OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know what I think?

I think Wes Welker better grow some eyes on the back of his head. This is going to be an entertaining super bowl. I just still feel bad for the people that are shelling out so much money to sit in that stadium if they're not dedicated hawks or broncs fans. It didn't get above 10 degrees out all day today.

I'm going to exercise some discipline and stop writing in this discussion now.

Reaction Score
I understand all the sociological analysis that is enveloping the Sherman ouburst and our collective reaction to it but lets not lose sight of something. There are very, very few football players who have the bravado or charisma to carry off the outragous. Most players are quiet, anonymous warriors. Most of them are unknown to the viewers. As a friend once said--"you end up actually cheering for the laundry--for the uniforms and helmets-- and your city's team". I dare say few of us could name the starting defensive backfield of most teams--but everyone knew who Deion Sanders was. He was also brash and egocentric. But so what. Without Sanders and Sherman and a very few others this would be a boring enterprise. And its always good to have a measuring stick to debate what is and isn't considered over the top conduct. I like Sherman a lot. He's both interesting and interested in how his persona comes across to others. I believe his outburst will eventually be viewed as having opened the door to a bigger conversation and widened our perspective about some of these guys behind the facemasks. Some of them will surprise you and it's mostly all good.

Reaction Score
GDamnit I keep getting dragged back into this.

But you talk as though the "me first" critics are wrong. Sherman himself said his biggest regret was taking away from what his teammates accomplished. And if you want to give him a break for his rant on the field immediately after the game, fine. But again, he went to the locker room, showered, dressed, and went in front of the podium in full self promote mode.

I didn't see what he did at the podium after he showered. But he also went on the stage during the trophy presentation and talked about the team, the offense, etc. But that doesn't fit into everyone's narrative, so it gets forgotten.

Reaction Score
I didn't see what he did at the podium after he showered. But he also went on the stage during the trophy presentation and talked about the team, the offense, etc. But that doesn't fit into everyone's narrative, so it gets forgotten.

You should really check out the comments he made in that presser.

Reaction Score
You should really check out the comments he made in that presser.

I will. It may change my mind as to what he did that day. Regardless of that - by all accounts he is not a menace or danger to society or the general public (which cannot be said about a lot of other pro athletes) which is really how I judge him as a person. I'm of the mind that people can do what they want and be whoever they want to be as long as they aren't hurting anyone else in the process. And I know that people look up to sports figures / entertainers / etc and we want them to be role models...but that cat is so far out of the bag it isn't worth debating.

Reaction Score
"Hey, if I put a word in front of the word thug which refers to a predominantly Anglo Saxon sport, it shows that there are white thugs! Point proven!"

Uhhhhhh. Yeah.

Reaction Score
I will. It may change my mind as to what he did that day. Regardless of that - by all accounts he is not a menace or danger to society or the general public (which cannot be said about a lot of other pro athletes) which is really how I judge him as a person. I'm of the mind that people can do what they want and be whoever they want to be as long as they aren't hurting anyone else in the process. And I know that people look up to sports figures / entertainers / etc and we want them to be role models...but that cat is so far out of the bag it isn't worth debating.

This is what I don't get. Not one person in this thread said he was a menace or danger to society.

Reaction Score
But they're all white European soccer fans. And all those white hockey "thugs". I thought that was the new N-word?

It's the first word people use to denigrate a black man safely in our culture. It's context. If you put adjectives in front of it, you're going to get different results.

Sherman is an elite college-educated, very well paid professional/famous person who happened to have talked some . So did Alec Baldwin to his own daughter. Yet for some reason only Sherman's a thug.

Don't you find that a little odd?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is what I don't get. Not one person in this thread said he was a menace or danger to society.

Then how can people get so angry about it?

If you watch the link I just posted, his post game presser was entertaining, professional and deferential to his teammates and to the 49ers. If you want me to watch something else, post the link.

Reaction Score
Then how can people get so angry about it?

If you watch the link I just posted, his post game presser was entertaining, professional and deferential to his teammates and to the 49ers. If you want me to watch something else, post the link.

When I have time I will post the video. I'm talking about the one where he goes off on Crabtree for being mediocre. He's wearing a suit with a bowtie.

Angry? I don't know. I think the discussion and the implications from others upset me more than what Sherman said. I stand by my comments that what he said was classless, selfish, and unprofessional.

Why we're talking about this.......what else is going on?

Reaction Score
Ok - I'm breaking silence for a second because I think I figured out the problem and I think it needs to be shared.

There are three truths in the world.

The most famous, Is never get involved in a land war in Asia. Slightly less known is to never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Right behind that, is never enter a discussion on the boneyard beyond page 1 with the intend to discuss anything to do with the thread title. :)

Reaction Score
When I have time I will post the video. I'm talking about the one where he goes off on Crabtree for being mediocre. He's wearing a suit with a bowtie.

Angry? I don't know. I think the discussion and the implications from others upset me more than what Sherman said. I stand by my comments that what he said was classless, selfish, and unprofessional.

Why we're talking about this..what else is going on?

The clip I posted is 8.5 minutes long, and he is wearing a bowtie. I think it is the whole interview - start to finish. He doesn't go off on Crabtree at all.

(there is nothing else going on)

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Sherman reminds people that they will never be close to as good at anything as he is at his job. Everyone wishes they were as talented, successful, and confident as he is. Those with weak minds, and there are many, just can't handle having their inadequacy thrown in their faces, and most likely never heard of the whole back story between him and Crabtree.

Reaction Score
Sherman reminds people that they will never be close to as good at anything as he is at his job. Everyone wishes they were as talented, successful, and confident as he is. Those with weak minds, and there are many, just can't handle having their inadequacy thrown in their faces, and most likely never heard of the whole back story between him and Crabtree.

Weak minded people denigrate others for their religious beliefs. Wouldn't you agree?

Reaction Score
Weak minded people denigrate others for their religious beliefs. Wouldn't you agree?
I respect your take in this thread even though I don't really agree with it. I'm trying to stay out of the conversation, I think it's all been stated to death, and we'll agree to disagree. But....

I logged in just to give you a like for that post.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Depends on how ridiculous and/or harmful the beliefs are, I guess. We all deep down harbor some spiritual belief that deserves a little "denigration," as if criticism of metaphysical guessing can ever be unfair. It comes from our fear of mortality.

F

fortebleedsblue

Son of a b!tch Forte.

I stand corrected. Guy starts the thread and sits back with his popcorn while the rest of us kill each other.

To be honest I haven't checked back since my post and am surprised it is still going. I've been looking at the 2014 recruiting thread non stop. I guess like Sherman I had a post game reaction and I am apparently now a racist. This reminds me why I love reading the boneyard and why I should never post. Time to go back and hide in my cave.

Reaction Score
To be honest I haven't checked back since my post and am surprised it is still going. I've been looking at the 2014 recruiting thread non stop. I guess like Sherman I had a post game reaction and I am apparently now a racist. This reminds me why I love reading the boneyard and why I should never post. Time to go back and hide in my cave.

I don't think you're racist.

Reaction Score
Oh please. From reading your post you described the gravity of a purported offense that was akin to some sort of high crime.

In the heat of the moment he talked trash, he didn't steal your car and crash it into an orphanage.

Get over yourself.[/quote

I don't have to do anything. Maybe I should ask you to try and understand things that are more complex than what cereal to have in the morning. Let me help you out, the conversation within this board and certainly outside of it has moved from a comment you like or didn't into examining how race played or didn't play a role in how people responded. It's a complex issue, mayhe you should sit this one out.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure most of us would call you a racist (that's a really strong word), it's just that we think you probably wouldn't have used the word thug if it was a white guy who had did it. That's not to say it's your fault at all, we're just totally conditioned and used to hearing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom