in good faith. The whole conference was confident they were signing a GOR, up until 10 minutes before the meeting? That just says OU and UW worked the phones through the night trying to get out. Not hard to see.

Reaction Score
ESPN and Fox paid more for less content than it would have cost them to just make a fair bid in the first place.
It does seem like bad business. But they do it over and over again.

Reaction Score
ESPN and Fox paid more for less content than it would have cost them to just make a fair bid in the first place.
FOX paid more, but ESPN only pays part of the Big 12 contract and only bought 4 of the PAC 12 schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It does seem like bad business. But they do it over and over again.

Different reasons than the 11 years ago with the Big East. Back then, ESPN wanted to teach the Big East a lesson. This time, there was a little bit of that with the Pac 12, but the bigger reason is that ESPN is going up for sale and Disney does not want to sell a division that is competing with Apple. It would kill Disney on the price.

Reaction Score
If no one else ever cuts the cord, then maybe this is a valid argument. How likely do you think that is to happen?
Price point is the issue.

What would the cost be for apple to want to do this?

Here is my thing though that makes anyone turning down apple crazy…

How many iPhones and iPads are in use? Apple TV is a service people know how to get to.

Reaction Score
And for all of you that said the market wasn’t ready for streaming, ESPN and Fox disagree. They clearly viewed the Apple deal as a threat.
Streaming is here .

Best shows on tv are streaming shows. Few people under the age of 40 are clamoring for their X1 remote.

The biggest threats to espn and fox are their competitors - apple, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix.

Those companies create great content, but more importantly, have developed a platform to deliver that content easily.

Here is thing…we are now watching UConn play those silly exhibitions over in Europe. Too bad they didn’t realize there was a market for that content. Missed opportunity to sell imo.

Reaction Score
People are also suffering from subscription fatigue.
Are they? I am, but if you got something I want to watch, what are you going to do?

When you have that fatigue, content matters even more.

Reaction Score
It is nothing compared to the fatigue my $380/month cable/internet bill was giving me.
I agree with this. But tally up all your subscriptions and see where you are at.

GoNetSpeed 70 bucks
Yttv 75
Netflix 17
Espn/hulu/disney 21
Spotify family 17
Amazon Prime i think its 12 a month average. I had apple tv for free. Nothing there i liked.

I think i got all of mine. Everything keeps going up too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with this. But tally up all your subscriptions and see where you are at.

GoNetSpeed 70 bucks
Yttv 75
Netflix 17
Espn/hulu/disney 21
Spotify family 17
Amazon Prime i think its 12 a month average. I had apple tv for free. Nothing there i liked.

I think i got all of mine. Everything keeps going up too.

Why is Spotify or Netflix on that list? You were paying for them when you had cable, and probably Amazon Prime too.

It is not even close to what Cox was charging, and the streaming sites like ParamountPlus and Max are light years better than the on-demand library for Showtime or HBO.

Reaction Score
Why is Spotify or Netflix on that list? You were paying for them when you had cable, and probably Amazon Prime too.

It is not even close to what Cox was charging, and the streaming sites like ParamountPlus and Max are light years better than the on-demand library for Showtime or HBO.
They're subs. Netflix yes, Spotify no. That's my most recent add. And that is the issue. You want to watch anything good, you have to keep adding subscriptions. I've told the family we're only adding from here on if we cut something else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom