OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN? | The Boneyard

OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN?

Reaction Score
Here we go again.
I want to believeeeee..... but I don't have the energy no more. Que sera, sera.

Watching how bad we looked in men's bball this year, hurt worst than all the recent bad football seasons. We were a bad team in a bad league, if UConn were a stock the sell off would be huge right now. I'm holding for the inevitable bounce back!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
'Jim from AOL' tweeted something about this a couple of weeks ago. I blew if off because I've never found the guy to be particularly credible. In hindsight it may have made some sense. ND doesn't "join the ACC" instead they expand their scheduling agreement with ACC in exchange for a bigger share ACCN revenue or something. He ended with something like "stand by UConn" or "next up UConn." I guess the notion is that the expanded scheduling deal is enough like being a conference member to justify a UConn add, though he didn't come out and say it.

Somebody researched him when he was posting CR stuff before. I remember him being vaguely credible with some plausible CR ties. He get the occasional mention on some other boards.

Take it for what it is worth.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
'Jim from AOL' tweeted something about this a couple of weeks ago. I blew if off because I've never found the guy to be particularly credible. In hindsight it may have made some sense. ND doesn't "join the ACC" instead they expand their scheduling agreement with ACC in exchange for a bigger share ACCN revenue or something. He ended with something like "stand by UConn" or "next up UConn." I guess the notion is that the expanded scheduling deal is enough like being a conference member to justify a UConn add, though he didn't come out and say it.

Somebody researched him when he was posting CR stuff before. I remember him being vaguely credible with some plausible CR ties. He get the occasional mention on some other boards.

I stopped reading at "AOL"

CL82

Reaction Score
I stopped reading at "AOL"
Lol, yep, I know. Let me see if I can find the old post where someone looked into him....

... and here it is: Non-Key Tweets

...And he got a mentioned in a Magic Johnson Tweet, for what that's worth:

Jim Norton Retweeted

Earvin Magic Johnson‏Verified account @MagicJohnson 15 Dec 2015
Thanks to @aol CMO Allie Kline & Global Head ofSales Jim Norton for having me speak to their Sales/Marketing team!

CWUBJZsWIAAJh67.jpg

That would be Jimbo on the far left.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Brando has consistently said that Notre Dame will join the ACC.

I think it will happen eventually, but not in this generation.

Reaction Score
They have to to get access to the ACC Champ game to get into the playoff

Or if the CFP expands to 6 or even 8 teams they may think they can consistently get there even w/o full conference affiliation

CL82

Reaction Score
Okay now I am in full on stalk mode, he left AOL and has joined Contee Nast. Never heard of them, me either but they self describe as
Condé Nast is a premier media company renowned for producing the highest quality content for the world's most influential audiences.

Check out his Bio: About – Condé Nast

Norton has more than 25 years of experience in media sales and marketing, most recently as the global media sales lead at AOL, where he managed a team of more than 1500 people responsible for selling digital content media to advertising agencies and global businesses. Norton’s sales and client service expertise spans programmatic and platform based media, as well as branded content and premium ad experiences – including native, customized content, original video and innovative ad formats.

Interesting.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame and the ACC just announced they have done scheduling until 2036. While it doesn't mean anything in the long term (I mean they'd already done it out a decade, so what's 2 decades), it probably means nothing is happening in the short-term. Like this off-season.

Reaction Score
Lol, yep, I know. Let me see if I can find the old post where someone looked into him....

Jim Norton Retweeted

Thanks to @aol CMO Allie Kline & Global Head ofSales Jim Norton for having me speak to their Sales/Marketing team!

CWUBJZsWIAAJh67.jpg

Okay now I am in full on stalk mode, he left AOL and has joined Contee Nast. Never heard of them, me either but they self describe as
Condé Nast is a premier media company renowned for producing the highest quality content for the world's most influential audiences.

Check out his Bio: About – Condé Nast

Norton has more than 25 years of experience in media sales and marketing, most recently as the global media sales lead at AOL, where he managed a team of more than 1500 people responsible for selling digital content media to advertising agencies and global businesses. Norton’s sales and client service expertise spans programmatic and platform based media, as well as branded content and premium ad experiences – including native, customized content, original video and innovative ad formats.

Interesting.

From almost a year ago to the date... Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Less options this time. I'd imagine Cincy would be the main alternative and Tobacco Road would still back you. You'd just need to convince the football guys that you are better, and it probably wouldn't matter what BC or Syracuse thought.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame gave up independence in every thing but name only in 2014. ND athletics, outside of football, cannot function without being in a conference and the ACC is their safe harbor. In return for that safety ND has agreed to play 5 ACC teams in football every year. This effectively makes ND football a "half member" of the ACC....the only true independence ND possess is the title "independent."

So what would it take for ND to give up the title "independent?" Probably a lot more money but, even more importantly, access to the ACC Championship game and playoffs. ND is still in a position to dictate terms to the ACC and my guess is they could probably work a sweet heart deal which gave them more scheduling flexability than any other ACC team. For example, ND increases its ACC games to 7 and agrees to becoming an ACC member in name while reserving 4 out of conference games. Moreover, if ND ends the season ranked in the AP as one of the top 2 ACC teams then they are automatically elevated to the ACC Championship game.

Bottom line...ND probably would have joined a conference long ago if their football team had recently been a playoff contender. The P5 is a football cartel and it is very unlikely a 11-1 ND beats a 11-1 P5 conference champion for that last playoff spot. The cartel will takes care of its core P5 conferences and the playoff selection committee is not going to let an outsider in the party. Additionally P5 conference championship games have now become a bigger draw than non-playoff bowl games and one has to think ND would love a change to play on the ACC's biggest football stage.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

'Jim K from AOL' is more plugged in, I think.

Reaction Score

Apparently they're talking about it right now, if you can believe the tweets.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Jim Norton Retweeted

CWUBJZsWIAAJh67.jpg

He looks quite feminine but I guess that's a pretty heteronormative thing to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom