OT - NBA off-season thread | The Boneyard

OT - NBA off-season thread

Reaction Score
This is about as chaotic as I've seen things in the post-decision era. Tons of things going on right now, from Cleveland just now parting with their general manager to the draft on Thursday to the entire league collectively having no idea what to do about Golden State. The three biggest questions I have heading into free agency are:

1. What is Boston going to do? They have a near unprecedented amount of flexibility, which can be both a good and bad thing in that league. Do they hang onto all their assets? Do they go for it all now and ship off their 2018 Brooklyn pick? My guess is they go for the happy medium and sign Hayward and maybe one other piece while keeping their most valuable assets.

2. Who is Cleveland going to add? This is perhaps the question of greatest suspense for me, since it seems obvious that they need to make a change and it seems even more obvious that they won't be able to do it without parting with Kevin Love.

3. Where is Chris Paul going? Everything is so Cleveland/Golden State centric that it seems people have forgotten that one of the league's best half-dozen players could be on the move. And if he goes to San Antonio...

There are a billion other unknowns. We don't know where Paul George is going, we still haven't reached the climax of the epic 'Melo/Phil stand-off, and Kyle Lowry is on the move. Hell, with the recent rumblings in Detroit, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see a blockbuster that lands Andre Drummond a new home.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's gonna be very interesting and fun to watch play out.

I was shocked by the Griffin move. They need to make some important moves, why do this now? Or at all ...

Agreed on all your things to watch, and probably a bunch more crazy stuff will probably happen we didn't even foresee. Hopefully anyway.

Reaction Score
What do we think of the Lopez/Russell swap? I'm assuming this was cap related on the part of the Lakers? Seems like a great move for Brooklyn on the surface.

Edit: And most importantly, does this mean LeBron's going to the Lakers next summer?

Reaction Score
What do we think of the Lopez/Russell swap? I'm assuming this was cap related on the part of the Lakers? Seems like a great move for Brooklyn on the surface.

Edit: And most importantly, does this mean LeBron's going to the Lakers next summer?

Good move for both teams, even though its pathetic that LAL even put themselves in the Mosgov situation. Listening to the Lowe Post today its pretty clear their front office didn't think especially high of Russell and his character. And yea, I do expect LAL to land George and probably Lebron/maybe Westbrook in 2018.

I think the writing was on the wall for Griffin leaving. Woj has been mentioning this for weeks so it wasn't a shocker at all. Gilbert is a joke and takes the role of a GM for granted. That spiteful twerp is going to get what he deserves when Lebron leaves again.

Reaction Score

I don't think it means LeBron goes there, but the Lakers will get someone big next year. I like the trade for both teams. The Nets take on salary they can easily afford and get a young player to build around while only giving up a late 1st.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Does Dwight Howard have anything left? He's had success with Clifford before and I'd love to see this work for Charlotte but eh....

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Still think Cleveland somehow gets PG13 for this year, and then both LeBron & PG head to the Clippers next year.

Also, poor Kemba now has to play with Dwight Howard :(

Reaction Score
2. Who is Cleveland going to add? This is perhaps the question of greatest suspense for me, since it seems obvious that they need to make a change and it seems even more obvious that they won't be able to do it without parting with Kevin Love.
I have mixed feelings about K. Love. He brings a lot - rebounding, outlet passing, 3 point shooting - but he leaves a lot - gets cold/disappears, poor defense at times. I'm not sure swapping him for P George or Butler makes them that much better, but it's clear that a move of some kind has to be made if they want one more shot at GS. Durant made GS better, but not by a "durant" amount. They are beatable. Just gotta find the right piece and hope everybody stays healthy. The big guy breaking his leg may have made a difference - hard to say.

Reaction Score
Still think Cleveland somehow gets PG13 for this year, and then both LeBron & PG head to the Clippers next year.

Drummond to Phoenix please.

Reaction Score

Dwight is a GREAT player for Kemba to have. Can at least feed someone inside now and pick and roll could be deadly.

Reaction Score
Dwight is a GREAT player for Kemba to have. Can at least feed someone inside now and pick and roll could be deadly.

I think this is a very good pick up for the Hornets. I'm not so sure I would feed him inside, but you are spot on about the pNr. Plumlee is a bad contract on the books for 3 more years (like Dwight) and Dwight is a difficult presence in the locker room but he was actually good this year. This is the type of move a capped out team without many assets has to make and when your goal is simply to get into the playoffs, this appears to be a good move.

Reaction Score

I think this is a very good pick up for the Hornets. I'm not so sure I would feed him inside, but you are spot on about the pNr. Plumlee is a bad contract on the books for 3 more years (like Dwight) and Dwight is a difficult presence in the locker room but he was actually good this year. This is the type of move a capped out team without many assets has to make and when your goal is simply to get into the playoffs, this appears to be a good move.

It's a shame too given Kemba has one of the best contracts in the league.

But yeah, one would think their starting five will at least have the makings of an elite defense with Dwight in the fold. You have a lot of versatility on the wing between Batum/Kidd-Gilchrist/Williams and if Lamb ever figures it out you can add him to that list. It's a unit awfully thin on shooting though and there's no guarantee Kemba is going to repeat his career year.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to the Dwight trade is that Atlanta go fleeced. Charlotte sheds its worst contract, gets Dwight, and moves up 10 spots. Atlanta clearly values Dwight as a negative at this point. I am just pumped that it looks like Lamb will have more playing time with Belinelli gone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
but it's clear that a move of some kind has to be made if they want one more shot at GS. Durant made GS better, but not by a "durant" amount. They are beatable. Just gotta find the right piece and hope everybody stays healthy. The big guy breaking his leg may have made a difference - hard to say.

Where are you seeing that? They barely looked even challenged the entire playoffs. If they stay healthy...

Reaction Score
Where are you seeing that? They barely looked even challenged the entire playoffs. If they stay healthy...

To me, the first thing you're gonna need to beat them is a top end center. A Jordan, a Gobert, even a Drummond. This years Warriors weren't beatable, but last years were, and I think that's because there were a select handful of players - Westbrook, Durant, LeBron - who could overpower them physically and athletically. That gap swung the other way when Durant signed with Golden State and with LeBron set to turn 33 in December, Cleveland is losing the freak of nature battle.

Interestingly, Jordan appears to be available Sources: Clips explore DeAndre Jordan trade:

It seems unlikely Cleveland could put together a package that entices the Clips, but looking at Cleveland's roster needs, a guy like Jordan would be higher on my board than George or Butler. Surround Kyrie and LeBron with a menacing rim-runner and two 3 and D guys and you're really looking at something.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
To me, the first thing you're gonna need to beat them is a top end center. A Jordan, a Gobert, even a Drummond. This years Warriors weren't beatable, but last years were, and I think that's because there were a select handful of players - Westbrook, Durant, LeBron - who could overpower them physically and athletically. That gap swung the other way when Durant signed with Golden State and with LeBron set to turn 33 in December, Cleveland is losing the freak of nature battle.

Interestingly, Jordan appears to be available Sources: Clips explore DeAndre Jordan trade:

It seems unlikely Cleveland could put together a package that entices the Clips, but looking at Cleveland's roster needs, a guy like Jordan would be higher on my board than George or Butler. Surround Kyrie and LeBron with a menacing rim-runner and two 3 and D guys and you're really looking at something.
I agree with you champ. Teams aren't going to beat the Warriors trying to load up on the wings and run with them. They have the 3 best shooters in the world and 2 of them play both ways. You have to beat them in the paint. Need a center that can attack that weakness and play inside out. Slow the game down.

With that being said, an addition of Deandre Jordan to the Cavs would be very beneficial. Him, Andre Drummond, Jahlil Okafor, even one of the stash bros in OKC. There seems to be a resurgence of quality centers in todays league though. They're just in the wrong places. (Andre Drummond, Brook Lopez when in BKN, Jahlil Okafor, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Hasaan Whiteside, etc.) So much talent in places with no great perimeter players.

Reaction Score
Cavs were up 8 or something with a few minutes to go in game 3.
Cavs won game 4.

That is "beatable." Please don't confuse that with "likely to be beat."

I think the Cavs are 1/2 a piece from making it interesting. I think they needed just one more good defender.

If I was them, I'd be searching low and high for a guy that can slow Durant down and get LBJ off of him. Need a Dennis Rodman type guy.

I never was a fan of Tristan Thompson. Guy is a hard worker, but slow, and always looks like he's working with a high ping and some lag on defense.

Reaction Score

If the Celtics add PG13 and Hayward without giving up too much they absolutely will make a run at the Cavs next year. For Cavs seems like trading Love for equal player is unlikely so getting 2-3 contributors even if more versatile and suited for today's game isn't going to help them beat the Warriors. Seems like Dejavu of LeBron's last lame duck season and abrupt exit from handicapped Cleveland roster.

I want Chris Paul to go to the Spurs, but I don't he can turn down the Clips money even if Blake leaves.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the Celtics add PG13 and Hayward without giving up too much they absolutely will make a run at the Cavs next year. For Cavs seems like trading Love for equal player is unlikely so getting 2-3 contributors even if more versatile and suited for today's game isn't going to help them beat the Warriors. Seems like Dejavu of LeBron's last lame duck season and abrupt exit from handicapped Cleveland roster.

I want Chris Paul to go to the Spurs, but I don't he can turn down the Clips money even if Blake leaves.

Danny needs to keep the Brooklyn and sixer picks.

And hell no to Paul in SA. I'd rather just have the warriors stomp everyone again than the tankers have a chance (yes I'm still bitter about 97).

Reaction Score
Hallelulah! Phil is gone. I wish they would completely overhaul the front office but Dolan unfortunately has too many cronies on the inside. They need to let the Mills of the world go and develop their own process.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul to the Rockets for Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, and Sam Dekkar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom