OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NFL is entertainment business. Much different than college football. (in theory).........college football is about competing and building men, and we're back to that now at UCONN......

but Sherman is entertaining, and that Seattle / San Fran was about has hard hitting and violent a game as you can have with the current competition rules. Guy was fired up in his post game interview - he's going to the superbowl, and if I could, I'd like to play D with him.

Reaction Score
I dunno, I saw him again today making his post game statement about Crabtree being mediocre. The guy is very animated and the fact that he was so totally serious made me laugh again. I think he's a hoot.

Reaction Score
Merrill Hoge just nailed it. Some may find him entertaining, but the bottom line is the guy is an egotistical who has no class.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Merril Hoge is a himself, so I guess he would know. I don't see the big deal. The interview came minutes after the play that sent his team to the SB and against a player that has talked smack to and about Sherman. He is the easy target, but Crabtree invited the whole scenario. It's football, not golf (although I'd love to see Phil say this about an opposing golfer :) )

Reaction Score
Merrill Hoge just nailed it. Some may find him entertaining, but the bottom line is the guy is an egotistical who has no class.
That's the bottom line for you. I think the bottom line for a lot of people is that he is a football player, not a fortune 500 CEO. He's not out there playing dirty and trying to injure people and he made what is usually a boring canned response interview a little more interesting (plus he went after a receiver who is known to run his mouth off constantly). The amount of people getting this worked up about what he said is comical to me (and he is a bit of a ).

Reaction Score
Merril Hoge is a himself, so I guess he would know. I don't see the big deal. The interview came minutes after the play that sent his team to the SB and against a player that has talked smack to and about Sherman. He is the easy target, but Crabtree invited the whole scenario. It's football, not golf (although I'd love to see Phil say this about an opposing golfer :) )

Who cares if Hoge is a ? People are acting like this is some kind of isolated incident.

Reaction Score
That's the bottom line for you. I think the bottom line for a lot of people is that he is a football player, not a fortune 500 CEO. He's not out there playing dirty and trying to injure people and he made what is usually a boring canned response interview a little more interesting (plus he went after a receiver who is known to run his mouth off constantly). The amount of people getting this worked up about what he said is comical to me (and he is a bit of a ).

That's bizarre. What does not having class have to do with one's profession?

Reaction Score
I want to see Sherman get a pick 6 from Manning in the Super Bowl.

which makes me think, the reality of that game in Giants Stadium on Feb. 2nd is getting close. The Bronco's better hope for some unseasonable weather, because the only weakness Manning has, is that he's 37 years old and just played another full NFL season.

If we get a night with freezing rain, or a 0-5 degree ice box with wind or something.......Seattle is going to coast. No hiding father time, and defensive lineman are easy compared to being old, beat up, and achy in the freezing cold.

I will be watching that game from the comfort of my home. I can understand diehard San Fran and Seattle fans being in that stadium that night, but for the prices that super bowl tickets go for, I simply can't get over that this game is being played outdoors in New Jersey in February.

Can you imagine being a neutral fan and having shelled out 4 or 5 figures to sit in an freezing rain, or 5 degree weather for four + hours? Yikes.

Reaction Score
That's bizarre. What does not having class have to do with one's profession?

It's entertainment and that interview was certainly a heck of a lot more entertaining than him coming up and giving some BS canned response about how Crabtree is a wonderful competitor and he just went out and made a play. This is a profession where even a lot of the nice guys are trash talking on the field and his vitriol was directed at a player and team known for going over the top in their's. I think it's just as bizarre that this sticks in your craw so much.

Reaction Score
It's entertainment and that interview was certainly a heck of a lot more entertaining than him coming up and giving some BS canned response about how Crabtree is a wonderful competitor and he just went out and made a play. This is a profession where even a lot of the nice guys are trash talking on the field and his vitriol was directed at a player and team known for going over the top in their's. I think it's just as bizarre that this sticks in your craw so much.

What makes you think it sticks in my craw so much? I've made comments that I think the guy is a clown and has no class. If I cared so much I wouldn't comment at all. This is what he craves, the attention. I guess entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. This is the NFL, not the WWE.

Reaction Score
What makes you think it sticks in my craw so much? I've made comments that I think the guy is a clown and has no class. If I cared so much I wouldn't comment at all. This is what he craves, the attention. I guess entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. This is the NFL, not the WWE.

Forgive me if I overstep, but I think you're probably looking at this through the lenses of a college football fan - specifically a UCONN football fan. We don't want our players behaving that way, and I'd agree. Bravado, trash talking, that's fine, on the field - if you can back it up, but when you're in front of the cameras, talking, etc. represent yourself and your university with class and dignity....right?

In that light, if one of our CB's did that in front of the camera after a game, even if we just destroyed somebody in bowl game for a title....NOT ok.

But it's the NFL, Jimmy, and you're wrong, it's very much the WWF, entertainment value, steroids supplements and all, television spectacle, ticket sales, money..... AND it's more than the WWF, it's actual real physical contact in competition.

Reaction Score
First, we would do well to remember that young impressionable kids watch this crap and emulate it. Second, I suggest he spend some time on patrol in Afghanistan...then we can see just how bad he is. Football, while the greatest game ever put on the earth, is still a kid's game, and these punk 15 minutes of fame seekers have zero in common with real courage or manhood. He defended and knocked away a football. Try defending against an ambush with RPGs coming in. I'd bet he'd be pissing and crapping his pants.

Reaction Score
First, we would do well to remember that young impressionable kids watch this crap and emulate it. Second, I suggest he spend some time on patrol in Afghanistan...then we can see just how bad he is. Football, while the greatest game ever put on the earth, is still a kid's game, and these punk 15 minutes of fame seekers have zero in common with real courage or manhood. He defended and knocked away a football. Try defending against an ambush with RPGs coming in. I'd bet he'd be pissing and crapping his pants.

Ummmm, what? You're the one comparing him with soldiers, not him or anyone else. Not sure how relevant this Toby Keith-esque rant is to the situation we're talking about. It's trash talk. He's not proclaiming himself the toughest man on earth, just the best CB, which he is. I'm also not sure where the 15 minutes of fame comment comes from as he is a superstar NFL player on a very popular team. He has way more than 15 minutes to deal with.

Reaction Score

This is only a problem, if those impressional young kids watching this crap don't have a decent authority figure present to set things straight. You're not wrong, but the simple answer is that if daddy (or mommy) is around and has good values - that impressionable kid, is going to emulate mommy or daddy before they emulate Sherman.

Too many people blaming everybody but the parents for what kids do.

Reaction Score
Richard Sherman came off as "angry black man" a couple minutes after making the biggest play of his life and America apparently can't handle the passion and bravado.

Fox must have edited the part of the interview when he called himself a hero or compared himself to soldiers fighting wars.

Combining strawmen with hyperbole is good recipe to make yourself look foolish.

Reaction Score
Forgive me if I overstep, but I think you're probably looking at this through the lenses of a college football fan - specifically a UCONN football fan. We don't want our players behaving that way, and I'd agree. Bravado, trash talking, that's fine, on the field - if you can back it up, but when you're in front of the cameras, talking, etc. represent yourself and your university with class and dignity....right?

In that light, if one of our CB's did that in front of the camera after a game, even if we just destroyed somebody in bowl game for a title....NOT ok.

But it's the NFL, Jimmy, and you're wrong, it's very much the WWF, entertainment value, steroids supplements and all, television spectacle, ticket sales, money..... AND it's more than the WWF, it's actual real physical contact in competition.

I'm acutely aware of the situation Carl. It's one of the reason I can no longer emotionally invest myself in any pro team. I watch and follow the games because to me the entertainment value is what goes on between the lines. Media whores like Sherman turn me off.

Reaction Score
Richard Sherman came off as "angry black man" a couple minutes after making the biggest play of his life and America apparently can't handle the passion and bravado.

Fox must have edited the part of the interview when he called himself a hero or compared himself to soldiers fighting wars.

Combining strawmen with hyperbole is good recipe to make yourself look foolish.

Utter nonsense. Why did America hate Jeremy Shockey?

Reaction Score
I'm acutely aware of the situation Carl. It's one of the reason I can no longer emotionally invest myself in any pro team. I watch and follow the games because to me the entertainment value is what goes on between the lines. Media whores like Sherman turn me off.

Media whores - the same can be said of the SEC, ACC, Big 13, Big 11, and Pac 12, and it turns me off. I don't think I'll be invested much in them either anymore.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the fact that long after the adrenaline from the game wore off, Sherman praised the team. That short clip with Andrews came minutes after the final play. His blood was still pumping, had been smack talked all game by Crabtree (did his own as well), and they just won thanks to a play he was a big part of. I see no problem with it. I'd love for Sherman to be a CB on my team. The man is a solid corner and had he said all that, in that tone, hours after the game was over, it might be a little different. But the fact alone that the "interview" happened minutes after the game and play ended, makes me just think he was still pumped from the game.

Reaction Score
Utter nonsense. Why did America hate Jeremy Shockey?

Maybe it was the time he called Parcells a "homo".

Or the time he said he didn't want gays around him.

Or the time he made an obscene gesture toward the stands.

Or the time he hit children in the stands with a cup of ice.

You know, all those similar things to what Sherman said last night. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I like the fact he is being called a thug. Thug being the hot codeword in media at this point in time. He graduated high school with a 4.1, graduated STAMFORD, now in a grad program. But in a heat of the moment statement in which he did not use profanity or call anyone a name....he is a thug.

Meanwhile, the NHL can have a major gang war 5 minutes into a game....one that would see one COACH attempt to enter the opposing locker room after the first intermission... haven't read one article about anyone involved being a thug.

Reaction Score
People will play the race card at just about anything. I'll say it again. To introduce race as a factor...........utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom