OT: Pikiell's doing good work | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Pikiell's doing good work

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yup, that's it. You cracked the case.

Our next coach will be rebuilding a dumpster fire, yet you're cheerleading for a guy who can't even beat Hartford in his second season? I thought you actually wanted the program to turn around.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stain - take a hint.

December 29, 1986.

UConn coached by Jim Calhoun lost to the University of Hartford.

Right, because Pikiell is poised to follow that trajectory.

Wake me up when Montez Mathis hits "The Shot" to get them into the 2021 Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Our next coach will be rebuilding a dumpster fire, yet you're cheerleading for a guy who can't even beat Hartford in his second season? I thought you actually wanted the program to turn around.
I'm not quite sure where you got lost, but I couldn't care less whether it's Pikiell or someone else. As long as the much needed change is made.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right, because Pikiell is poised to follow that trajectory.

Wake me up when Montez Mathis hits "The Shot" to get them into the 2021 Elite 8.

Nice backpedal.

Good thing you spent all that time looking up offers but didn’t know that Calhoun lost to Hartford.

Hard to claim a loss to Hartford is disqualifying now isn’t it?

You also tell us every 15 minutes we shouldn’t ever expect to be good again so why would Pikiell need to bring Rutgers to the Elite Eight?

Did Calhoun bring a school to the Elite Eight prior to getting hired by UConn?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Nice backpedal.

Good thing you spent all that time looking up offers but didn’t know that Calhoun lost to Hartford.

Hard to claim a loss to Hartford is disqualifying now isn’t it?

Where was the word disqualifying used?

Anyway, it's a moot point. He wasn't some prospective candidate, he was already the coach -- and no CBB coach loses their job over the outcome of an individual game during their first season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where was the word disqualifying used?

Anyway, it's a moot point. He wasn't some prospective candidate, he was already the coach -- and no CBB coach loses their job over the outcome of an individual game during their first season.

Calhoun’s last year at Northeastern he lost to West Texas A&M. Amazing they still hired him.

Reaction Score
Are we holding Rutgers to a higher standard than we hold ourselves now?

This is about the coach Dave, people were noticing quit backing up on your statement. Never mind I figured excuses would be flying, no need keep up the act.

Reaction Score
This is about the coach Dave, people were noticing quit backing up on your statement. Never mind I figured excuses would be flying, no need keep up the act.
*Ignores direct response (pointing out your blatant hypocrisy) and instead responds to a comment made in an aside w/ j-stain*

Reaction Score
*Ignores direct response (pointing out your blatant hypocrisy) and instead responds to a comment made in an aside w/ j-stain*

:eek: LOL, typical. Speaking of fluffing is your nose still entrenched in this guys a** after losing to Hartford and Stonybrook, oh and right after you planted it there because he beat Seton Hall? You my friend need to answer to the original question of this part of the thread, not me. Your inconsistencies throughout these last couple of years are noted, now get back to the window and take some orders there are cars waiting.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Pikiell losing to UHart and Stony Brook in the same season would be bad let alone the same week. However, I don't think Pikiell should automatically be disqualified as a potential replacement (if and when the time comes for it) just because of two horrific losses while coaching a historically bad team/program in Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Pikiell losing to UHart and Stony Brook in the same season would be bad let alone the same week. However, I don't think Pikiell should automatically be disqualified as a potential replacement (if and when the time comes for it) just because of two horrific losses while coaching a historically bad team/program in Rutgers.

Let's not get into mud slinging of one of our own, there's enough of that going on in the Boneyard. Let's just say with a pattern like the win at SH then losses to SBU and Hartford it would look to familiar to us. Great guy, does a nice job but he's not the guy for this job unless you just want to be ok. If you're good with that then by all means, let's go.

Next

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Let's not get into mud slinging of one of our own, there's enough of that going on in the Boneyard. Let's just say with a pattern like the win at SH then losses to SBU and Hartford it would look to familiar to us. Great guy, does a nice job but he's not the guy for this job unless you just want to be ok. If you're good with that then by all means, let's go.

Next
That's a fair assessment at this point. I'm just saying he shouldn't of automatically been deemed the successor after beating Seton Hall nor should he be absolutely disqualified due to these two bad losses. However, those losses are obviously concerning and something to keep in mind moving forward.

Reaction Score
That's a fair assessment at this point. I'm just saying he shouldn't of automatically been deemed the successor after beating Seton Hall nor should he be absolutely disqualified due to these two bad losses. However, those losses are obviously concerning and something to keep in mind moving forward.

Agree, there is some history regarding these posts so please disregard most. He's a great guy and a Husky so he will be in the picture I'm guessing should something happen.

Reaction Score
I'm all for going outside the UConn family for the hire. Think that's best for the program at this time.

Reaction Score
What's with all this talk about Pikiell? I realize he's a former Husky, but what has he ever done in his coaching career? I would think UConn could do better if they decide to make a change.
Unless he does ridiculous stuff the rest of the year, Pikiell can't be the guy. Sorry, firing a guy who won a title to hire a guy whose teams have played in 1 game ever (despite being 1st or 2nd in his league 6 times) would be a major disappointment.

I'm not optimistic they'll make a KO move with a $10M buyout. If they do, and they come back with Pikiell, they've made a huge mistake, and we'll be frustrated and disappointed with our coaching for a long time.

Reaction Score
Unless he does ridiculous stuff the rest of the year, Pikiell can't be the guy. Sorry, firing a guy who won a title to hire a guy whose teams have played in 1 game ever (despite being 1st or 2nd in his league 6 times) would be a major disappointment.
It's not going to be Pikiell – they'll go outside the family with the replacement.

That said, I feel like you're downplaying his accomplishments a little bit there. He built that Stony Brook program from the ground up, and now he's trying to resurrect what's probably the very worst P5 program of the last 35 years. There are bound to be some stumbles along the way.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

As much of a dumpster fire you may think UConn is it is nothing like Rutgers. Rutgers has no recent history of success. Rutgers has crap facilities. Rutgers has a weak fanbase and little to support from the state for it's baskeball program.

UConn is one recruiting class away from being relevant again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom