OT - NBA off-season thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT - NBA off-season thread

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Hardaway deal is another in a long line of boneheaded cap moves by the Knicks front office. Is Allan Houston off the payroll yet?

No but I believe they are still paying for Bobby Bonilla. ;)

Reaction Score
Jordan Bell in summer league today:

5 points (2/2), 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals, 6 blocks, +27

Dude is a fascinating player.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand locking the other thread so I guess we move the convo to here.

Another very, very good game for Ball, and he was actually efficient, before leaving with a minor injury. I expect him and Smith Jr. to be the front runners for ROY. Kyle Kuzma has been extremely impressive but I am having a difficult time processing him because of how well Lonzo sets him up (Kuzma was one of the random late Spring 3* players that appeared on our radar after presumably missing out on top options).The full court passes are reminiscent of K Love, albeit with a different style. Guys like Ingram and Randle are going to be adding an additional 6 points to their per game average because of the throw ahead.

This one was so easy to see, wasn't it? Even in the pre-draft threads, Bell was the runaway answer for best sleeper. I cannot understand how he fell, and to fall to the Dubs out of all teams. The Bulls FO should be ashamed for selling this pick to save a few million bucks.

And FWIW, I think Crawford is still a solid pick-up off the bench, and it did seem like top teams had interest, but he would have likely been looking at the minimum and/or playing a much lesser role, especially with the Warriors. He is good as a microwave type player off the bench, even at his advanced age. If he has it that night, let him rip, if not, keep 'em on the bench. He is also possibly my favorite player in the League to watch when "on" and has my #1 sleeper hoops shoe so I am biased. The efficiency isn't great in a vacuum, but is actually fine when you consider the efficiency of putrid 2nd units. Creating good looks is a skill and one that Crawford has. I am also probably somewhere in the middle of Niels and Warrior on the Wiggins talk. Wiggins is actually not liked by the NBA head community. I don't think he is going to be future top 15 player in the NBA. He is one of those guys who does not seem to play with even half of his athleticism. He is not creating for others and is not impacting the game, besides scoring. I don't really see him making a huge jump in his career as a playmaker - it is not in his DNA, IMO, but he has made a lot of strides offensively last season, especially as the ball handler on PNR's. His value is going to come down to defense. He has all the tools in the world and if he can become a plus defender, he is going to be a very, very valuable player. Think of how valuable wings are who can do nothing but play D and shoot corner 3's. His defensive awareness has a long, long way to go so we shall see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I love Jordan Bell, would have been a Husky if we weren't worried about grades after the APR nonsense.

Reaction Score
This is not a normal NBA skill. The instinct to immediately process the entire court and the ability to drop a pinpoint perfect full-court pass. Wow

Reaction Score
This is not a normal NBA skill. The instinct to immediately process the entire court and the ability to drop a pinpoint perfect full-court pass. Wow

Ainge is a schmuck for not taking him.

Reaction Score

I'm sure he's had years of practice making that pass to LaMelo waiting on the other side of the court for his 90 points. In all seriousness though, that's an incredible skill to have, his vision is ridiculous

Reaction Score
Ainge is a schmuck for not taking him.
Ainge but not Philly?

But yeah, you definitely don't hate Boston teams (even though you find every slight opening to trash the city and its teams.)

Reaction Score
Ainge but not Philly?

But yeah, you definitely don't hate Boston teams (even though you find every slight opening to trash the city and its teams.)
What???? The Celtics had the #1 draft pick, I've stated over and over Ball is hands down the best player in the draft, you take the best player every time.

I've also stated a million times that I dislike the Patriots and Red Sox but like the Celtics. In fact Ainge was one of my favorite players growing up, sick athlete.

Major fail of a post on your part.

Reaction Score
I'm going to pump the brakes on declaring Ball the best player in the draft - and I know you've been saying this all along - on the basis of a summer league where he's shot the ball poorly.

Michael Carter-Williams put up these sort of numbers...in the NBA. So I'm going to remain skeptical on Ball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm going to pump the brakes on declaring Ball the best player in the draft - and I know you've been saying this all along - on the basis of a summer league where he's shot the ball poorly.

Michael Carter-Williams put up these sort of numbers...in the NBA. So I'm going to remain skeptical on Ball.
Michael Carter Williams didn't have close to the jump shot or vision Lonzo has. His jump shot is funky but it's effective.

Lonzo IMO is truly going to be a generational type of player. He knows how to play winning basketball and his unselfishness and willingness to make his teammates look good will draw talent to come play with him. Having a 6'6 PG who knows how to move the ball and play without it too is just so dangerous. This game is about matchups and he is a mismatch for opposing shorter guards. He's going to be scary as he gets stronger and his scoring improves.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Michael Carter Williams didn't have close to the jump shot or vision Lonzo has. His jump shot is funky but it's effective.

Lonzo IMO is truly going to be a generational type of player. He knows how to play winning basketball and his unselfishness and willingness to make his teammates look good will draw talent to come play with him. Having a 6'6 PG who knows how to move the ball and play without it too is just so dangerous. This game is about matchups and he is a mismatch for opposing shorter guards. He's going to be scary as he gets stronger and his scoring improves.

dude, it's summer league. Most of the guys he's playing against aren't that great, or are raw . Wait until he has real defenders, with a real team defense in front of him.

He's a great passer, everybody knew that already. Let's see if the rest of his game can measure out when real ball (ahem) starts.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball needs a pull up jump shot or that passing isn't to work with the way defense is played in the NBA...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
dude, it's summer league. Most of the guys he's playing against aren't that great, or are raw . Wait until he has real defenders, with a real team defense in front of him.

He's a great passer, everybody knew that already. Let's see if the rest of his game can measure out when real ball (ahem) starts.
It definitely is summer league. But even the best of stars struggled in it. The biggest thing I've taken out of it is how easy the guys around him are scoring. He had 10 assists by halftime yesterday. Makes the game seem effortless.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It definitely is summer league. But even the best of stars struggled in it. The biggest thing I've taken out of it is how easy the guys around him are scoring. He had 10 assists by halftime yesterday. Makes the game seem effortless.

But that's the thing, preseason doesn't mean anything one way or another. It's like Spring Training; a perennial .300 40 hr guy might struggle out of the gate, but when the bright lights are on, they crush it.

The way I look at it, Lonzo, who does have incredible vision and passing skills, is uniquely suited to carving up summer league, where guys are raw, less skilled/disciplined defensively, or maybe not quite the same elite athletes. I mean, team defense isn't all that prevalent. Guys don't know what they are doing as much. So, someone with those skills to carve up a (weak) D, can ball out.

I'm not saying he's crap, just that I don't think summer league is a good measure of how he's going to be going forward.

Reaction Score

You realize I'm not basing any of this off of summer league, right?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But that's the thing, preseason doesn't mean anything one way or another. It's like Spring Training; a perennial .300 40 hr guy might struggle out of the gate, but when the bright lights are on, they crush it.

The way I look at it, Lonzo, who does have incredible vision and passing skills, is uniquely suited to carving up summer league, where guys are raw, less skilled/disciplined defensively, or maybe not quite the same elite athletes. I mean, team defense isn't all that prevalent. Guys don't know what they are doing as much. So, someone with those skills to carve up a (weak) D, can ball out.

I'm not saying he's crap, just that I don't think summer league is a good measure of how he's going to be going forward.
That's a great point. His high IQ can make it easy against this type of competition. I'll be looking forward to see how it translates. I think he can be a 15 and 8 guy this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's a great point. His high IQ can make it easy against this type of competition. I'll be looking forward to see how it translates. I think he can be a 15 and 8 guy this year.

Again, I'm not saying he's going to be crap, I just think it's tough to gauge in summer league. That's all. I think Tatum looks better than he'll be this year too.

My take on Ball is the same as before. He's got a superlative skill, which will allow him a long and probably successful career. I'm not yet sure how his other skills will translate.

My guess is he will be a very good player in this league, though not a transcendent one. Though, much of his ceiling will depend on who he's surrounded with, given his skill set. If he gets paired with a HOF scorer and another All Star, the assessment could change. I don't see him as a guy who's going to take over games all by himself a la Harden/Westbrook. If he develops those things he is currently weak in, the assessment could change.

I agree will be fun to watch.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And wait til he gets a glove (Avery Bradley style) defender on him.
I don't think Ball will ever be the best scorer on the team so he won't draw this assignment. The guy seems to genuinely enjoy making his teammates shine so I can't see him getting that responsibility.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think Ball will ever be the best scorer on the team so he won't draw this assignment. The guy seems to genuinely enjoy making his teammates shine so I can't see him getting that responsibility.

Perhaps not. But if I was a coach, I'd want to cut off the head of the dragon, so the body dies. But I'm not Pop or Stevens. They'll figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom