OT: NBA Finals | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not when it comes to winning championships. It is a critical mental skill.

It isn't some innate characteristic, it is a word that often tends to be applied in hindsight to rationalize what happened as something more romantic than it was in reality.

I can point to a ton of examples of LeBron being "clutch" and you can do the opposite. Not sure it means anything in the end other than that when you play on the big stage long enough, you're going to win some and lose some.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ollie's name is in lights there. How cool is that?

Reaction Score
It isn't some innate characteristic, it is a word that often tends to be applied in hindsight to rationalize what happened as something more romantic than it was in reality.

I can point to a ton of examples of LeBron being "clutch" and you can do the opposite. Not sure it means anything in the end other than that when you play on the big stage long enough, you're going to win some and lose some.

Champs we all know what clutch means. And every sports fan knows that
Some guys come up big when it matters more often than not and some don't. Historically lebron has had a lot of "un-clutch" moments. That doesn't mean he's never been clutch or hasn't come up big plenty of times. But if you look at the body of work of his entire career he definitely underperforms in big moments relative to how he usually plays. Just look at a number of his finals performances, notably 07 and his first one with Miami.

Even this series. In game 1 he was unstoppable for the first 45 min. Then the last 3 of regulation and 5 in ot he finished like 1-15. Same thing in game 2. He finished like 4 for his last 18 or something. He also missed the game winner in both and was like 0-10 on shots when it was tied and it would've meant the lead. Could be because he was tired. Sure. But that's a big variation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lebron's legacy is cemented from this series win or lose.

Cleveland doesn't have any business being in any of these games. It is series solely because of his brilliance.

Reaction Score
The rest of the Cavaliers are proving they were underrated.

As for clutch, free throw attempts missed.

Reaction Score
Still think Curry is being too passive. Cleveland has no answer for those Curry ball screens - either they switch it or they trap and compromise their structural integrity.

On the other end...Shumpert and J.R. Smith are going to have to make shots eventually.

Reaction Score
If you look at James' numbers in the final few minutes of playoff games he's about as good as anybody out there, I believe. He doesn't really stand out either way. I think the majority of guys play as well in "clutch moments" as they do the rest of the time. Then you have guys like Shabazz, whose crunch time plays and overtime numbers simply can't be ignored.

Reaction Score
HuskiesAllDay said:
Champs we all know what clutch means. And every sports fan knows that Some guys come up big when it matters more often than not and some don't. Historically lebron has had a lot of "un-clutch" moments. That doesn't mean he's never been clutch or hasn't come up big plenty of times. But if you look at the body of work of his entire career he definitely underperforms in big moments relative to how he usually plays. Just look at a number of his finals performances, notably 07 and his first one with Miami. Even this series. In game 1 he was unstoppable for the first 45 min. Then the last 3 of regulation and 5 in ot he finished like 1-15. Same thing in game 2. He finished like 4 for his last 18 or something. He also missed the game winner in both and was like 0-10 on shots when it was tied and it would've meant the lead. Could be because he was tired. Sure. But that's a big variation.

He was still really young in 07 - shouldn't count for much when evaluating his career.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
LBJ hasn't seemed the same since whacking his head. wonder if they ever gave him a concussion test? I would think they had to, right?

Reaction Score
LBJ hasn't seemed the same since whacking his head. wonder if they ever gave him a concussion test? I would think they had to, right?
He wasn't really playing all that well before that though

Reaction Score
Delly, Smith, Jones, and Shumpert went 3 for 22 from 3. LBJ was getting doubled on drives, and he was finding open shooters. Guy finishes with 20/12/8 notwithstanding head injury and horrible play of teammates. Playing huge minutes. 3rd game 6 nights playing all but a few minutes, handling the ball as point much of the time. Guy on boneyard calls him out. Jesus.

Reaction Score
Well Lebron does need some help, he is human after all. GS is the better team even with a healthy Love and Kyrie, what we saw tonight is what most people were fearing. Do you expect an undrafted guy like Delavedova to outscore Curry again. JR smith and Shumpert need to step up for the Cavs to get 2 more wins. Remember when everyone was bashing Curry now it will be Lebron bashing for 2 days. Its a series of adjustments, Kerr and Gentry had a game plan that worked to perfection tonight.

Reaction Score
If you look at James' numbers in the final few minutes of playoff games he's about as good as anybody out there, I believe. He doesn't really stand out either way. I think the majority of guys play as well in "clutch moments" as they do the rest of the time. Then you have guys like Shabazz, whose crunch time plays and overtime numbers simply can't be ignored.

With all due respect to Shabazz you really aren't comparing him to Lebron are you.

Reaction Score
A fine example of going Full R3t@rd.

Really jacka**. Then how do you explain him being on fire and then shooting 5-32 in the final three minutes plus ot of both games one and two? And going 0-10 or so on go ahead shots when it was tied in the final two minutes? You don't consider that vastly underperforming relative to what he normally does?

You are blatantly the biggest lebron homer on this board. I never said he sucked or wasn't clutch. But go ahead and explain those numbers. Along with a ton of other examples on his career.

Reaction Score
and when steph curry nails a three, stands still like a statue on the court for 3 seconds and kisses the sky every time, he's a class act :rolleyes:
Yeah imagine if LeBron ran down the court doing some Chef Curry every time he made a basket

Reaction Score
Delly, Smith, Jones, and Shumpert went 3 for 22 from 3. LBJ was getting doubled on drives, and he was finding open shooters. Guy finishes with 20/12/8 notwithstanding head injury and horrible play of teammates. Playing huge minutes. 3rd game 6 nights playing all but a few minutes, handling the ball as point much of the time. Guy on boneyard calls him out. Jesus.

Go jerk off to some lebron clips already. I'm sure you already have tonight

Reaction Score
Please tell me you're 16 or something otherwise.... just wow. And you already have a history here as well.

And what history is that?

Go read his posts this entire postseason and try to tell me he doesn't have a hard on for lebron. Go ahead.

Reaction Score
And what history is that?

Go read his posts this entire postseason and try to tell me he doesn't have a hard on for lebron. Go ahead.
One of being a massive , which you're just perpetuating ITT by saying certain people have hardons/jack off to LeBron. Reminds me of people would talk in high school. Grow up, son.

Reaction Score
Champs we all know what clutch means. And every sports fan knows that
Some guys come up big when it matters more often than not and some don't. Historically lebron has had a lot of "un-clutch" moments. That doesn't mean he's never been clutch or hasn't come up big plenty of times. But if you look at the body of work of his entire career he definitely underperforms in big moments relative to how he usually plays. Just look at a number of his finals performances, notably 07 and his first one with Miami.

Even this series. In game 1 he was unstoppable for the first 45 min. Then the last 3 of regulation and 5 in ot he finished like 1-15. Same thing in game 2. He finished like 4 for his last 18 or something. He also missed the game winner in both and was like 0-10 on shots when it was tied and it would've meant the lead. Could be because he was tired. Sure. But that's a big variation.

I would like to see some statistical data on LeBron's performance in the fourth quarter/overtime of playoff games compared to his play in mid-leverage situations before I cosign on the narrative that LeBron doesn't meet some arbitrary clutch threshold. From the studies I have seen, the numbers have indicated quite the opposite - that he's extremely effective in high leverage situations - but I'm open to revisiting my stance.

I don't intend to insinuate that "clutch" is completely non-existent. There is obviously a certain type of athlete that embraces the big moment, and thus is more apt to thrive in them. We've been fortunate to have a lot of those guys in Husky blue over the last few decades. But I also think there is a point of no return where it becomes a black-or-white concept rather than a matter of degree - I don't think a guy just wakes up clutch one day and goes to bed not clutch because he missed some shots. There are a multitude of variables that contribute to the performance of athletes - with statistical randomness and deviation being among them - that I feel we conveniently conflate with "clutch" in the name of creating more compelling storylines.

Reaction Score
I would like to see some statistical data on LeBron's performance in the fourth quarter/overtime of playoff games compared to his play in mid-leverage situations before I cosign on the narrative that LeBron doesn't meet some arbitrary clutch threshold. From the studies I have seen, the numbers have indicated quite the opposite - that he's extremely effective in high leverage situations - but I'm open to revisiting my stance.

I don't intend to insinuate that "clutch" is completely non-existent. There is obviously a certain type of athlete that embraces the big moment, and thus is more apt to thrive in them. We've been fortunate to have a lot of those guys in Husky blue over the last few decades. But I also think there is a point of no return where it becomes a black-or-white concept rather than a matter of degree - I don't think a guy just wakes up clutch one day and goes to bed not clutch because he missed some shots. There are a multitude of variables that contribute to the performance of athletes - with statistical randomness and deviation being among them - that I feel we conveniently conflate with "clutch" in the name of creating more compelling storylines.

There is also the view that clutch has a lot to do with being known as a shooter. Big men/ men whose game revolves around the post are not usually referred to as clutch, because to the naked eye, what is so "big moment and difficult" about doing a drop step layup or a drive to the basket from the free throw line? Clearly LeBron isn't a deadly shooter, which makes the non-clutch argument very easy for people to stand behind. But in crunch time, I highly doubt many people choose anyone but LeBron to ride and die with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom