OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Notre Dame to ACC...then UCONN?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You tell recruits that we were super injured (which we were) and go from there. And then you dangle a National Championship from a few years ago and call it a day. Not that simple, but you get what I'm saying. The conference is only one reason we've suffered lately. It can be overcome in terms of BBall recruiting.

I wouldn't call the ACC exceptional last year, despite getting a bunch teams in the tournament -> they didn't do that great. A few good teams and that's it. It's usually a top heavy conference: Duke, UNC, and then a revolving cast of one or two other good teams. It appears Pitt, Cuse, and obviously BC have all regressed a bit since joining.

I wouldn't an call an ACC invite make or break, but it's certainly really f#@king important. It's the most likely P5 invite, so to be passed over would be brutal. Big12 isn't stable enough, but of course we'd accept in a heartbeat. B1G would be amazing, but I don't see it. BBall could always go back to the Big East, but I don't think that's good long term...and it would kill football forever.

ACC got a bunch of teams in and a bunch flamed out early and a ACC power won the title .
Can you say 2011 Big East redux?

If the big east was strong that year ( and we all like to say it was) . The ACC was great this year.

Reaction Score
As a Syracuse alum/fan who detests UConn but loves the SU/UConn rivalry do you guys think that if ND goes all-in to the ACC that UConn NEEDS that other invite?

I gotta think it'd make or break time for UConn athletics, no?

As someone posted earlier in this thread UConn hoops was a bad team in a bad conference. How do you get better from there? What are you selling to recruits now?

If ND goes ACC and some other school gets the 16th spot (I can't imagine there is any other school that is more of a fit than UConn would be - Cincinnati? Blech), Isn't it a death knell? I mean, not literally, but how do you then attract those blue-chippers?

If UConn was in fact a bad team in bad conference, then Syracuse was a mediocre team in an exceptional conference. And that is really whats keeping the hoops program at SU afloat right now. The lost scholarships are having an effect on the court but the staff can still walk in to a recruit's home and sell the ACC.

For the record, I've wanted UConn to come to ACC since the Big East imploded. Its a win-win for everybody involved and I can't believe there's even a question as to not inviting the Huskies.

My apologies if you guys think I'm trolling here. I'm not I'm just genuinely curious as to your take on this.

Honestly, it looks like the make or break point has passed. The past 5 years have been the same, wait for another round. Either the ACC scenario or the breakup/expansion of the Big 12 are the only UConn paths into a P5 conference now. If one doesn't happen, then wait or hope for the other scenario. If neither happens, then wait another 5 years for new rumors to start up.

The Big East would be the death of football and hopefully the last resort. I put it as a toss-up as to whether its better than just staying in the AAC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
ACC got a bunch of teams in and a bunch flamed out early and a ACC power won the title .
Can you say 2011 Big East redux?

If the big east was strong that year ( and we all like to say it was) . The ACC was great this year.

Meh, I didn't think it was THAT amazing. It deserved to get those teams in, but as usual, a bunch of them choked.

I looked the ACC this year as different. Maybe they deserved to get these teams in, maybe they didn't. But I don't think many of them were actually that good to begin with. jmo

Not conclusive, just another data point:
  • 5 ACC teams in Kenpom top 25 for 2017
  • 8 BE teams in Kenpom Top 25 for 2011

Reaction Score
The ACC wasn't great this year in the tournament. But then the other top conferences didn't exactly excel either (Big XII and Pac only got one team past the S16, B10 got zero). As far as conferences go, the SEC stole the show. But then no one would confuse the SEC with a basketball conference. Blips come and go, but you can't go wrong pushing yourself against solid programs year-in, year-out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My apologies if you guys think I'm trolling here. I'm not I'm just genuinely curious as to your take on this.
2zs7slm-imgur-gif.12952

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom