OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN?

Reaction Score
I listened to the Tim Brando interview from the Louisville station where he mentioned there have been talks. He didnt say anything was imminent, just there had been talks in the past. It seemed like he was speaking on behalf of how Brian Kelly and the coaching staff feels about how being an independent with the unbalanced schedule hurts their chances of getting into the playoff.

I "have talks" every day with myself about dropping 40 pounds and not drinking so much.

Reaction Score
Flipper isn't there. Fr. Leahy is gone too I believe. My hunch is that BC realizes the lack of interest their fans have without a local rival and would support UConn.

Only hope is the ACC says to BC reps "you're lucky you'r even in the league, shut up you get no vote anyway, if you speak UConn will automatically take your place."

Reaction Score
BC will be a "no" on UConn...today, tomorrow, and forever. I am as jaded toward UConn as anyone and even I can't come up with a delusional argument that BC will suddenly become UConn's advocate.

That said, BC's "no" is just one vote and, to be honest, it is the least important vote in the ACC. BC has not carried its weight and has failed to deliver the NE as it once promised it would do. BC can't argue they want be New England's team in the ACC while floundering in winning, ratings and athletic infrastructure improvement. In fact, in arguing against UConn, BC will only highlights its own failures and the critical void the ACC has in the New York to Boston corridor.

UConn should be more concerned about the ACC football powers. FSU, Clemson, Miami and Louisville are a very, very influential block and have far greater control than their 4 votes. Sadly, timing is not good for UConn since clearly our football program hit absolute rock bottom last year. Our best hope should the ACC look to add now is that the recent football success of Clemson and FSU and the rising football profiles of Louisville and Miami make a "pure football add" less of a priority than it was in 2012.

Personally I hope the immediate ND speculation is nonsense. UConn is not optimally situation to take the ACC admission test right now. A couple of years of +.500 football seasons would really help our candidacy.

Reaction Score
BC will be a "no" on UConn...today, tomorrow, and forever. I am as jaded toward UConn as anyone and even I can't come up with a delusional argument that BC will suddenly become UConn's advocate.

That said, BC's "no" is just one vote and, to be honest, it is the least important vote in the ACC. BC has not carried its weight and has failed to deliver the NE as it once promised it would do. BC can't argue they want be New England's team in the ACC while floundering in winning, ratings and athletic infrastructure improvement. In fact, in arguing against UConn, BC will only highlights its own failures and the critical void the ACC has in the New York to Boston corridor.

UConn should be more concerned about the ACC football powers. FSU, Clemson, Miami and Louisville are a very, very influential block and have far greater control than their 4 votes. Sadly, timing is not good for UConn since clearly our football program hit absolute rock bottom last year. Our best hope should the ACC look to add now is that the recent football success of Clemson and FSU and the rising football profiles of Louisville and Miami make a "pure football add" less of a priority than it was in 2012.

Personally I hope the immediate ND speculation is nonsense. UConn is not optimally situation to take the ACC admission test right now. A couple of years of +.500 football seasons would really help our candidacy.
Louisville doesn't have a credible vote until the academic scandal is behind them. Influential they are not, at least right now. I would worry about FSU and where they sit on a UCONN invite. BC will not say no, this time around. That "no" a few years ago was totally Flipper and Leahy, who both hated Uconn, it's clear that both were wrong then at lobbying to keep UCONN out. With Flipper it was personal for other reasons. Both are now thankfully gone. No way would we be playing them in Football this fall if both were still there. I am hopefully optimistic that UConn goes better than 500 this fall and maybe even beats BC in Fenway, Kevin Ollie rights the ship, and Geno wins his 12th title.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Okay now I am in full on stalk mode, he left AOL and has joined Contee Nast. Never heard of them, me either but they self describe as
Condé Nast is a premier media company renowned for producing the highest quality content for the world's most influential audiences.

Check out his Bio: About – Condé Nast

Norton has more than 25 years of experience in media sales and marketing, most recently as the global media sales lead at AOL, where he managed a team of more than 1500 people responsible for selling digital content media to advertising agencies and global businesses. Norton’s sales and client service expertise spans programmatic and platform based media, as well as branded content and premium ad experiences – including native, customized content, original video and innovative ad formats.

Interesting.
Condé naste is famous dude.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Condé naste is famous dude.
10471559-puzzled-man-at-computer-shrugs-shoulders-and-expresses-lack-of-knowledge.jpg

Who knew?

pj

Reaction Score

FSU was worried about football quality because the ACC had recently gone 2-13 in BCS bowl games. Now they're going to be primarily concerned about revenue -- can they compete with Florida? -- and the success of their new linear network. If ESPN tells them UConn brings the biggest number of cable subscribers and the biggest revenue gain, they'll be for UConn.

BC and FSU had their say the last few times and they got schools, Cuse and Louisville, heading into probation. I don't think Tobacco Road is going to lay down for them on the next add, and I don't think they'll see BC's local rivalry concerns as worth respecting given that BC is not going to deliver New England for the ACC Network and fear of local neighbors will seem ridiculous given the value UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake have gotten out of having intense local rivalries.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree with your assessment above...I think it is historically and factually correct and a very solid analysis. If the biggest decision point is money then UConn is the only candidate (after ND) that truly owns its market in a region the ACC is trying to occupy.

However, I've learned trying to predict the thought process for how a conference will add members is like trying to predict which sperm cell will fertilize an egg. Every round of alignment seems different and it is always a blend of concrete facts (money, athletic department, academics, TV markets) and emotion ("teams I want my school to play in football" and "I'm tired of those fancy NC basketball schools telling us what to do.")

I agree the ACC football schools made the call on the last rounds of ACC alignment. I am just not convinced they are willing to give the reigns back to tobacco road....That said, I hope you are right and it is about the ACCN and revenue.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest thing UConn has going for them is that I can't imagine Cincy has enough passion from the football wing for them to go to bat over the inevitable Tobacco Road objections. Of course the ACC's basketball dominance may diminish the desire for UConn, who knows. I'm sure ND will want some input as well. But outside the "go for broke, swing for fences" grab of Texas or something, in a pool of Cincy, West Virginia, and the like, UConn should be well situated. But then I thought that before FSU issued an ultimatum on Louisville, so who knows anything.

Reaction Score
Flipper isn't there. Fr. Leahy is gone too I believe.
That "no" a few years ago was totally Flipper and Leahy, who both hated UConn, it's clear that both were wrong then at lobbying to keep UConn out. With Flipper it was personal for other reasons. Both are now thankfully gone.

President Leahy isn't gone ... yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem that UConn will have is that Notre Dame isn't actually joining the ACC any time soon. And when they do, it won't be just UConn and Cincy in the mix - there will likely be some displaced Big 12 teams out there as well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
10471559-puzzled-man-at-computer-shrugs-shoulders-and-expresses-lack-of-knowledge.jpg

Who knew?

Ever hear of:
  • Vogue
  • W
  • Glamour
  • Allure
  • GQ
  • Golf Digest
  • Epicurious
  • Wired
  • Ars Technica
  • Vanity Fair
  • The New Yorker
  • Etc, etc, etc...
That's them.

Reaction Score

I don't think BC is as anti-UConn now as they were just a few years ago.
BC's signature sport is Hockey and they certainly have a bigger voice in Hockey East than the ACC were they are an outlier. UConn gives them a little better geographic connection to the rest of the conference.
Many of the players who fueled the feud,I will include our sainted Jim Calhoun in that number, are no longer players. UConn as a conference mate does more for BC than any other team. Never overlook the value of having someone whose fans despise each other only two hours away.

Reaction Score
I don't think BC is as anti-UConn now as they were just a few years ago.
BC's signature sport is Hockey and they certainly have a bigger voice in Hockey East than the ACC were they are an outlier. UConn gives them a little better geographic connection to the rest of the conference.
Many of the players who fueled the feud,I will include our sainted Jim Calhoun in that number, are no longer players. UConn as a conference mate does more for BC than any other team. Never overlook the value of having someone whose fans despise each other only two hours away.
Could not have said it better. Let's hope Father Leahy retires soon, although he was not as anti UConn as Flipper was, who hated Uconn since his playing days at Springfield.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem that UConn will have is that Notre Dame isn't actually joining the ACC any time soon. And when they do, it won't be just UConn and Cincy in the mix - there will likely be some displaced Big 12 teams out there as well.
Whose to say that the ACC has to wait for Notre Dame to get off the pot, before they invite UConn. They could easily invite UConn tomorrow for either all sports or all sports except Football until ND comes on board. I could see them doing that just to prop up BC and Cuse and get first dibs on MSG over the B1G and the Big East basketball schools. Doing that would be the end for the Big Ten to capture the NY and Northeastern markets and Rutgers becomes a lonely outpost.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Louisville doesn't have a credible vote until the academic scandal is behind them. Influential they are not, at least right now. I would worry about FSU and where they sit on a UConn invite. BC will not say no, this time around. That "no" a few years ago was totally Flipper and Leahy, who both hated UConn, it's clear that both were wrong then at lobbying to keep UConn out. With Flipper it was personal for other reasons. Both are now thankfully gone. No way would we be playing them in Football this fall if both were still there. I am hopefully optimistic that UConn goes better than 500 this fall and maybe even beats BC in Fenway, Kevin Ollie rights the ship, and Geno wins his 12th title.

UCONN going to the ACC would be sooo beneficial for BC at this point. They need this type of regional rivalry. Be stupid to turn it down. Best thing that could happen to them.

We don't need the rivalry at all, but we sure as snow need the P5 invite.

Reaction Score
Could not have said it better. Let's hope Father Leahy retires soon, although he was not as anti UConn as Flipper was, who hated UConn since his playing days at Springfield.

Retires or whatever.....

Reaction Score
As a Syracuse alum/fan who detests UConn but loves the SU/UConn rivalry do you guys think that if ND goes all-in to the ACC that UConn NEEDS that other invite?

I gotta think it'd make or break time for UConn athletics, no?

As someone posted earlier in this thread UConn hoops was a bad team in a bad conference. How do you get better from there? What are you selling to recruits now?

If ND goes ACC and some other school gets the 16th spot (I can't imagine there is any other school that is more of a fit than UConn would be - Cincinnati? Blech), Isn't it a death knell? I mean, not literally, but how do you then attract those blue-chippers?

If UConn was in fact a bad team in bad conference, then Syracuse was a mediocre team in an exceptional conference. And that is really whats keeping the hoops program at SU afloat right now. The lost scholarships are having an effect on the court but the staff can still walk in to a recruit's home and sell the ACC.

For the record, I've wanted UConn to come to ACC since the Big East imploded. Its a win-win for everybody involved and I can't believe there's even a question as to not inviting the Huskies.

My apologies if you guys think I'm trolling here. I'm not I'm just genuinely curious as to your take on this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As someone posted earlier in this thread UConn hoops was a bad team in a bad conference. How do you get better from there? What are you selling to recruits now?

If UConn was in fact a bad team in bad conference, then Syracuse was a mediocre team in an exceptional conference. And that is really whats keeping the hoops program at SU afloat right now. The lost scholarships are having an effect on the court but the staff can still walk in to a recruit's home and sell the ACC.

For the record, I've wanted UConn to come to ACC since the Big East imploded. Its a win-win for everybody involved and I can't believe there's even a question as to not inviting the Huskies.

My apologies if you guys think I'm trolling here. I'm not I'm just genuinely curious as to your take on this.

You tell recruits that we were super injured (which we were) and go from there. And then you dangle a National Championship from a few years ago and call it a day. Not that simple, but you get what I'm saying. The conference is only one reason we've suffered lately. It can be overcome in terms of BBall recruiting.

I wouldn't call the ACC exceptional last year, despite getting a bunch teams in the tournament -> they didn't do that great. A few good teams and that's it. It's usually a top heavy conference: Duke, UNC, and then a revolving cast of one or two other good teams. It appears Pitt, Cuse, and obviously BC have all regressed a bit since joining.

I wouldn't an call an ACC invite make or break, but it's certainly really f#@king important. It's the most likely P5 invite, so to be passed over would be brutal. Big12 isn't stable enough, but of course we'd accept in a heartbeat. B1G would be amazing, but I don't see it. BBall could always go back to the Big East, but I don't think that's good long term...and it would kill football forever.

Reaction Score
As a Syracuse alum/fan who detests UConn but loves the SU/UConn rivalry do you guys think that if ND goes all-in to the ACC that UConn NEEDS that other invite?

I gotta think it'd make or break time for UConn athletics, no?

If ND goes ACC and some other school gets the 16th spot (I can't imagine there is any other school that is more of a fit than UConn would be - Cincinnati? Blech), Isn't it a death knell? I mean, not literally, but how do you then attract those blue-chippers?

Big East, and hope that it will continue to remain high enough profile to stay close to P5 in basketball. Football becomes whatever it may become.

Reaction Score
If expansion ever comes up again, I could actually see the ACC turning us down because of the Nate Miles/APR issues. I'm not kidding - Louisville, Syracuse, and UNC having been awash in scandal over the last few years, they are not going to add a school that presents a PR problem to be their fill-in. If the numbers are close I still think rule #1 applies even if we are the best candidate.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If expansion ever comes up again, I could actually see the ACC turning us down because of the Nate Miles/APR issues. I'm not kidding - Louisville, Syracuse, and UNC having been awash in scandal over the last few years, they are not going to add a school that presents a PR problem to be their fill-in. If the numbers are close I still think rule #1 applies even if we are the best candidate.
They took Louisville.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I don't agree, especially with winning that APR award or whatever it is. We are now a beacon of light academically. I think the overall academic profile will be important, and UCONN is doing well there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom