PAC 12 final offer | The Boneyard

PAC 12 final offer

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Athletic reporting $25/school plus incentives to take it to as high as $50/school. Can’t find a link on my phone.

Turning that deal down by the PAC 12 will go down in history as one of the stupidest decisions by any sports league.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Athletic reporting $25/school plus incentives to take it to as high as $50/school. Can’t find a link on my phone.

Turning that deal down by the PAC 12 will go down in history as one of the stupidest decisions by any sports league.
UO and UW turned that down to take $30M a year and about half what Rutgers gets. Yikes.

Reaction Score
You can't plan out budgets with assumed subscriber numbers to begin with. The PAC-12 was already screwed on this once with the Pac-12 Network. Larry Scott gave them a low-range number, an expected number and a high range number. Turns out, the actual number was MUCH lower than the low-range number! Luckily, that was third-tier payouts. Imagine that happening with first-tier rights. Those athletic departments would have been SCREWED if that happened with Apple TV!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well played by FOX using B1G to steal an important media property from Apple.

If the Big East is smart, they need to seek out Apple looking for something similar at the next media deal negotiation.

I would be checking my emails right now if I was the Big 10 because if the PAC 4 decides to sue, the Big 10 is probably going to lose. The fact pattern shows one of a P2 destroying a competitor to effectively take over a market. That isn’t just anticompetitive behavior resulting in a fine or settlement, someone or ones could go to jail.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Washington and Oregon will now have unprecedented nationwide coverage and will be making over $100 million six years after joining.

They would have been fools to turn down the B1G. Obviously that was never going to happen.

Washington and Oregon will never be full members of the Big 10. They participated in a scheme to stab their conference mates in the back for an extra $5 million a year.

Reaction Score
I would be checking my emails right now if I was the Big 10 because if the PAC 4 decides to sue, the Big 10 is probably going to lose. The fact pattern shows one of a P2 destroying a competitor to effectively take over a market. That isn’t just anticompetitive behavior resulting in a fine or settlement, someone or ones could go to jail.
What do you think they will win? Didn't the Big East win like some nice home and home series with the ACC schools or something like that?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What do you think they will win? Didn't the Big East win like some nice home and home series with the ACC schools or something like that?

Big East won a BCS bid, which left UConn in a major conference.

If you can’t keep up, do us all a favor and do not try to play.

Reaction Score
If no one else ever cuts the cord, then maybe this is a valid argument. How likely do you think that is to happen?
It was perhaps a good deal in 2033 for a conference with fans better than the PAC. But that is not this.

Reaction Score
Washington and Oregon will never be full members of the Big 10.

They will be full members at the start of the next contract. This has already been reported.

If they do what Rutgers and Maryland did, they might borrow money from the B1G to leverage against future earnings. I'm guessing both Washington and Oregon have the funds in place to not have to do this. Nebraska didn't have to do it. Maryland was in a lot of debt and Rutgers was coming from next to nothing. I'm not sure if Maryland and Rutgers have paid back all of their loans yet or not. If they are not yet receiving equal shares, it's only because they are still paying back the money they borrowed from the conference.

Reaction Score
I am not going to argue with people whose premise is that linear broadcasting is the future.
It’s not, but that contract wasn’t a play for 2033. It was a play for 2025. American broadband and sports consumption is not there.

But again, neither is PAC football. These are the ratings per school:

Reaction Score
It’s not, but that contract wasn’t a play for 2033. It was a play for 2025. American broadband and sports consumption is not there.

Exactly! All of the top recruits in the PAC-12 would have left their schools in the transfer portal because no one could see them play RIGHT NOW. They won't even be around whenever streaming does take over. What will they care? They need to be seen RIGHT NOW.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Ratings are based on a linear broadcasting model where ESPN and Fox promote games and put them in time slots that basically tell us what and when we should watch. A streaming model will be very different.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Exactly! All of the top recruits in the PAC-12 would have left their schools in the transfer portal because no one could see them play RIGHT NOW. They won't even be around whenever streaming does take over. What will they care? They need to be seen RIGHT NOW.

Is that why the big 10 has won so many championships in the last 20 years?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Basically Washington and Oregon screwed the rest by taking a low ball offer from the B1G in order to get a seat at the table.

B1G ultimately killed the league as I predicted a long time ago. I can't believe 108 Years old league went kaboom just like that.
Wouldn’t UCONN take that offer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom