OT: Pikiell's doing good work | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Pikiell's doing good work

Reaction Score
There are plenty of good coaches who would be thrilled to have the opportunity to coach at UConn and bring it back to the elite level. This notion that UConn can no longer attract a good coach is just plain false.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This notion that UConn can no longer attract a good coach is just plain false.
That's not a notion I am advancing. I am making a very simple point: conference affiliation matters. For someone like Pikiell who is already in a P5 conference, I'd expect that to be a factor. For someone like Hurley, who isn't, that would be one less obstacle.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I would guess that if KO is fired AD David Benedict will go outside the family tree in hiring a new HC. I think it eliminates the chance of "I told you so" if he hires inside the family with the next guy and it doesn't work out. He did bring Edsall back but Edsall had head coaching history at UConn. Also, I think if KO has a winning record this season and the team makes the NCAA or NIT he will be back next year. I think his leash is longer than many people think because of his buyout and because of his asst coach reboot that Chief loves to tout. I think AD David Benedict will give KO another year to see if Chill and Kill can add some highly rated talent.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stain to me in 2016-2017- You're an idiot, Ollie is a great coach.

Stain to me in 2017-2018- Ollie sucks but we should keep him forever even if he can never again get above .500 because Uconn can never again attract someone who is a good basketball coach.

I didn't say we should keep him forever. You're a liar.

Reaction Score
That's not a notion I am advancing. I am making a very simple point: conference affiliation matters. For someone like Pikiell who is already in a P5 conference, I'd expect that to be a factor. For someone like Hurley, who isn't, that would be one less obstacle.
While I suspect we'd get Pikiell if we wanted him, I don't think this is a bad take.

Reaction Score

It wasn't directed toward you. It was directed toward Stainmaster. When it is finally painfully obvious that UConn is in need of a new coach, I guarantee that there will be at least 3 or 4 very good candidates to consider.

Reaction Score
I think it might be possible that Calhoun could come back and coach. Omar Calhoun. I always liked that kid and I think he was pretty sharp. He struggled due to injuries but that experience could be a benefit as a coach. Anyone know what he is up to? I hope he is coaching somewhere or is soon. Would love to see that kid get some coaching experience and show what he can do.

Wouldn't that be wild? Another Calhoun coaching UConn. It was there all the time and no one saw it....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can we once and for all please stop with the madness of wanting former players on our staff with 0 coaching experience.

Emeka Okafor was good a teh reboundz = new big man coach!

Reaction Score
Can we once and for all please stop with the madness of wanting former players on our staff with 0 coaching experience.

Emeka Okafor was good a teh reboundz = new big man coach!
Nobody is seriously asking for that, though. Pikiell's a proven D-1 coach, and Donyell's been a D-1 coach/assistant for the better part of a decade.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It wasn't a direct quote, but you've absolutely made it clear UConn can do no better than Ollie. You completely pivoted from where you were last year.

Pardon me if I'm not one of the rubes psyching themselves up about coaches from UNC Asheville and Valparaiso.

C

Chief00

Ollie makes 3 million per year, Pikiell makes 1.6 million per year.

New Jersey is probably the least fiscally sound state in the country.

It depends on the metric but Illinois and CT are definitely in the least fiscally sound metric conversation and they beat NJ out in some unfounded obligation categories.

C

Chief00

Since 2012/2013...

1. Coach K ($7.3 mil): 155-40

2. Calipari ($6.8 mil): 156-40

3. Sean Miller ($4.9 mil): 159-32

4. Bill Self ($4.9 mil): 155-37

5. Tom Izzo ($4.1 mil): 142-52

6. Bob Huggins ($3.3 mil): 119-64

7. Jamie Dixon ($3.2 mil): 124-61

8. Tom Crean ($3.1 mil/unempl): 111-60

9. Gregg Marshall ($3.1 mil): 160-31

10. Kevin Ollie ($3.1 mil): 120-64

There is a drop off after the top 5 - although I like Huggins and Marshall is good but competition has been historically weak.

Reaction Score

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="QDOG5, post: 2477929, member: 6764"Also, I think if KO has a winning record this season and the team makes the NCAA or NIT he will be back next year. I think his leash is longer than many people think because of his buyout and because of his asst coach reboot that Chief loves to tout. I think AD David Benedict will give KO another year to see if Chill and Kill can add some highly rated talent.[/QUOTE]

If we make the NCAA tournament, Ollie should be the National Coach of the Year with this crew.

Reaction Score

I think affiliation matters when it's the ACC or the Big Ten. But, it's a difficult sell to believe that kids or coaches go to Kentucky, Florida, Kansas or Oklahoma because they can't wait to play in that conference. No - they go for the program. Kids weren't lining up to play at TCU...until Jaime Dixon arrived and thrived. I keep seeing the name Hurley - but I think folks are looking at the wrong one. I would set my sights higher - on a Northeast guy that has turned Arizona State into a force. Granted, Bobby would have to get over the fact that Sellers bounced Laettner's head on the hardwood that time...but, you get my point. UConn is still a Program - we could land a Bobby Hurley from ASU or a Chris Beard from Texas Tech (#21) team. We sit in a talent rich corridor - it would be appealing to others, P5 affiliated or not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just curious about why we don't have any posts on last nights Rutgers score vs Stonybrook and how great a coach he'd be now? LOL:rolleyes:

Last night was a masterclass in blowing a game.

Up 5 with 11 seconds left?

You might want to try to win that game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom