PAC 12 final offer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 final offer

Reaction Score
More and more information are coming out regarding the PAC-12 media rights negotiations.

Due to all kinds of potential conflicts of interest throughout the entire process with FOX etc, there needs some kind of congressional investigation.

Reaction Score
More and more information are coming out regarding the PAC-12 media rights negotiations.

Due to all kinds of potential conflicts of interest throughout the entire process with FOX etc, there needs some kind of congressional investigation.

I think Congress has bigger fish to fry right now. College sports should be like #1287 on the list of priorities.

Reaction Score
I think Congress has bigger fish to fry right now. College sports should be like #1287 on the list of priorities.
usp_rafael_palmeiro_suspended_10_games_for_steroids_8453993.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
True, but congress has no desire to let some of said fish get anywhere near a frying pan.

Reaction Score
Fascinating read. When i heard Kliavkoff speak for the 1st time a few weeks ago i knew they were cooked and posted it on this forum. The only hope was that schools valued staying together and that the networks wouldn't over pay for any particular teams. Kliavkoff didn’t "under deliver", he "never delivered".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Widespread anti-competitive behavior in a multi billion dollar industry is not important enough?
So, is it anti-competitive to improve a conference that can better compete with the SEC? It will be curious to see what comes out if there is a lawsuit. If Fox and ESPN colluded, then that's a problem. If Fox just took the 4 best programs to shore up their league, that's perfectly ok unless they have monopoly Market Power, and they don't. ESPN has SEC, ACC and 2/3 of the Big XII even if you use the narrowest definition of Market.

They only way this has any chance under antitrust laws is if there is collusion. I don't see a tortious interference with contract claim either.

Reaction Score
Great article. I think the miscalculation only sped up the timeline for what was going to happen anyways. Oregon and Washington were going to jump to the B1G as soon as the B1G was ready to expand again. It looked like that might be in 2030 when the new B1G media rights contract expires. The gross ineptitude of the PAC-12 led the B1G to adding them now as opposed to the start of the next contract. The B1G didn't want to be seen as destroying the PAC-12 even though that is essentially what they did. They wanted to add USC and UCLA now - integrate them - fix all of the bugs with travel to see how this is going to work smoothly - and then come back for Oregon and Washington at the end of the decade. I feel confident that was the original plan. When things fell apart in the PAC, the B1G pounced.

Reaction Score
"At least two of the Pac-12 presidents were so eager to get it done that they executed the document the night before, per multiple conference sources."

I wonder who the two were that were so eager? cough Oregon State and Washington State cough

Reaction Score
As good as the Big 12 came out of this in the end, they still face this problem:

All Big 12 schools will make $31.7 million per year.

Oregon and Washington, at only half shares in the B1G, will make $35 million per year.

The Big 12 is earning less than half of the B1G. That's going to make things difficult in the future when a B1G (or SEC) team comes up to a successful football or basketball coach in the Big 12 and asks him, "Hey, would you like to double or triple your salary? Come coach our team!"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, is it anti-competitive to improve a conference that can better compete with the SEC? It will be curious to see what comes out if there is a lawsuit. If Fox and ESPN colluded, then that's a problem. If Fox just took the 4 best programs to shore up their league, that's perfectly ok unless they have monopoly Market Power, and they don't. ESPN has SEC, ACC and 2/3 of the Big XII even if you use the narrowest definition of Market.

They only way this has any chance under antitrust laws is if there is collusion. I don't see a tortious interference with contract claim either.

There are a lot of antitrust problems with college sports and the conferences and CFP. I think they would get stomped in court because A) there are two mega conferences that appear to be colluding with their customers to keep other schools out, and B) sports leagues almost always lose serious antitrust cases. College sports’ track record is particularly grim.

The P2 would get their clocks cleaned.

Reaction Score
Basically. PAC presidents were a bunch of greedy guys who over estimated their conference. They thought B1G got $65M, the PAC-12 deserved $50M. They had an offer of $30M, and they turned it down. I am not sure if George pushed back on the presidents, but they rejected the offer and got screwed in the end.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basically. PAC presidents were a bunch of greedy guys who over estimated their conference. They thought B1G got $65M, the PAC-12 deserved $50M. They had an offer of $30M, and they turned it down. I am not sure if George pushed back on the presidents, but they rejected the offer and got screwed in the end.

8 of the 12 PAC 12 schools did better than $30 million per school, so those schools were correct to turn down the offer.

Reaction Score
8 of the 12 PAC 12 schools did better than $30 million per school, so those schools were correct to turn down the offer.
I think Nike should build a facility outside of Chicago so the Oregon football team can house there during fall semseter and only come back to Eugene for "home games". Will be much easier on the "student" athletes.

Reaction Score
I think Nike should build a facility outside of Chicago so the Oregon football team can house there during fall semseter and only come back to Eugene for "home games". Will be much easier on the "student" athletes.
Oregon could work out a deal with the Packers and even play a few "home" games at Lambeau

greenbay.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

To clarify, I get the short term decision of the PAC 12 schools to leave, but think the smarter move would have been to take the Apple deal.

Reaction Score
The Pac 12's late time slots really hurts value. But, there was another issue at play. When the Big 12 signed their contract, Bob Chapek was still CEO of Disney and he didn't appear to have a LT plan for ESPN. One month after the Big 12 deal was signed, Chapek was out and Bob Iger was in at Disney. Iger has made it clear that streaming and direct to consumer is the future and ESPN should look to partner with content providers. I don't think he wanted to pay big dollars for the Pac 12 given his view of the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To clarify, I get the short term decision of the PAC 12 schools to leave, but think the smarter move would have been to take the Apple deal.
These two comments, close together, are contradictory. The ESPN deal was much better than the Apple deal. When you factor in travel, which the Washington AD said was about an extra $10m a year, that was their best offer. PAC has been arrogant for decades, even turning down Oklahoma packaged with Texas. They brought this on themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom