OT: Pikiell's doing good work | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Pikiell's doing good work

Reaction Score
I don't know Pikiell or what he's thinking. I like him. If I was him, it would be hard not to consider how high the bar is here compared to where he is now; how it turned out here for the last beloved former player turned coach; how Calhoun was able to sell a lowly UConn program to recruits because of the reputation of the conference in which we played and the chance to play against the best; how that mirrors his situation at Rutgers much more than what's going on here.
I'm sure he'd consider all of that, and much of it is compelling.

C

Chief00

I took in two NBA games in the last month. My conclusion is KO runs much of the same stuff but he just doesn’t have the talent to make it work. He needs shooters and scorers, which the Blaze strategy is designed to obtain. He either has to stick with Blaze or change his scheme. If you insert talented players into his current scheme it will look very different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I took in two NBA games in the last month. My conclusion is KO runs much of the same stuff but he just doesn’t have the talent to make it work. He needs shooters and scores, which the Blaze strategy is designed to obtain. He either has to stick with Blaze or change his scheme. If you insert talented players into his current scheme it will look very different.

Sorry, Chief. You coach the players you have, not the players you wish you had. Doing otherwise is a recipe for failure.

Reaction Score
Why would Pikiell come here when he is already in the Big Ten at a state university with better resources?

Better facilities.
Better pay.
Better history and brand.
More nationally televised games.
Better OOC schedule ( since you seem to be playing the conference argument, which has literally NEVER worked for RU ).
Better track record of players in NBA.
Bigger recruiting footprint.

Other than that who knows why a coach would prefer UCONN over RU.

Reaction Score
Better facilities.
Better pay.
Better OOC schedule ( since you seem to be playing the conference argument, which has literally NEVER worked for RU ).

Also UCONN is his alma mater.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
History and tradition are being way oversold here...people do not realize how little it matters outside of the fanbase. The brand is incredibly weak right now, and a new coaching hire won't undo all of the hits it's taken the past few years.

Pollyanna optimism at its worst.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I took in two NBA games in the last month. My conclusion is KO runs much of the same stuff but he just doesn’t have the talent to make it work. He needs shooters and scores, which the Blaze strategy is designed to obtain. He either has to stick with Blaze or change his scheme. If you insert talented players into his current scheme it will look very different.

This is not insightful. You could say this about essentially any coach in America. Everyone's system would work better with players we where better at the sport they were coaching.

C

Chief00

Sorry, Chief. You coach the players you have, not the players you wish you had. Doing otherwise is a recipe for failure.
I don’t disagree, the point I was trying to make was that KO can successfully play the offense he wants to use but he needs maybe 2-3 NBA caliber scorers to pull it off. We don’t currently have that and it will take Blaze 2-3 years to get us there. Quite frankly, my personal preference would be college style offense. KO believes his offense prepares guys for the NBA and is a recruiting tool.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Better facilities.
Better pay.

Looks like Pikiell's salary is $1.2M per year compared to Ollie's $1.3M per year. Not sure how their media appearance or bonus pay differs, but I am guessing that if UConn comes calling Rutgers will be able to match, especially with Connecticut's current fiscal problems. Again, I don't know if NJ has similar problems, but I know CT has them and it will be an issue both in terms of salary and in terms of potential growth.

I'm not saying UConn doesn't have some advantages, but I don't think it's nearly as clear that it would be a no-brainer for Pikiell if UConn was an option as many here seem to believe. I mean, if the national, regional and local consensus about UConn is that we are "stuck," don't you think that would be a factor in his decision? And if it is widely accepted--as it should be--that the continued suckage of our football program is likely to exile us to this purgatory for the foreseeable future no matter what our basketball team does, isn't Rutgers better positioned?

C

Chief00

This is not insightful. You could say this about essentially any coach in America. Everyone's system would work better with players we where better at the sport they were coaching.

LOL - to play a pro style offense, you need pro style scorers who can shoot and break dudes down 1x1.
A college type offense doesn’t need that athleticism or contested shooting ability - you can have guys who can catch and shoot while open. Guys who work to get open without the ball or know the open holes in a zone.

Reaction Score
Looks like Pikiell's salary is $1.2M per year compared to Ollie's $1.3M per year. Not sure how their media appearance or bonus pay differs, but I am guessing that if UConn comes calling Rutgers will be able to match, especially with Connecticut's current fiscal problems. Again, I don't know if NJ has similar problems, but I know CT has them and it will be an issue both in terms of salary and in terms of potential growth.

I'm not saying UConn doesn't have some advantages, but I don't think it's nearly as clear that it would be a no-brainer for Pikiell if UConn was an option as many here seem to believe. I mean, if the national, regional and local consensus about UConn is that we are "stuck," don't you think that would be a factor in his decision? And if it is widely accepted--as it should be--that the continued suckage of our football program is likely to exile us to this purgatory for the foreseeable future no matter what our basketball team does, isn't Rutgers better positioned?

Ollie's salary is $3.1M this year. Kevin Ollie Signs New Five-Year Contract

Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess that if Pikiell is offered, it won't be in that range.

Probably not when you consider UConn AD is tightening the belt and would have to pay an Ollie buyout but it would be well north of $1.2.

Reaction Score

Ollie makes 3 million per year, Pikiell makes 1.6 million per year.

New Jersey is probably the least fiscally sound state in the country.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ollie makes $3 million a year -- top 10 paid Head Coach in all of college basketball

Since 2012/2013...

1. Coach K ($7.3 mil): 155-40

2. Calipari ($6.8 mil): 156-40

3. Sean Miller ($4.9 mil): 159-32

4. Bill Self ($4.9 mil): 155-37

5. Tom Izzo ($4.1 mil): 142-52

6. Bob Huggins ($3.3 mil): 119-64

7. Jamie Dixon ($3.2 mil): 124-61

8. Tom Crean ($3.1 mil/unempl): 111-60

9. Gregg Marshall ($3.1 mil): 160-31

10. Kevin Ollie ($3.1 mil): 120-64

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, the point I was trying to make was that KO can successfully play the offense he wants to use but he needs maybe 2-3 NBA caliber scorers to pull it off. We don’t currently have that and it will take Blaze 2-3 years to get us there. Quite frankly, my personal preference would be college style offense. KO believes his offense prepares guys for the NBA and is a recruiting tool.

What guys? The only guy who has sniffed the NBA since Shabazz graduated is Daniel Hamilton, and he left as soon as he could.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What guys? The only guy who has sniffed the NBA since Shabazz graduated is Daniel Hamilton, and he left as soon as he could.
So let's keep running his system with sub-NBA talent until the studs get here any year now. Edsall would like to run the Patriot's offense, but without any one who can pass accurately and with no one who can catch the ball. But it's a great system.

Reaction Score
Better facilities.
Better pay.

He's from Bristol.
He played here.

Reaction Score
Ollie makes 3 million per year, Pikiell makes 1.6 million per year.

New Jersey is probably the least fiscally sound state in the country.

The two states in worse shape in terms of unfunded retiree obligations than Connecticut are in fact New Jersey and Illinois. And New Jersey does not have the state support behind funding the flagship university that we do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom