OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville

Reaction Score
I have no idea if Enoch will be good at Louisville. What I do know is that he was awful at UConn and as bad as UConn was, with Enoch on the floor they were often times at their worst. May be a change of scenery will be best. All I know, is it was never going to happen here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that we may see how good Montrezl Harrell would have been if he was 3 inches taller. Enoch has 19 months to learn how to play defense; I think he can do it.

This is exactly my fear.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Seems like a strange fit, If he fails he can't blame the coach.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Shots fired!

Also, kids don't have to worry about academics there (at all), so they can focus totally on basketball. Huge advantage to Ville.
They don't worry about academics at UConn either lol. We just vail it really well. Everyone cooks the books.

Either way Enoch has over a year to learn defense under a HOF coach. As a CT kid I'm excited for his future.

C

Chief00

Giving Travis another year,when he should have been gone last year, really hurt the program. Also, not addressing the lack of Bigs Developmemt coaching really harmed us. But, that's on KO.

Reaction Score
I'm LOL'ing. Louisville ? ACC ? From Tulane, UCF, USF, etc. To UNC, ND, Duke ? What is he thinking ?
Can you say delusional ? I see alot of mop up time in blowout games. 4th or 5th man off bench at best.

Good luck Steve.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is exactly my fear.
Not mine. Not based on your contentions. He goes and does well is only a problem if KO can't figure things out.

My fear is Steve does well and UConn continues to suck. My hope is he does well and KO rights the ship. There's room enough in the world to have both turn out to be successful in the future.

Reaction Score
I read a lot of words saying that it really is on Kevin Ollie ... this was a failure of effort. I don't think KO lacks in the motivation nor tough love. Does anyone think Calhoun or Pitino are "player coach" types? The kid has a chance to be really darn good. But enough with the "lack of development" and "poor Strength & Conditioning" crap. It is largely on Enoch. I think this is a good choice by him and his family ... and I promise not to have any regrets if he does good.

pj

Reaction Score
Don't get the skeptics. If he had stayed at UConn I'd give him a better than 50% chance of becoming a high quality player. With the extra transfer year to mature and practice, and similar coaching quality, his chances must be higher at Louisville.

But, he is replaceable. If we get Simi Shittu, we won't miss Steve.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Don't get the skeptics. If he had stayed at UConn I'd give him a better than 50% chance of becoming a high quality player. With the extra transfer year to mature and practice, and similar coaching quality, his chances must be higher at Louisville.

Yep. That extra year of just watching , learning and practicing is the key.

Reaction Score

The only reason we miss Steve is right now we're not getting any new big men since his departure. The other reason one would hope the light went off eventually and he would learn how to play defense or something even close to it. With an extra year maybe he will and maybe he won't. If he doesn't he will spit on Pitino and the program also of not developing him just a way of life now.

Reaction Score
The other reason one would hope the light went off eventually and he would learn how to play defense or something even close to it. With an extra year maybe he will and maybe he won't.
Steve has talent. His defense was atrocious though.

Either he doesn't work hard enough, or our coaching/motivation sucks. If he goes to Louisville and is great, that doesn't answer this question (people mature), but it isn't a good look, and could be a piece in the puzzle in figure out what is wrong with this program in the last 3 years. I'm not going to lie that I'm a little nervous we won't like the answer.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Let's hope he literally "commits". The kid has talent and untapped potential, but based on his desire to bail on us mid-season, loyalty isn't his strong suit. Still, he did stay through the end of the year and didn't leave in classless fashion, so I doubt I'll ever root against him when he's not playing us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not mine. Not based on your contentions. He goes and does well is only a problem if KO can't figure things out.

My fear is Steve does well and UConn continues to suck. My hope is he does well and KO rights the ship. There's room enough in the world to have both turn out to be successful in the future.

Yeah, this is my greatest fear by far. I actually don't care if Enoch becomes good or not.

If he does, there are a multitude of scenarios. One, he's developing under an HOF coach -> so what do you expect. Two, he'll be getting the redshirt year he desperately needed to get his feet under him. So, there's absolutely no equivalency from a developmental perspective. And all that ignores that he probably could have developed at UCONN under Ollie as an upperclassmen, when most bigs do the majority of their developing anyway. So in reality, his developing doesn't necessarily tell us much.

But if we get good again, all that becomes moot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Either he doesn't work hard enough, or our coaching/motivation sucks. If he goes to Louisville and is great, that doesn't answer this question (people mature), but it isn't a good look, and could be a piece in the puzzle in figure out what is wrong with this program in the last 3 years. I'm not going to lie that I'm a little nervous we won't like the answer.

I honestly don't think it matters at all. And for this reason: if we continue to scuffle during the next 3 years (the latter 2 when we'll see Steve's on the court development), Ollie would be gone. The confirmation would be in the continued languishing of our program, nothing to do with Steve. A new coach would be in place and the question would be moot.

If we get good again, the question will be moot, because Ollie has righted the ship, and what happened in the past would be considered a learning experience.

The more i think about it, the less it matters.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

Hopefully by the time Enoch steps on the court again we won't really care because we have a better player and any "issues" in developing his position have been corrected.
I mean Roscoe and Others left and it hurt , and we had the same amount of gloom and doom threads but we filled those spots pretty good. Question: Did we replace Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Roscoe and Alex with lesser ranked kids and
How did it work out?

Reaction Score
Wow that last sentence is a complete shot at Ollie/UConn. With this plus the Jacobs article you have to think Ollie really ragged on all the players a lot without the players feeling much of that "tough love." Being on a losing team and hearing that badgering will kill a player's confidence and will create a hostility vibe towards the coach.

Anybody who has been on a losing team knows the feeling in the locker room when expectations are not being met and the coach continues to scream. It becomes more of a feeling of annoyance than a feeling of disappointment/wanting to get better. Maybe this theory of getting "UConn-type" guys would change that feeling of a locker room however I doubt that is the only cure.

Who knows, maybe the players really needed to be coddled and weren't up for the task to see reality and fix their weaknesses in their game. However, these comments and the article have really made me start to question Ollie's tactics of late. Hoping he can turn it around.
Exactly the reason Enoch + Durham left

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom