OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Shermans of the game along with the fact that watching an NFL is easily confused with an episode of Dancing With The Stars, is the reason I have a problem watching very much pro football at all.

Reaction Score
The penalties would be half the distance to the goalline... That's quite a safety you've conjured up.

Thanks. I was not sure if a pair of personal foul calls would apply as 15 yards and then half-way or the full thirty yards.

As for being upset, the interview did not bother me too much as I thought it was foolish to interview a guy right after such a play. As for being mad, I was in that my son now thinks it's cool/funny to trash talk folks. At least college and high school sports got that right. Invalidating the play really cuts down on that kind of stuff. I benched an 8 year old on my soccer team last fall when he scored a goal and then got in the keeper's and a defenders face yelling 'you can't stop me.' Luckily, his parents (and the league rules) supported my decision. He apologized the next practice and played great and showed respect the rest of the season. Lesson learned. Sherman doing what he did will likely mean I will have to do that again at least once next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks. I was not sure if a pair of personal foul calls would apply as 15 yards and then half-way or the full thirty yards.

As for being upset, the interview did not bother me too much as I thought it was foolish to interview a guy right after such a play. As for being mad, I was in that my son now thinks it's cool/funny to trash talk folks. At least college and high school sports got that right. Invalidating the play really cuts down on that kind of stuff. I benched a 8 year old on my soccer team last fall when I scored a goal and then got in the keeper's and a defenders face yelling 'you can't stop me.' Luckily, his parents (and the league rules) supported my decision. He apologized the next practice and played great and showed respect the rest of the season. Lesson learned. Sherman doing what he did will likely mean I will have to do that again at least once next season.

And thank god for real life authority figures that can teach small children not to emulate everything they see on TV.

Reaction Score
I like that you stick to your guns Jimmy. We disagree on this matter. Isn't going to change. I think that when it comes to "professionalism" in sports, there is a little more room for behaviour than what you give. Professional football - is entertainment business though, on that I think we agree. They are not Roman gladiators, but they are as close as possible to the modern equivalent. The people in the arena in Seattle, and the millions that watched on TV, did not watch and tune in, to see and listen to a monotone book report and kissing butterflies. Was that not what you tuned in to see?

If so, and you think that kind of thing has no business on TV, then I suggest the solution is for the idiot reporters to stay away from the players until after they've gone to the locker room and showered and cleaned up and the adrenaline has settled down, rather than expecting the player in that environemtn to do something different, and I've already conceded that the college environment is a totally different scenario, with different expectations from players. So - I guess you were not entertained. I was.

You know what's funny? I'm not convinced that anyone really disagrees with me at all. Where we differ is you were entertained, and I was not.

Does anyone really think Sherman exhibited class? After he showered, put on a nice suit, and continued to disparage and self promote at the podium? Sherman himself agrees with me. He said so on SVP radio show yesterday.

Look, he's a bright guy. He knows exactly what he's doing in creating this persona. It's like a WWE wrestler trying to get over with the audience by creating a unique gimmick. He's done it successfully.

I loved watching that game. Hard hitting, intense, and yes.....along with that comes trash talking on the field. But when the battle is over it's different for me personally. I'm watching competitive sports, not some daytime soap opera with all of these idiotic storylines.

Reaction Score
One apologist loves Sherman. Guy is extremely bright and very interesting.

Not sure why anyone would want Derek Jeter clones who never make an honest comment.

Absolutely.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-saul/what-richard-sherman-taught-us_b_4631980.html (great article)

(watch this video and see if you think he is a common thug)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...drews-on-richard-sherman-interview-i-loved-it (Erin Andrews loved the interview)

Normally I'm one to dislike guys like this, but the more I learn about Sherman the more I like him.

BTW - trash talking has been around since the OLD days...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiLCJxpqi4

If he didn't have dreads and he said exactly the same thing with a wink and a smile nobody would have any problem with it (ala Jordan).

Reaction Score
I think he is a smart, competitive dude who gets a bit mouthy. Jim Rome had an SI reporter on today that said he was a total paradox. Like a complete opposite of a thug. In high school he was obsessed with getting good grades. He said that he uses his trash talking as self motivation. I think he is an interesting athlete to say the least.

Reaction Score
I think he is an interesting athlete to say the least.

Interesting is the operative word. I once listened to Joe Montana answering questions and commenting during a game. Great QB but horrible at being interesting. Sherman is now must see TV. He'll be parlaying all of this into a lucrative post football career. Now, just imagine if he takes back a pick six against Peyton in the Super Bowl.

Watch him playfully interviewing folks on Bourbon St.--- Pretty darn interesting, isn't he?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4pFkwOPrk5Y?autoplay=1

Reaction Score
Interesting is the operative word. I once listened to Joe Montana answering questions and commenting during a game. Great QB but horrible at being interesting. Sherman is now must see TV. He'll be parlaying all of this into a lucrative post football career. Now, just imagine if he takes back a pick six against Peyton in the Super Bowl.

Watch him playfully interviewing folks on Bourbon St.--- Pretty darn interesting, isn't he?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4pFkwOPrk5Y?autoplay=1

You know what I find interesting? He was recruited by Pete Carroll to play CB, but he wanted to play WR. Harbaugh offers him as a WR and buries him in the depth chart until he relents and plays corner.

Now he plays for Carroll and he knocked Harbaugh out of the playoffs.

He grew up in a 5 br house in Watts that was a neighborhood refuge from gang violence. His Dad rewarded him with cash for good grades. His Dad was a garbage man who lost sight in one eye due to gang violence.

That's interesting. And the clip was pretty funny. All those fans sound like idiots.

Reaction Score

I don't know why you guys continue to defend him when the man himself said he regretted his actions. Alligator Arms Crabtree is a and I don't feel any sympathy for him at all. But this was all pre-meditated by Sherman. He told Seahawks personnel that he was going to rip Crabtree in interviews. This is all part of some big act. The guy is brilliant. You all bought it.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys continue to defend him when the man himself said he regretted his actions. Alligator Arms Crabtree is a and I don't feel any sympathy for him at all. But this was all pre-meditated by Sherman. He told Seahawks personnel that he was going to rip Crabtree in interviews. This is all part of some big act. The guy is brilliant. You all bought it.

Please just get off your high-horse and stop acting so morally superior. We didn't fall for anything. We just happen to think it was entertaining. I think everyone pretty much knows this is his persona, it isn't some news that you're breaking for the first time.

Reaction Score
Jimmy just thinks Sherman should just execute, use better eye discipline and take his name off the back of his jersey.

Reaction Score
Please just get off your high-horse and stop acting so morally superior. We didn't fall for anything. We just happen to think it was entertaining. I think everyone pretty much knows this is his persona, it isn't some news that you're breaking for the first time.

Morally superior.....LOL relax. It's an internet message board. We're all arguing and breaking stones.

Reaction Score
Morally superior.....LOL relax. It's an internet message board. We're all arguing and breaking stones.
I don't know man, coming out and acting like we've all been duped, but you were smart enough through it seems a little classless to me. You should really know better. You didn't find it entertaining, we did. It doesn't mean we were fooled, it just means we have different opinions.

Reaction Score
I don't know man, coming out and acting like we've all been duped, but you were smart enough through it seems a little classless to me. You should really know better. You didn't find it entertaining, we did. It doesn't mean we were fooled, it just means we have different opinions.

You really need to chill. People implied that if you didn't like Sherman's rant you were a racist.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sherman about one thing: When people call young black men "thugs," it seems to be a new way for people to get around using the N word. I never seem to hear the word with reference to white people.

Sherman was caught up in the moment. Athletes get pretty amped up and say pretty regrettable things. But I do think he absolutely has a point about the word thug. It's pretty interesting.

Reaction Score
You really need to chill. People implied that if you didn't like Sherman's rant you were a racist.
Don't tell me to chill, I'm perfectly fine. I just don't like condescending people, regardless of whether it's on a message board or online. And one person implied the racist bit, and that was not me. What this guy said obviously really bothered you. I'm not sure why, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score

If I knew a guy was a flaming douchenozzle and he continued to excel in his ability to be a flaming douchenozzle, I would have no problem planning to let the whole world know about it and then go ahead and do it on national television. The truth ain't always pretty. And Crabtree is a pretty mediocre receiver.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sherman about one thing: When people call young black men "thugs," it seems to be a new way for people to get around using the N word. I never seem to hear the word with reference to white people.

Sherman was caught up in the moment. Athletes get pretty amped up and say pretty regrettable things. But I do think he absolutely has a point about the word thug. It's pretty interesting.

Absolutely. We have a horrible knack of using these terms very racially. Blue collar player/high motor = white, freak athlete = black. The funniest example for me is JJ Watt. Almost every broadcaster just talks about his motor and ignores the fact that at 290 lbs, he was top 3 for DL in almost every combine event.

Reaction Score
Don't tell me to chill, I'm perfectly fine. I just don't like condescending people, regardless of whether it's on a message board or online. And one person implied the racist bit, and that was not me. What this guy said obviously really bothered you. I'm not sure why, but it is what it is.

I guess I'll have to live with you not liking me too much. I just don't know how I'll sleep tonight.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of people thinking he planned this. As if he thought to himself "I'm gonna make a game saving play, hunt down Erin Andrews, force her to interview me, and then make myself the story, so that I can get more press attention in a week and a half during media day".

Janet's wardrobe malfunction was planned, this was a guy caught up in the heat of the moment. The people quick to judge, quick to criticize, and unwilling to temper their disgust and consider there is more going on than what they saw on TV, aren't exhibiting any class, and are not how I would want my children to behave. Whether their disgust is based on bigotry or not.

And yes, "thug" is reserved for black guys. Which is why white hockey players (a redundant term 99% of the time) are called "goons".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom