OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that we may see how good Montrezl Harrell would have been if he was 3 inches taller. Enoch has 19 months to learn how to play defense; I think he can do it.
what a horrendous comparison.

C

Chief00

He was responding to someone who agreed with someone else that the players left because KO was tough on them in the locker room. And saying JC was that way as well so why is it a bad thing KO was that way?

I think it's similar to the way KO gets technicals. The timing is just not there. It's much better to get it out during competition and unite once the game is over.

Reaction Score
I must be living in a different world where guys are going to play for Rick Pitino to get away from the tough love approach.

@walker11 my fear with Enoch is that he becomes a rich man's Ben Wallace. I see a lot of similarities in their games, major difference being that Enoch is more skilled + taller.
Wow I though the Harrel comparison was bad, but this takes the cake! Holy molly what planet you been living on?

C

Chief00

Off topic, but who has been tasked as the big man coach now that Miller is out?
Good question. While he technically can't coach - I could see our strength and conditioning coach take over that role and maybe Killings in a more formal sense. From now to next Fall the S&C guy will spend the most time with the Bigs if things are working right.

Reaction Score
Just because Steve is going to a big time program does not mean hes any better than any of us thought. He has potential and Lville has no bigs on their roster for 2018, he is absolutely worth a flier for them and RP will absolutely still try and recruit over him. Steve has a looooooong ways to go to be a productive college player who can stay on the floor for 25-30 min a game.

I hope the best for him, but UConn will be fine without him.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Good question. While he technically can't coach - I could see our strength and conditioning coach take over that role and maybe Killings in a more formal sense. From now to next Fall the S&C guy will spend the most time with the Bigs if things are working right.
Maybe Clyde can handle strength while the actual S&C guy coaches our bigs.

Reaction Score
Some of you are quite dense

There was a reference to a Calhoun moment. Do you understand that at that time - 1994 - Jim Calhoun was in his 22nd year as a College Coach. KO is a few behind. Pitino will soon begin his 5th decade. Yes. Ollie needs to learn timing to get out the tough love & go get technicals. We bought THE guy with the PhD in modern coaching; and you really need to ride out this year of lessons learned. What do you say about his 2014 HC composition of roles? It was brilliant.

I get the lack of patience. I get that a large percentage of you weren't around for JCs first years nor Dom Perno. Trust me though ... these next 6 months are the most interesting of our UConn fan base. Stop acting like you're entitled to being a Blueblood. Enoch is a good poster boy for us. A Connecticut kid that didn't learn to work on defense nor take to critical coaching. Both Ollie has to get better & our Bigs need to get tougher. We are better WITH a Rod Sellers type than coddling a wannabe.

Reaction Score
The major difference is Ben Wallace was an elite defender and Steve doesn't play any defense.

Ben Wallace? Ben Wallace was one of the best defensive players in the NBA the past 30 years and a monster rebounder with zero offense. Enoch has played zero defense, limited rebounding, and has a lot of offensive skills he has only scratched the surface on showing because his defense is so bad. You would be hard-pressed to pick two more disparate big guys.

I know I need to get better as a poster when I compare Steve Enoch to Ben Wallace and people think I'm serious. Somehow it doesn't feel ay worse than the Harrell comparison, though.

Reaction Score
I know I need to get better as a poster when I compare Steve Enoch to Ben Wallace and people think I'm serious. Somehow it doesn't feel ay worse than the Harrell comparison, though.

Eh, it was very obvious sarcasm. What is a good comparison? A homeless man's Jahlil Okafor? The lack of defense and rebounding with the good hands and solid post moves. The main difference is that Okafor's moves actually resulted in buckets (and his footwork is far better).

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
What do you mean by the "Hit someone you " video? That's one of my favorite JC videos. It encapsulates what JC is all about and it's one of the main things that's been missing from UConn basketball the past 4 years.

It was effective , got right to the point , and translates well in multiple sports but you Probably can't get away with that in 2017.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) first and foremost, good luck Steve

2) do we really have a problem with kids not liking our coach? Silly me, I thought that was the norm :(

Reaction Score

But Killings isn't as big as Dave Padgett how could this be?:rolleyes:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I am not a Louisville fan. You can say what you want about Pitino. They would not have asked Enoch to come on board if they didn't see something. I was figuring a few lower level schools would try to court him. Louisville as much as they are despised here, is not a lower level round ball school. We will see.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I am not a Louisville fan. You can say what you want about Pitino. They would not have asked Enoch to come on board if they didn't see something. I was figuring a few lower level schools would try to court him. Louisville as much as they are despised here, is not a lower level round ball school. We will see.
No. Clearly he has no talent and is a useless quitter. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Louisville took a flier on a kid with size who does have offensive upside. There was no downside for Pitino. If he develops, great. In the interim, they will still recruit over him and nothing is guaranteed. Enoch's role can be very similar to his role here. Best case scenario, he reaches his potential. Worst case scenario, he pulls a Terrence Samuel and plays for three schools. The former is possible, the latter is far more likely.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Schools have 12 scholarships, not all 12 kids play, not even at Louisville

I personally have no idea what's going to happen for SE @ Louisville, I wish him well, but I think it's a yuuuuuuge stretch to think this is somehow a knock on Ollie

There might be more objectivity found on some political talk show than what's flying around here these days

I actually believe some "fans" are emotionally invested in seeing us fail next year. Hope they all are miserable next March :)

Reaction Score
Maybe there are people on this board that saw a player come in that at times showed offensive abilities better than our starting center ever had other than catching an alley oop pass. Let's face it, if the kid never showed anything why would anybody care that he transferred? The fact there is so much consternation and argument over it is because the fear is that we let a potential productive player get away which if it happens at Louisville will be a thumb in our eye. If that actually happens don't blame KO for heaven's sake, blame me, I will gladly take responsibility.

Reaction Score
Giving Travis another year,when he should have been gone last year, really hurt the program. Also, not addressing the lack of Bigs Developmemt coaching really harmed us. But, that's on KO.

We still have not fixed the big man coach issue. This is a glaring issue for me.

Reaction Score
We still have not fixed the big man coach issue. This is a glaring issue for me.

Not sure if we know if Killings or Chillious can coach big men? Or is it because we haven't hired a 6'10 guy?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They will probably be able to hide his defensive flaws in the match-up zone and 2-3 they play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom