OT - NBA off-season thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - NBA off-season thread

Reaction Score
Cp3, harden, ariza, Anderson, capela ... that's an extremely potent line up. Eric Gordon off the bench too , I think that team wins 60 games. I would probably slide ariza over to the 4 in crunch time.

Reaction Score
I don't think this moves the needle much and I say that as someone who is as big a Chris Paul fan as you'll find. Paul and Harden isn't a great fit and I don't love their roster outside of that. Think he would have had a better chance winning in LA.

Reaction Score
I don't think it moves the needle much because the GSW exist. I think this Houston team is better than anything the clippers could have scrapped together next year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The issue here will be which James Harden shows up in the playoffs. The regular season ceases to matter in the NBA.

Reaction Score
More of the same for us suffering Knick fans. Phil Jackson earned 50k per day or a cool 60 million of Dolan cash during his reign. Part of me is actually happy Dolan got fleeced.

The statement by the Knicks where they agreed to separate since the Knicks are "going in a different direction" was another Dolan lie since they seem to still amazingly be heading downward.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Phil Jackson leaving is FANTASTIC news for Knicks fans. They guy cant stay awake for workouts. He consistently badmouths the star players on the team. He gave Noah a TERRIBLE contract. He tries to coach the team from afar insisting on the triangle, undermining Hornacek.

If Dolan gets Ujiri and gives him full control that'd be an amazing hire.

Reaction Score
Just not trying to shove a square beg in a round hole with that damn triangle offense alone makes me excited. I think Phil let ego get in the way of his decisions too much in NY. Ego played in the Melo and Prozy drama. I dont think he was making good decisions for the team. I couldnt careless if we keep melo and stink for a few more seasons while his contract runs out. Kristaps continues to develop. We'll bring along Frank now. We can start searching for more quality role players while collecting high draft picks and freeing cap space. In 3 -4 years we could have some amazing young talent and cap space to sign some top level talent. That wasnt going to happen with Phil, hopefully whoever comes in thinks more along those lines.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Phil Jackson looks good when surrounded by HoFs and All Stars

Reaction Score
Phil Jackson leaving is FANTASTIC news for Knicks fans. They guy cant stay awake for workouts. He consistently badmouths the star players on the team. He gave Noah a TERRIBLE contract. He tries to coach the team from afar insisting on the triangle, undermining Hornacek.

Problem I have with the above optimism is it's the Knicks. Dolan will probably hire Isiah Thomas back....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jackson wasn't the problem, but he wasn't the solution, either.

Reaction Score
Firing Phil immediately after the draft is dumb timing only trumped by Cleveland's dumber timing of firing their GM just before the draft (when they were trying to make a trade). For Phil leaving after the endless Carmelo trade speculation & then Phil himself floating Porzingis rumors is like leaving a turd in the bowl. The least Phil could have done is flush Carmelo as he left the room.

Reaction Score
It was weird to fire Jackson immediately after the NBA Draft since it was likely Jackson's fingerprints on picking Ntilikina over Dennis Smith Jr (who I wanted) or Malik Monk. If he was fired back in, perhaps, April, that would have given the Knicks time to think of an exit strategy before entering the offseason. Now, they are scrambling to clean up the dust before free agency starts, which is weird timing.

However, as a Knicks fan, I'm glad Phil is gone. I still think the Knicks aren't a playoff team next year, but at least they have a happier Carmelo and KP. Here are my offseason keys:

1) DO NOT sign Rose
2) Keep Melo and KP.
3) Sign Teague
4) DO NOT trade your next two 1st round picks

With Teague, their depth is not bad at all:

5- Hernangomez, Noah
4- Porzingis, O'Quinn, Thomas
3- Anthony, Kuzminskas, Ndour
2- Lee, Baker
1- Teague, Ntilikina, Randle

Reaction Score
Phil absolutely had to go but he did more good here than people give him credit for, even if we're grading on a curve given the Knicks recent history. Some NY media members saying he was a worse executive than Zeke is ridiculous. The way he publicly treated Melo was bad enough but the KP stuff last week was so egregious. Nothing but petty, ego-driven behavior. Once you alienate the future of your franchise it's time to leave.

Moving forward, bringing in Tim Leiweke to assist with the next GM hiring is an underrated development. Dolan made a big step forward by giving Phil complete control. The organization should take its next step under the guidance of Leiweke - bringing in an executive who understands and embraces the modern NBA. Ujiri or someone from the GSW or SAS family will probably be hired. Ujiri is fine but we better not give up any assets for him.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Is there any owner that gets robbed more than Dolan? It seems like he's constantly paying people ridiculous amounts of money after disastrous job performance.

Reaction Score
It was weird to fire Jackson immediately after the NBA Draft since it was likely Jackson's fingerprints on picking Ntilikina over Dennis Smith Jr (who I wanted) or Malik Monk. If he was fired back in, perhaps, April, that would have given the Knicks time to think of an exit strategy before entering the offseason. Now, they are scrambling to clean up the dust before free agency starts, which is weird timing.

A lot of Knick fans wanted Smith Jr but I think Frank will work out long term. I'm hoping we just drafted the point guard version of Kawhi Leonard. Smith Jr sounds like the exact type of player our fanbase is fed up with - selfish and an awful defender with motor problems. Not to mention his knee. Frank will probably never be a dynamic scorer but if he turns into a 6'5 version Dennis Schroeder but a better defender then I think our fans should be thrilled. He's another kid who gets it - he's a two-way player, he's committed to the game and he's smart. He's not out here during his intro presser saying "I look forward to learning how to play defense," like Dennis Smith Jr did.

Reaction Score
Is there any owner that gets robbed more than Dolan? It seems like he's constantly paying people ridiculous amounts of money after disastrous job performance.

It's true, but $24m is a drop in the bucket to a guy like Dolan.

Reaction Score
Ehh whatever it's the Knicks they will always F it up. The second you even get slightly optimistic is the second you get let down.

Reaction Score

Would be nice but it won't happen because it's the Knicks they will hire Mills and don't think for a second Isiah is still under Dolans wing.

Reaction Score
LOL of course the just as old and just as deranged who exclusively runs a 2-3 zone has this to say

Boeheim disses triangle, wants best for Melo
Well the triangle is old and outdated and it's nice to see Boeheim stick up for a player for once. Melo can take a ton of blame for this mess but the way Jackson handled him and turned their relationship sour right off the bat was downright criminal.

Reaction Score

However, as a Knicks fan, I'm glad Phil is gone. I still think the Knicks aren't a playoff team next year, but at least they have a happier Carmelo and KP. Here are my offseason keys:

1) DO NOT sign Rose
2) Keep Melo and KP.
3) Sign Teague
4) DO NOT trade your next two 1st round picks

With Teague, their depth is not bad at all:

5- Hernangomez, Noah
4- Porzingis, O'Quinn, Thomas
3- Anthony, Kuzminskas, Ndour
2- Lee, Baker
1- Teague, Ntilikina, Randle
Sorry if one of your keys is to keep Carmelo Anthony your not watching the correct game.

He is the worst and the last person you want around young talent, true cancer.

Reaction Score
Cavs were up 8 or something with a few minutes to go in game 3.
Cavs won game 4.

That is "beatable." Please don't confuse that with "likely to be beat."

I think the Cavs are 1/2 a piece from making it interesting. I think they needed just one more good defender.

If I was them, I'd be searching low and high for a guy that can slow Durant down and get LBJ off of him. Need a Dennis Rodman type guy.

I never was a fan of Tristan Thompson. Guy is a hard worker, but slow, and always looks like he's working with a high ping and some lag on defense.

LBJ was never even on Durant in the finals, the hell are you talking about?

Adding a guy like DeAndre Jordan isn't the answer for the Cavs, he's not going to be defending the perimeter from all that shooting and he's not good enough in the post to go to for easy buckets, and he's such a liability from the line that GSW can just play hack ball and keep the ball out of LeBron or Kyrie's hands. Cavs are 100% right to try and get a guy like George, they desperately need another guy who can create offensively and allow LeBron to not have to play 46 minutes to give his team a shot. Cavs offense devolved into Lebron/Kyrie iso ball, the team could desperately use George for his 2 way play, athleticism, and ability to create his own shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom