OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the fact he is being called a thug. Thug being the hot codeword in media at this point in time. He graduated high school with a 4.1, graduated STAMFORD, now in a grad program. But in a heat of the moment statement in which he did not use profanity or call anyone a name....he is a thug.

Meanwhile, the NHL can have a major gang war 5 minutes into a game....one that would see one COACH attempt to enter the opposing locker room after the first intermission... haven't read one article about anyone involved being a thug.

It is such a racially charged term. Rarely have I ever heard it attached with guys like Jared Allen, who are going out there trying to injure people, but this guy who doesn't do that, gets the tag.

Reaction Score
People will play the race card at just about anything. I'll say it again. To introduce race as a factor......utter nonsense.
To say people reacted negatively towards his comments because of race? I agree, ridiculous. To say that the term "Thug" is being used because of race? 100% true.

Reaction Score
I think its kind of funny how in a game where guys were headhunting, fighting, getting in cheap shots, and being chippy as hell, people are furious about the clean player who got excited after the game. Crabtree also kind of deserved it for trying to fight Sherman at a charity event last summer when Sherman went to go shake his hand.

I also think he's very entertaining and it's great that his interviews aren't the same old boring NFL cliches that we hear all the time. He's basically a WWF Wrestler talking smack. He even changed his own nickname to Optimus Prime to psych out Megatron. The NFL is better with players like him and I hope to see more like him.

Also, the dude is actually a really nice guy and this is all just a part of his public persona for the gridiron. He's also a very eloquent person and I love reading and hearing anything he says. Here's a small part of his response to all the backlash that he's received from the public. I encourage everyone to read the whole thing, because there's more than what I'm quoting here. You'll see that his attitude isn't "me over team" at all, like the topic subject suggests.

Richard Sherman said:
It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.

One thing I can’t accept is what I read after the game about Seahawks fans throwing food at 49ers linebacker Navorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field with his knee injury. If it’s true, it’s beyond terrible. That’s as low as it gets. I’m sure whoever did this is in a small minority of fans, because I don’t think that kind of action is an accurate representation of the character of the 12th man. Navorro Bowman is a great player who plays the game the right way. When he went down, I dropped to a knee and prayed for him. He deserves better than having food thrown at him as he’s carted off a field. All players deserve better than that.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

Reaction Score
Also, this is pretty amusing, not sure if you all have seen it yet, but Richard Sherman goes to Bourbon Street during the super bowl last year and asks fans who they think is a better cornerback - him or Revis. Then he introduces himself to the fans at the end after talking with them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-best-shut-down-cornerback-on-bourbon-street

And the interview on First Take where he trashes Skip Bayless.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I like the fact he is being called a thug. Thug being the hot codeword in media at this point in time. He graduated high school with a 4.1, graduated STAMFORD, now in a grad program. But in a heat of the moment statement in which he did not use profanity or call anyone a name....he is a thug.

Meanwhile, the NHL can have a major gang war 5 minutes into a game....one that would see one COACH attempt to enter the opposing locker room after the first intermission... haven't read one article about anyone involved being a thug.

He had a 3.9 GPA and a 1060 SAT to get into Stanford (Stamford is not a college although Samford is)

Reaction Score
Jax Husky said:
He had a 3.9 GPA and a 1060 SAT to get into Stanford (Stamford is not a college although Samford is)

Yep. He was also Salutatorian/second in his high school graduating class.

Reaction Score
Sherman is great, all the Apologists want Randy bots. Got it.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is we're all talking about him, He'll have the biggest media contingent at the Super Bowl. There are lots of very good players who remain unknown. Some seek the anonymity--others can't garner the attention. Richard Sherman is Miley Cyrus with cleats.

That would actually make sense if Miley Cyrus was actually as talented a singer as Richard Sherman is at being a CB.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I hate Sherman. Not for anything he said but because he ruined my Niners Super Bowl dreams. Rat bastard!

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano must've thrown a hissy fit when Khalid jumped on the scorer's table at Pitt.

As a matter of fact I did.

And referencing the fringe extreme who make racist remarks on twitter doesn't mean the whole world is racist.

I admit I'm old school and hate this crap. But it doesn't matter what color they are. I hate Shockey and Laettner for the same reason. Bird and Jordan were the greatest trash talkers of all time. But you never saw it.

If you guys find this crap entertaining and funny all the power to you. To each his own. But what Sherman did (and has a history of, btw) showed no class or professionalism at all.

Reaction Score
Sherman should be glad this was the NFL and not college football or possibly the NFL next year. College football does not consider Taunting dead play foul and it negates the play itself. The NFL may make the same change next year, especially after that Golden Tate touchdown against St. Louis (Seattle again, classy organization there, Carroll, glad he brought some USC to the Emerald City).
By the way, shouldn't Sherman have been flagged for 2 taunting calls on the same play? First, for slapping & jawing with Crabtree and then a few seconds later running over to the 49's slideline, primarily Kaep, and flashing the 'choke' sign, which is specifically banned by the NFL? Seattle intercepts the ball in the End Zone and gets the ball at the 20. Throw a pair of 15 yard penalties on that and Seattle is back in the end zone. Safety. Seattle punts and the Niners get the ball back around midfield down by 4, about 30 seconds left, 2 time outs, and Sherman likely booted for back-to-back personal fouls. Possible SF could have won.
That would have shut Sherman up.
But, of course, the refs had no stones for any call like that, especially after botching Bowman’s fumble recovery and the ‘running’ into the punter call even though the rulebook clearly states that any contact with the punter’s plant leg is automatically a ‘roughing’ the punter penalty with a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.
My son, who is 7 did laugh at what Sherman did. I explained as his coach that if he every displayed such poor sportsmanship in a game (I coach his baseball and soccer teams) that his run/score would have been wiped-off and he would have been ejected/red carded. I then added as his father, he would be lucky to play again that season. Lesson learned, I hope.

Reaction Score
I like that you stick to your guns Jimmy. We disagree on this matter. Isn't going to change. I think that when it comes to "professionalism" in sports, there is a little more room for behaviour than what you give. Professional football - is entertainment business though, on that I think we agree. They are not Roman gladiators, but they are as close as possible to the modern equivalent. The people in the arena in Seattle, and the millions that watched on TV, did not watch and tune in, to see and listen to a monotone book report and kissing butterflies. Was that not what you tuned in to see?

If so, and you think that kind of thing has no business on TV, then I suggest the solution is for the idiot reporters to stay away from the players until after they've gone to the locker room and showered and cleaned up and the adrenaline has settled down, rather than expecting the player in that environemtn to do something different, and I've already conceded that the college environment is a totally different scenario, with different expectations from players. So - I guess you were not entertained. I was.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I want to see Sherman get a pick 6 from Manning in the Super Bowl.

which makes me think, the reality of that game in Giants Stadium on Feb. 2nd is getting close. The Bronco's better hope for some unseasonable weather, because the only weakness Manning has, is that he's 37 years old and just played another full NFL season.

If we get a night with freezing rain, or a 0-5 degree ice box with wind or something..Seattle is going to coast. No hiding father time, and defensive lineman are easy compared to being old, beat up, and achy in the freezing cold.

I will be watching that game from the comfort of my home. I can understand diehard San Fran and Seattle fans being in that stadium that night, but for the prices that super bowl tickets go for, I simply can't get over that this game is being played outdoors in New Jersey in February.

Can you imagine being a neutral fan and having shelled out 4 or 5 figures to sit in an freezing rain, or 5 degree weather for four + hours? Yikes.

?

It's not like you don't know the place and date of the game when you buy a ticket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sherman is great, all the Apologists want Randy bots. Got it.

One apologist loves Sherman. Guy is extremely bright and very interesting.

Not sure why anyone would want Derek Jeter clones who never make an honest comment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sherman should be glad this was the NFL and not college football or possibly the NFL next year. College football does not consider Taunting dead play foul and it negates the play itself. The NFL may make the same change next year, especially after that Golden Tate touchdown against St. Louis (Seattle again, classy organization there, Carroll, glad he brought some USC to the Emerald City).
By the way, shouldn't Sherman have been flagged for 2 taunting calls on the same play? First, for slapping & jawing with Crabtree and then a few seconds later running over to the 49's slideline, primarily Kaep, and flashing the 'choke' sign, which is specifically banned by the NFL? Seattle intercepts the ball in the End Zone and gets the ball at the 20. Throw a pair of 15 yard penalties on that and Seattle is back in the end zone. Safety. Seattle punts and the Niners get the ball back around midfield down by 4, about 30 seconds left, 2 time outs, and Sherman likely booted for back-to-back personal fouls. Possible SF could have won.
But, of course, the refs had no stones for any call like that, especially after botching Bowman’s fumble recovery and the ‘running’ into the punter call even though the rulebook clearly states that any contact with the punter’s plant leg is automatically a ‘roughing’ the punter penalty with a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.
My son, who is 7 did laugh at what Sherman did. I explained as his coach that if he every displayed such poor sportsmanship in a game (I coach his baseball and soccer teams) that his run/score would have been wiped-off and he would have been ejected/red carded. I then added as his father, he would be lucky to play again that season. Lesson learned, I hope.

The penalties would be half the distance to the goalline... That's quite a safety you've conjured up.

Reaction Score
?

It's not like you don't know the place and date of the game when you buy a ticket.

whenever you start with comments like these, I'm always reminded of the Kentucky Fried Movie, and I mean this as a compliment. Point Counter Point. For you to really come back with this - all I can say is why whaler - you old stick in the mud, why don't you just sit on this...... :)

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Sherman should be glad this was the NFL and not college football or possibly the NFL next year. College football does not consider Taunting dead play foul and it negates the play itself. The NFL may make the same change next year, especially after that Golden Tate touchdown against St. Louis (Seattle again, classy organization there, Carroll, glad he brought some USC to the Emerald City). By the way, shouldn't Sherman have been flagged for 2 taunting calls on the same play? First, for slapping & jawing with Crabtree and then a few seconds later running over to the 49's slideline, primarily Kaep, and flashing the 'choke' sign, which is specifically banned by the NFL? Seattle intercepts the ball in the End Zone and gets the ball at the 20. Throw a pair of 15 yard penalties on that and Seattle is back in the end zone. Safety. Seattle punts and the Niners get the ball back around midfield down by 4, about 30 seconds left, 2 time outs, and Sherman likely booted for back-to-back personal fouls. Possible SF could have won. That would have shut Sherman up. But, of course, the refs had no stones for any call like that, especially after botching Bowman’s fumble recovery and the ‘running’ into the punter call even though the rulebook clearly states that any contact with the punter’s plant leg is automatically a ‘roughing’ the punter penalty with a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down. My son, who is 7 did laugh at what Sherman did. I explained as his coach that if he every displayed such poor sportsmanship in a game (I coach his baseball and soccer teams) that his run/score would have been wiped-off and he would have been ejected/red carded. I then added as his father, he would be lucky to play again that season. Lesson learned, I hope.

Lol. I like this delusional fanfiction you've written.

Reaction Score

U Mad Bro

Reaction Score
I loved Sherman.

People forget Crabtree and Boldin talking trash all game and celebrating each catch.

Also , she has him a very specific question about that single play. She didn't ask how it feels to go to the Super Bowl or any team stuff.

The dude just made a great 1-1 play to send his team to the Super Bowl and has a mic in his face 3 minutes later

Reaction Score
One apologist loves Sherman. Guy is extremely bright and very interesting.

Not sure why anyone would want Derek Jeter clones who never make an honest comment.

We need a handful of Shermans. Not everybody can pull it off as well as he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom