OT: Pikiell's doing good work | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Pikiell's doing good work

Reaction Score
There are plenty of good coaches who would be thrilled to have the opportunity to coach at UConn and bring it back to the elite level. This notion that UConn can no longer attract a good coach is just plain false.
That depends on what they a willing to pay
With the AAC finally doing something about basketball the administration might make the investment and the league becomes a much more attractive option than its recent history.
However the state of Connecticut and more importantly the fan base is not what it was in 1986. Calhoun came because of the league, and because the Ct was a great B.B. State with a rabidly loyal student body,that everyone knew was loaded with potential.
The Demographics are mostly negative with a ho-hum student body
and an overwhelming number of alum who leave the state.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't worry, as you and Stain point out Pikiell is way too big for UConn.
It's Festivus. Can you give up lying for at least a day? I'd ask you to give up being a miserable whiner but that would be akin to giving up breathing for you.

Reaction Score
It's Festivus. Can you give up lying for at least a day? I'd ask you to give up being a miserable whiner but that would be akin to giving up breathing for you.
Wow, hope life is going okay for you. Merry Christmas.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Hartford could never beat Pikiell's Stony Brook teams. Great win for the Hawks!

Reactions: pj

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
History and tradition are being way oversold here...people do not realize how little it matters outside of the fanbase. The brand is incredibly weak right now, and a new coaching hire won't undo all of the hits it's taken the past few years.

Seems to me it's a lot easier to revive a brand than build one from scratch. UCONN really isn't that far removed at all, despite what it feels like to us. One good season, and "UCONN's back!" and all that.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So this is consecutive losses by Rutgers to America East teams (first Stony Brook, then Hartford). Perhaps there's enough familiarity with Pikiell and his system in America East to keep those games closer than they should be.

I'm not saying Rutgers is any good. They hung with Michigan State, they got crushed at Minnesota. Would anyone really be surprised to see them playing in the NIT final four?

Reaction Score
So this is consecutive losses by Rutgers to America East teams (first Stony Brook, then Hartford). Perhaps there's enough familiarity with Pikiell and his system in America East to keep those games closer than they should be.
Or maybe they got to high after the Seton Hall win and came out flat the last two games. My guess is Pikiell will have them running until they puke tonight.

I'm not saying Rutgers is any good. They hung with Michigan State, they got crushed at Minnesota. Would anyone really be surprised to see them playing in the NIT final four?
They've got to rediscover how to get stops.

Reaction Score
If they're still taking notice, all those important people, they are now moving on. Good call by the Cronies on this one!
The guy who would gladly let KO fly the program into the side of a mountain, all the while continuing to fluff him in the process, writes off a coach less than 2 seasons into taking over a dumpster fire in Rutgers. You can't make this stuff up!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@superjohn

Can you give us your top 3 targets if Ollie is fired. It’s very easy to mock Stain and Pikiell had the worst week in basketball history.

I’m sorry if you’ve posted and I missed.

Who are your top three targets?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The guy who would gladly let KO fly the program into the side of a mountain, all the while continuing to fluff him in the process, writes off a coach less than 2 seasons into taking over a dumpster fire in Rutgers. You can't make this stuff up!

Losing to Stony Brook and Hartford is unacceptable at any stage of a rebuild for a school in that conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Losing to Stony Brook and Hartford is unacceptable at any stage of a rebuild for a school in that conference.

What if you lost to Hartford in a rebuild and you were in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Are we holding Rutgers to a higher standard than we hold ourselves now?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What if you lost to Hartford in a rebuild and you were in the Big East?

9 out of 13 players on the team Pikiell just lost to had offers from 1 out of 351 Division I schools.

Of the remaining four, here are their offer lists:

-Sacred Heart
-Navy
-Jacksonville, New Orleans, North Florida
-Binghamton, Columbia, Fairleigh Dickinson, Sacred Heart

Even Rutgers should be able to handle a squad with that composition.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
9 out of 13 players on the team Pikiell just lost to had offers from 1 out of 351 Division I schools.

Of the remaining four, here are their offer lists:

-Sacred Heart
-Navy
-Jacksonville, New Orleans, North Florida
-Binghamton, Columbia, Fairleigh Dickinson, Sacred Heart

Even Rutgers should be able to handle a squad with that composition.

Stain - take a hint.

December 29, 1986.

UConn coached by Jim Calhoun lost to the University of Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom