OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Steven Enoch commits to Louisville

Reaction Score
There is no way that kid is going to play for Pitino with the effort/defensive intensity we saw at moments of February.
True.
So the question becomes, can the intensity change?
Answer: to be seen.

But we cannot and should not discount the possibility that Pitino will be able to get more out of him than Ollie. Who knows - Ollie is younger and newer and nicer - maybe what the kid needs is a little old school tongue lashing. And, of course, there's the notion that he may have extra motivation because it's all down hill if he doesn't make it.

Reaction Score
I must be living in a different world where guys are going to play for Rick Pitino to get away from the tough love approach.

@walker11 my fear with Enoch is that he becomes a rich man's Ben Wallace. I see a lot of similarities in their games, major difference being that Enoch is more skilled + taller.

Reaction Score
I must be living in a different world where guys are going to play for Rick Pitino to get away from the tough love approach.

@walker11 my fear with Enoch is that he becomes a rich man's Ben Wallace. I see a lot of similarities in their games, major difference being that Enoch is more skilled + taller.
Are you talking about 4 time NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Going from a mid major where he really was not any good to a P5 ?
LMFAO. Cards are a whore program like the Heels, but this kid is gonna play minutes there? Really?

Reaction Score
It's a good move for Enoch, he has a year to train and practice then the high tv exposure in the ACC in big games could be good for his future. Big men with good hands don't grow on trees. He never had the full opportunity he needed here ( I know many disagree) and that's on KO I'm sorry to say, but I hope the kid succeeeds.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
An all-offensive potential with so far zero defensive display Steven Enoch is on track to morph into a notorious no offensive game but multiple time NBA DPoY Ben Wallace, whew :rolleyes:.

Anyway... Enoch found himself a good spot to learn how to play in a low pressure situation since Pitino always seems to favor depth in his front court. Louisville and Pitino aren't known for producing NBA bigs but they get a lot out of their guys in their system. I don't think averaging double figures scoring at least one season at UL is out of the question for SE's skill set. The footwork and frame is there and it's rare in today's game so I am holding out hope for him.

Reaction Score
Steve has talent. His defense was atrocious though.

Either he doesn't work hard enough, or our coaching/motivation sucks. If he goes to Louisville and is great, that doesn't answer this question (people mature), but it isn't a good look, and could be a piece in the puzzle in figure out what is wrong with this program in the last 3 years. I'm not going to lie that I'm a little nervous we won't like the answer.

It's either he doesn't work hard enough or he's just not really smart. I mean to not believe they are not showing guys how to help, hedge and all of the defensive requirements is crazy. He's going to have to listen or take that end of the court more seriously because as if now he'd be lucky to get 2-4 minutes a game at Louisville it's really that simple.2 years he comprehended very little o the defensive end, I'm more the skeptic as to whether he ever will be at all a force there not matter what they try to teach him. And quite honestly his parting shot in that article, hope he gets buried on the bench.

Reaction Score

Ben Wallace? Ben Wallace was one of the best defensive players in the NBA the past 30 years and a monster rebounder with zero offense. Enoch has played zero defense, limited rebounding, and has a lot of offensive skills he has only scratched the surface on showing because his defense is so bad. You would be hard-pressed to pick two more disparate big guys.

Reaction Score
This should be, as Mr. Spock might say, ' ... fascinating'. How long is that bench?

Reaction Score
Exactly the reason Enoch + Durham left

Do you want him to be "supportive" there though?

Don't forget, there are players who hate Jim Calhoun's guts to this day.

Losing is losing.

Psychoanalyzing things based on players getting too much criticism etc. is largely meaningless on a board like this.

Or do we need someone to post the link to JC's "Hit someone you !!!" video?

I agree with the person who said Enoch's success is 50/50. Philip Nolan learned how to be in he right place, so really these players can learn no matter how lost they were as sophomores.

Now, I didn't watch Louisville this year, but from reading their fans' comments, they all mention that their bigs are not developing. Can't hit a shot near the rim, totally lost on defense. The refrain sounds oddly familiar to what we hear here.

Reaction Score
Ben Wallace n Montrezl Harell. Good comparisons? Steve was vastly overrated coming out of high school. He had a body that looks good on the cover of Muscle n Fitness. Not so much basketball skills. ESPN did not rate him in the top 100. I never know where the term describing him as an athlete freak came from. He only caught one alley op slam this yr. That was against South Florida. He did not once beat his man on a one to one bases for a dunk. No full court run n slams off a pass. The issue with him beside a lack of the understanding of the game is his lack of quickness n explosiveNess. You need that to be a top interior player. Beside the defense deficiencies, he probably pick up more offensive fouls then anyone due to his inability to get to his position for rebound, pick or posting. Quickness n explosiveness r the hardest things to learn n steve wont learn that since his body is fully developed. You will never be a dominating player in division I without that. End of the story. Steve will do better in a zone defense like louisville or syracuse. Just don't see him as more then a backup.

Reaction Score
Do you want him to be "supportive" there though?

Don't forget, there are players who hate Jim Calhoun's guts to this day.

Losing is losing.

Psychoanalyzing things based on players getting too much criticism etc. is largely meaningless on a board like this.

Or do we need someone to post the link to JC's "Hit someone you !!!" video?

I agree with the person who said Enoch's success is 50/50. Philip Nolan learned how to be in he right place, so really these players can learn no matter how lost they were as sophomores.

Now, I didn't watch Louisville this year, but from reading their fans' comments, they all mention that their bigs are not developing. Can't hit a shot near the rim, totally lost on defense. The refrain sounds oddly familiar to what we hear here.
What do you mean by the "Hit someone you " video? That's one of my favorite JC videos. It encapsulates what JC is all about and it's one of the main things that's been missing from UConn basketball the past 4 years.

Reaction Score
Wow that last sentence is a complete shot at Ollie/UConn. With this plus the Jacobs article you have to think Ollie really ragged on all the players a lot without the players feeling much of that "tough love." Being on a losing team and hearing that badgering will kill a player's confidence and will create a hostility vibe towards the coach.

Anybody who has been on a losing team knows the feeling in the locker room when expectations are not being met and the coach continues to scream. It becomes more of a feeling of annoyance than a feeling of disappointment/wanting to get better. Maybe this theory of getting "UConn-type" guys would change that feeling of a locker room however I doubt that is the only cure.

Who knows, maybe the players really needed to be coddled and weren't up for the task to see reality and fix their weaknesses in their game. However, these comments and the article have really made me start to question Ollie's tactics of late. Hoping he can turn it around.
Gee...Why did I always think Calhoun was pretty hard on his players...and sonehow still got great results? I've rarely seen Ollie openly embarrass his players during a game. I guess he's a real tyrant in closed door practices and post game locker room condemnations!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What do you mean by the "Hit someone you " video? That's one of my favorite JC videos. It encapsulates what JC is all about and it's one of the main things that's been missing from UConn basketball the past 4 years.
He was responding to someone who agreed with someone else that the players left because KO was tough on them in the locker room. And saying JC was that way as well so why is it a bad thing KO was that way?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know this is April but the 1st is long past
Goodbye SE - make sure you bring 3 year supply of cushions because your arse is going to be nailed to the bench or you will xfer again to Sacred Heart or UBridgeport in 2 yrs

Reaction Score
I know this is April but the 1st is long past
Goodbye SE - make sure you bring 3 year supply of cushions because your arse is going to be nailed to the bench or you will xfer again to Sacred Heart or UBridgeport in 2 yrs
I know you're an Ollie STAN but i think its generally bad to wish ill will on 19 y/o kids. If he was as soft and ill fitted here why do you care?

Reaction Score
Has the NCAA ruled on the Louisville case yet? If not, he'd be stupid to go to a school that may face sanctions or a tournament ban unless he doesnt really care

Reaction Score
Has the NCAA ruled on the Louisville case yet? If not, he'd be stupid to go to a school that may face sanctions or a tournament ban unless he doesnt really care

Ban? They're in the ACC. Syracuse, UNC got off easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom