OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's because it's all pictures of European soccer fans. Search "NFL thugs" and see what comes up.

But they're all white European soccer fans. And all those white hockey "thugs". I thought that was the new N-word?

Reaction Score
I guess I'll have to live with you not liking me too much. I just don't know how I'll sleep tonight.
No worries Jimmy, I still like you. And it may not be applicable to you, but if you don't see that race had something to do with the reaction to his behavior, even subconsciously, then you're choosing not to.

I am not saying anyone who didn't like his behavior is a racist. But it is fair to point to the amount of racism directed at him on social media, and say that race had something, to do with the negative reaction. Tom Brady chases the refs off the field and the discussion is about the refs and the bad call. About whether or not Brady had a point, not whether or not it was the appropriate reaction. Even those who criticized his behavior didn't call him a "thug".

Reaction Score
But they're all white European soccer fans. And all those white hockey "thugs". I thought that was the new N-word?

Now you're just burying your head in the sand.

I invite you to travel to Europe sometime, plenty of anti-Semitism and racism.

And different languages.

Apples to oranges.

Reaction Score
Now you're just burying your head in the sand.

I invite you to travel to Europe sometime, plenty of anti-Semitism and racism.

And different languages.

Apples to oranges.

At this point in the argument, I'm kinda just being a jerk intentionally.

Wheresthedove is right.......it comes down to this: some were entertained, I was not. Big deal. Do I think race played a role in some people's reaction? Yes I do. Do I think it was widespread racism? No. We may all agree to disagree on this, but I'm moving on.

Reaction Score
No worries Jimmy, I still like you. And it may not be applicable to you, but if you don't see that race had something to do with the reaction to his behavior, even subconsciously, then you're choosing not to.

I am not saying anyone who didn't like his behavior is a racist. But it is fair to point to the amount of racism directed at him on social media, and say that race had something, to do with the negative reaction. Tom Brady chases the refs off the field and the discussion is about the refs and the bad call. About whether or not Brady had a point, not whether or not it was the appropriate reaction. Even those who criticized his behavior didn't call him a "thug".

If its' a choice NOT to see race as involved in this, then it most certainly is also a choice TO see race as involved. What the guy said and his actions were in that interview after the game, have nothing to do with racism - how people choose to react does.

Arguing over the meaning of the word thug? Welcome to America.

Here's the Merriam-Webster online definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thug

While a lot of what happens on a football field, especially under a pile, could very well qualify for criminal behavior off the field, if it happened in a park or on a sidewalk or something, I don't tend to think of Richard Sherman as a violent criminal.

There's another former football player in jail in Massachusetts right now, that does fit the definition though.

Reaction Score
Just because someone is book smart and overcome certain situations, does not mean they have class or grace. The same way success in business or money earned isn't a predictor of class and grace. I'm fairly certain that the choices we make help define how people perceive us. Richard Sherman made a choice about what to say and how to say it and there are now people that have certain perceptions about his class, grace, sportsmanship, etc. We are each responsible for our choices and if we are so naive to not know how the choices we as individuals make impact others perceptions of us, be it in a classroom, field of play, or office environment then we're not very smart or savvy about the nuances of how people form and maintain relationship of every kind regardless of what the book learning says. The guy has a right to say what he wants, however he wants to say it....it's odd that people don't understand that the choices he made about how to express himself will influences people perception of him, rightly or wrongly. This is life, not racism.

For me he made a poor choice and if you don't have any other reference points to his character that's going to inform your opinion of the individual. I'm not a fan of people that self-promote, be it on the field of play or at the office or any other venue. We all know the dude that gives you his resume every time you talk to him, that guy is a , just like the name dropper at a party and for me the trash talking athlete regardless of race.

I will edit this with a note that I realize the definition of class and grace may very well be different for every person on this board and I don't presume that my definition is right for anyone other than me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny - how many of the Sherman haters here were all over Carl when he went after McCombs for his backflip into the end zone. Love to see the crossover on that.

Reaction Score
Funny - how many of the Sherman haters here were all over Carl when he went after McCombs for his backflip into the end zone. Love to see the crossover on that.

Boy, talk about comparing apples to garage door openers.

Reaction Score
So then this isn't about me first. It is about thuggish behavior.

Reaction Score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...erview-video_n_4648904.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

He gave the same exact spiel to the Fox Deportes guy before he was interviewed with EA, and you can see that it started off with a big hug between Sherman and EA. It is obvious when you watch this clip that he hadn't had 10 seconds of time between the end of the game and having a mike shoved in his face to collect himself.

It's a good thing he was allowed to compose himself, shower, and put on a nice suit before he redeemed himself by acting classy and not disparage anyone in the post game presser. Oh wait.

Reaction Score
So then this isn't about me first. It is about thuggish behavior.

I don't know? Does having class and conducting yourself professionally have anything to do with "thuggish behavior"? I never used that terminology.

Reaction Score
But people will defend HFD on this board, who called for the murder of the head of the BOT.

It's really classy to wish death upon our former head coach.

It's really classy to curse and defame people from other schools who post here because you deem them trolls.

Glass houses and all...

Reaction Score
Just because someone is book smart and overcome certain situations, does not mean they have class or grace. The same way success in business or money earned isn't a predictor of class and grace. I'm fairly certain that the choices we make help define how people perceive us. Richard Sherman made a choice about what to say and how to say it and there are now people that have certain perceptions about his class, grace, sportsmanship, etc. We are each responsible for our choices and if we are so naive to not know how the choices we as individuals make impact others perceptions of us, be it in a classroom, field of play, or office environment then we're not very smart or savvy about the nuances of how people form and maintain relationship of every kind regardless of what the book learning says. The guy has a right to say what he wants, however he wants to say it....it's odd that people don't understand that the choices he made about how to express himself will influences people perception of him, rightly or wrongly. This is life, not racism.

For me he made a poor choice and if you don't have any other reference points to his character that's going to inform your opinion of the individual. I'm not a fan of people that self-promote, be it on the field of play or at the office or any other venue. We all know the dude that gives you his resume every time you talk to him, that guy is a , just like the name dropper at a party and for me the trash talking athlete regardless of race.

I will edit this with a note that I realize the definition of class and grace may very well be different for every person on this board and I don't presume that my definition is right for anyone other than me.

Dude, he talked some trash with a reporter in the heat of a moment.

He didn't kidnap your first born, a little perspective please.

Reaction Score
I don't know? Does having class and conducting yourself professionally have anything to do with "thuggish behavior"? I never used that terminology.

Jimmy - I'm not necessarily going after you on this, because I don't recall how you deal with all of the other situations on this board. I'm speaking in general.

Reaction Score
Dude, he talked some trash with a reporter in the heat of a moment.

He didn't kidnap your first born, a little perspective please.

Heat of the moment my ass the niners called two time outs after the play. I'm not going to relax, when people start to throw around the word racism carelessly and even worse the intonation that if somehow you don't approve of the behavior it racially motivated. That's painting with a pretty big brush.

You can relax about that, not me, sorry. It's a joke that people don't understand that what you do and how you do it influences other perceptions. Maybe you don't understand that principle.

Reaction Score
Heat of the moment my ass the niners called two time outs after the play. I'm not going to relax, when people start to throw around the word racism carelessly and even worse the intonation that if somehow you don't approve of the behavior it racially motivated. That's painting with a pretty big ing brush.

You can relax about that, not me, sorry. It's a joke that people don't understand that what you do and how you do it influences other perceptions. Maybe you don't understand that principle.

I think everyone understands that people are viewed through a lens of their actions.

I think some people don't care for what he did and their disdain isn't racially motivated.

So the disdain for the behavior isn't necessarily racially motivated as it relates to any individual person, but if you ignore the racial overtones on this (meaning ignoring all of the things said on Twitter, etc) then I'm not sure what to say. To many people, this is just another example of why black people are terrible. And I'm sure that "thug" will NOT be the #1 word to describe Justin Bieber's DUI arrest...even though by all accounts he is far more of a thug than Sherman has ever been.

Reaction Score
Heat of the moment my ass the niners called two time outs after the play. I'm not going to relax, when people start to throw around the word racism carelessly and even worse the intonation that if somehow you don't approve of the behavior it racially motivated. That's painting with a pretty big ing brush.

Oh please. From reading your post you described the gravity of a purported offense that was akin to some sort of high crime.

In the heat of the moment he talked trash, he didn't steal your car and crash it into an orphanage.

Get over yourself.

Reaction Score

I don't understand this.

I was pissed off at McCombs in the fall, because he's one of the few upperclassmen on the offensive side of the ball that was (and is) in position to be a real team leader for this program, and he was f----king it all up with his showboating. All I'll say about his off-field behavior is that he keeps getting caught doing things he shouldn't be doing, and that's not good. But my anger in the fall, had nothing to do with his off field behavior. THis Sherman thing happened off the field.

I wasn't mad at the McCombs showboating itself, I was mad at the complete lack of leadership on the team on the field. I don't have a problem with showboating on the field - I do have a problem with showboating when it's not being backed up by winning and kicking ass. The game is a mental battle of wills and talking and your bravado and attitude can be a huge part of waging that mental battle and winning it, for any player that chooses to use it - IF you as individual, and more importantly your team, can back it up. If not, it's going to blow up in your face.

I've been clear here in this discussion that there is a big difference between college football and professional football. To me, professional football is pure entertainment business.

College football has really been muddied up at the highest level by television, and now with Disney entertainment running ESPN and owning everything....but I'm old school, and I believe that athletics and academics together are integral to fulfilling the mission of a higher education institution, and college football in it's purest sense, is the ultimate game to teach lessons to boys about becoming men. IN that respect, I do, expect football players at UCONN, when in the public, in front of cameras, to be representing themselves in a way that reflects well upon their own character, and reflects well on the university they represent. For the most part, UCONN has very consistent in producing men through football like that, for decades. It's unrealistic to expect a 100% success rate, but for the most part.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think I'd characterize Sherman's behavior as "off-field"...it wasn't "in-game" but it was in uniform, on the actual field, seconds after a game.

My point is that the thread is titled "me over team"...which clearly isn't how Sherman operates if you bother to look at anything aside from this particular 10 second video clip. And I'm just curious how many of those that were vilifying Sherman for "me first" behavior were on your case for getting on McCombs for "me first" behavior - showboating on a losing squad. You took a lot of heat for that.

My overriding point is that the BY is full of classless behavior and pointed vitriol, and people will just line up and take a stance on issues while pretending they don't have any personal biases. We aren't going to solve the issue of Sherman, because people just believe what they want to. They like him or hate him, like the behavior or hate it, and for many it is clouded by how people feel about the Seahawks v. their favorite team, or how they feel about loud black guys with dreadlocks, or any number of other issues.

If I had the time to go back through everything, I'd probably find posters that both think Sherman is the anti-deity (non-denominational of course) and think we should have hired Bobby Petrino.

Reaction Score
I don't think I'd characterize Sherman's behavior as "off-field"...it wasn't "in-game" but it was in uniform, on the actual field, seconds after a game.

My point is that the thread is titled "me over team"...which clearly isn't how Sherman operates if you bother to look at anything aside from this particular 10 second video clip. And I'm just curious how many of those that were vilifying Sherman for "me first" behavior were on your case for getting on McCombs for "me first" behavior - showboating on a losing squad. You took a lot of heat for that.

My overriding point is that the BY is full of classless behavior and pointed vitriol, and people will just line up and take a stance on issues while pretending they don't have any personal biases. We aren't going to solve the issue of Sherman, because people just believe what they want to. They like him or hate him, like the behavior or hate it, and for many it is clouded by how people feel about the Seahawks v. their favorite team, or how they feel about loud black guys with dreadlocks, or any number of other issues.

If I had the time to go back through everything, I'd probably find posters that both think Sherman is the anti-deity (non-denominational of course) and think we should have hired Bobby Petrino.

GDamnit I keep getting dragged back into this.

But you talk as though the "me first" critics are wrong. Sherman himself said his biggest regret was taking away from what his teammates accomplished. And if you want to give him a break for his rant on the field immediately after the game, fine. But again, he went to the locker room, showered, dressed, and went in front of the podium in full self promote mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom