OT: NBA Finals | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does nobody mention the fact that the two dudes in @Kembacity 's avatar constantly flopped and sold calls? Should we boycott them, too? LeBron flops but he's not sold on Harden? What? Harden's entire offensive game is predicated on drawing fouls. Ever watched Chris Paul play?

Hey, I'm not going to pretend that there aren't players I dislike for irrational reasons. Name a guy that went to Duke or Syracuse and I probably have a perfectly good reason to dislike them. Tyus Jones? Serial flopper. Kyrie Irving? Uh, he's kind of annoying, I guess. The bottom line is if you're predisposed to disliking somebody you're going to find a reason to dislike them. If you dislike LeBron, fine - I like him, but I'm also not his biggest fan. Just don't pretend that you dislike them for a particular reason when you put up with them with other players.
I pointed this out to a fan who was going nuts on here over Curry getting his defender in the air twice with pump fakes in game 1 overtime and drawing the fouls. How a UConn fan can go crazy over this after watching Kemba and Shabazz is beyond me.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
How does nobody mention the fact that the two dudes in @Kembacity 's avatar constantly flopped and sold calls? Should we boycott them, too? LeBron flops but he's not sold on Harden? What? Harden's entire offensive game is predicated on drawing fouls. Ever watched Chris Paul play? Hey, I'm not going to pretend that there aren't players I dislike for irrational reasons. Name a guy that went to Duke or Syracuse and I probably have a perfectly good reason to dislike them. Tyus Jones? Serial flopper. Kyrie Irving? Uh, he's kind of annoying, I guess. The bottom line is if you're predisposed to disliking somebody you're going to find a reason to dislike them. If you dislike LeBron, fine - I like him, but I'm also not his biggest fan. Just don't pretend that you dislike them for a particular reason when you put up with them with other players.

I disliked LeBron from 2007-12, liked him a lot in 2013-14, and now am indifferent (ie - the difference between being in Rip or Ray's way, playing with Ray, and now not effecting a UConn guy one way or the other). But people root against the best guy all the time - Bird had haters, Jordan had plenty, Kobe had plenty. Jeter, ARod, Brady, Serena, Tiger, McEnroe, etc. it comes with the territory of being on top. A few reach rarified air of being great without a lot of haters (Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Magic, Federer, Ken Griffey Jr., Jack Nicklaus) - either due to a likable personality or a milquetoast one. Without the decision, I think LBJ would be pretty close to that second group. There isn't much about him not to like overall.

I think Rich Man 's Magic was a great term for him, and Magic is a top 10 guy all time. I think he's already No. 2 on my GOAT list (didn't see Russell, but somewhat hard to compare a big man/defensive anchor to versatile perimeter guys anyway). He's got a tough climb past Jordan in my mind, but it's not impossible.

Reaction Score
I love the grit and tenacity that the Cavs have been playing with in these finals, in spite of losing two all stars during the playoffs (Love and Irving). The Cavs are playing at 110% right now, while Golden State is playing like a team that expects to play in more NBA Finals down the road. Once Irving went down, I thought that the Cavs were cooked because of the shear depth and talent the Warriors possess over Cleveland.
LeBron has absolutely put the team on his back, and his play has elevated the rest of the lineup, so much that they are getting unbelievable minutes from guys like Dellavedova, Thompson, Mozgov etc. I'm starting to believe that LeBron might actually pull this off, and if he does, it has to go down in history as the greatest performance by any single player in NBA Finals history

Reaction Score
Also, I'm pulling for Cleveland to finally win a championship. Knowing what that city and those fans have gone through, it would be nice to see them finally raise a banner after all these years

Reaction Score
I disliked LeBron from 2007-12, liked him a lot in 2013-14, and now am indifferent (ie - the difference between being in Rip or Ray's way, playing with Ray, and now not effecting a UConn guy one way or the other). But people root against the best guy all the time - Bird had haters, Jordan had plenty, Kobe had plenty. Jeter, ARod, Brady, Serena, Tiger, McEnroe, etc. it comes with the territory of being on top. A few reach rarified air of being great without a lot of haters (Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Magic, Federer, Ken Griffey Jr., Jack Nicklaus) - either due to a likable personality or a milquetoast one. Without the decision, I think LBJ would be pretty close to that second group. There isn't much about him not to like overall.

I think Rich Man 's Magic was a great term for him, and Magic is a top 10 guy all time. I think he's already No. 2 on my GOAT list (didn't see Russell, but somewhat hard to compare a big man/defensive anchor to versatile perimeter guys anyway). He's got a tough climb past Jordan in my mind, but it's not impossible.

Jack Nicklaus caught absolute hell early in his career from fans who were angry that he would dare challenge Arnold Palmer's status as the world's greatest golfer.

Reaction Score
Jack Nicklaus caught absolute hell early in his career from fans who were angry that he would dare challenge Arnold Palmer's status as the world's greatest golfer.

There were plenty of people who hated Griffey, too. I remember the 'back in my day' horse that I heard after he had the audacity to wear his cap backwards during the home run derby. If you're awesome, famous, and black, there are always going to be people who hate you.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What's funny is how everyone about the NBA being a boring brand with no defense and lazy players. Then you get a guy like deladova who competes for every loose ball, is a complete ball of effort and energy and all of the sudden he's a "dirty" player who dives at legs.

Reaction Score
What's funny is how everyone about the NBA being a boring brand with no defense and lazy players. Then you get a guy like deladova who competes for every loose ball, is a complete ball of effort and energy and all of the sudden he's a "dirty" player who dives at legs.
...and the people who say this say this are idiots.

Reaction Score
A10 fan said:

Fair point - I only remember him on the back end of his career when it seemed like everyone pulled for him. But I have heard about those early years now that you jar my memory.

Reaction Score
The game 4 adjustments will be interesting. I think GSW should start Lee over Green. Green has demonstrated he can't play against bigger players in a 1/2 court game and he obviously can't play Bron. Unless the game is wide open Green is completely ineffective.

Lee isn't a great defender, but can produce some offensive results and improve their spacing.

Reaction Score
"Lebron vs efficiency " is really the argument taking over the finals. This I do not understand ; bet he has a blisterin PER. He rebounds and "produces points" at godly efficient level.clevelands style is so jarring for the media, yet for me their offense seems dictated by their talent level . You can't 'spurs pace n space " if your second and third best players are delly +tt.

Reaction Score
Sorry to blither, but maybe 'cut corners' is the wrong phrase, its mainly the flopping. Superstars cant flop.

Can everyone who is so far up Lebrons rectum list for me all of the NBA superstars who flop, or let me say cheat instead. I think Harden plays like a dirtbag at times, but I'm not completely sure on flopping

If he wants to be the best, he should play like it. He should be above any sort of trickery and the flopping epidemic to me was a slap in the face of any basketball fans. Anyone who loves the game should want to see these guys getting paid obscene money respecting it, rather than treating the fact that its called by humans who are subject to human error as a loophole to get an edge any moment they think they can

So he flops, fine, whatever, but what set it over the top for me was his constant claims that he has never and will never flop. I don't like liars who lie for no reason. So I without a doubt respect his talent and unbelievable athleticism, but I strongly dislike the person underneath it all. I simply don't agree with the choices he makes off the court

this is an example of a terrible post

Reaction Score
"Lebron vs efficiency " is really the argument taking over the finals. This I do not understand ; bet he has a blisterin PER. He rebounds and "produces points" at godly efficient level.clevelands style is so jarring for the media, yet for me their offense seems dictated by their talent level . You can't 'spurs pace n space " if your second and third best players are delly +tt.
Really??? He's not shooting well but I think everyone knows his fingerprints are on everything the Cavs do and they have been controlling the series.

Reaction Score
...and the people who say this say this are idiots.

Why are they idiots because they view the NBA game differently than you? Someone else's opinion of the game sucks because only the way you see it is right? What total BS that is.

While I think people are nuts to watch any NBA gam in full I do understand their perception of the best players on earth on the court is what it is. That's you, I'm happy for you! I would rather watch Game of Thrones if college basketball is done. Pretty simple but the good news is I know Im not an idiot for my preference. I'm an idiot in many other ways mind you but not wanting to watch the NBA isn't one of them at all.

Reaction Score
Why are they idiots because they view the NBA game differently than you? Someone else's opinion of the game sucks because only the way you see it is right? What total BS that is.

While I think people are nuts to watch any NBA gam in full I do understand their perception of the best players on earth on the court is what it is. That's you, I'm happy for you! I would rather watch Game of Thrones if college basketball is done. Pretty simple but the good news is I know Im not an idiot for my preference. I'm an idiot in many other ways mind you but not wanting to watch the NBA isn't one of them at all.
You have the right to not like the NBA, but if your reasons are wrong (no defense? lazy players?) then you deserve criticism.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for you! I would rather watch Game of Thrones if college basketball is done. I'm an idiot in many other ways mind you but not wanting to watch the NBA isn't one of them at all.

Mau you should try and sacrifice tonight and perhaps another two nights. I share your NBA sentiments and I never watch the NBA either but this series is fascinating and perhaps historic. There is a story line much better than GOT. Its one Man against the best team of the season containg the MVP. This one man has a depleted squad comprised of castaways and a rookie coach. His goal is to bring a city a Championship, its first since 1960 something. There is real drama here.

These guys are going to the hospital after the game because of exhaustion and exertion. Its not your typical NBA game or series for that matter. I think that you will not regret watching tonight, then come July enjoy the summer and wait for UConn bball, and put the NBA on the shelf again, like I'm going to do.

Its a can't miss series and one for the record books, well worth the sacrifice for a couple of hours. Not to be overly dramatic or to over sell, but people will be talking about this for a lifetime if 'HE' pulls this off. Its the stuff we grew up on and I'm sure kids are tuned in.

Lastly I love college basketball and only college basketball, however this series is the best bball I've seen in decades equalling UConn Tournament ball.

Anyway its just a suggestion.

Reaction Score
You have the right to not like the NBA, but if your reasons are wrong (no defense? lazy players?) then you deserve criticism.

Those aren't my reasons and honestly I am unsure why the interest has waned over the years although even in Magic-Bird years it wasn't close to college hoops for me at least. I would agree during the regular season guys take games off and plays off a lot more than anyone would be willing to admit but I've seen enough in these playoffs to see otherwise. They aren't lazy and while their defense isn't great all year a lot has to do with how good these guys are I get that, to a point. Suddenly there a Della who can make Curry's life a living hell but no one else had one of those guys on their teams all year? Hmmmm.

Again it;s the best in the world, but more than 3-4 minutes in a row and I'm on to other shows or baseball. Just me.

Reaction Score
Mau you should try and sacrifice tonight and perhaps another two nights. I share your NBA sentiments and I never watch the NBA either but this series is fascinating and perhaps historic. There is a story line much better than GOT. Its one Man against the best team of the season containg the MVP. This one man has a depleted squad comprised of castaways and a rookie coach. His goal is to bring a city a Championship, its first since 1960 something. There is real drama here.

These guys are going to the hospital after the game because of exhaustion and exertion. Its not your typical NBA game or series for that matter. I think that you will not regret watching tonight, then come July enjoy the summer and wait for UConn bball, and put the NBA on the shelf again, like I'm going to do.

Its a can't miss series and one for the record books, well worth the sacrifice for a couple of hours. Not to be overly dramatic or to over sell, but people will be talking about this for a lifetime if 'HE' pulls this off. Its the stuff we grew up on and I'm sure kids are tuned in.

Lastly I love college basketball and only college basketball, however this series is the best bball I've seen in decades equalling UConn Tournament ball.

I've tried and it has been great. But it's because it's 2 teams that aren't that great and that's annoying to me. They have GREAT players and do great things, they are playing their ball sacs off too I get that. But a good Major Crimes has me watching more intently than this. I guess that makes me an idiot huh? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

You are absolutely correct in this being a series "for the record books" that will be talked about forever if LBJ pulls it off. I've never seen a player who single handedly makes his team a serious title contender. I don't believe even MJ could do for this team what LBJ does, yet LBJ would never lose with Jordan's teams (criticism and challenges accepted). I'm a huge LeBron supporter and always will be. HOWEVER, you cannot tell me this is a fun series to watch. For the last quarter of each game the Cavs play 1 high 4 low, drain 16 seconds off the shot clock and then see what LBJ can do. It is frustrating to watch the lack of ball movement, the petty fouls that are all the more glaring when no one is moving around and the bad shots that are forced 2 out of every 3 possessions. Then GS runs down, chucks up a quick shot and its done all over again. Its painful. These players are "all world," but I (along with many others I assume) would rather be watching a Spurs v. Hawks type of game.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES.

Reaction Score
you cannot tell me this is a fun series to watch.
I have found it absolutely riveting. Two OTs, 3rd game within 1 point with 2 minutes left. Tremendous performances by LeBron (all 3) and Curry (game 3). Cleveland's desperation for a title. GSWs drought. What do you want? Clowns with knives on court?

Reaction Score
Its crazy to sit and say they 'aren't trying' or 'don't play defense' in the NBA let alone in the playoffs, I always hate when you hear this complaint, and even when I'm not watching the NBA I don't pretend its because the players aren't giving it their all.

Even my fiancé while we watched game 3 stated out of nowhere, "the level of effort and athleticism is like unbelievable" and she watches with me but she is still coming along in terms of understanding what is going on and how difficult a move or shot is when she sees a player attempt it. It was so rewarding to me to hear her understand that yes, these guys are some of the best athletes on the planet and they are truly putting it all out on the court, risking injury every time they step on the court with Matthew Dellavedova on the other team

Reaction Score
Those aren't my reasons and honestly I am unsure why the interest has waned over the years although even in Magic-Bird years it wasn't close to college hoops for me at least. I would agree during the regular season guys take games off and plays off a lot more than anyone would be willing to admit but I've seen enough in these playoffs to see otherwise. They aren't lazy and while their defense isn't great all year a lot has to do with how good these guys are I get that, to a point. Suddenly there a Della who can make Curry's life a living hell but no one else had one of those guys on their teams all year? Hmmmm.

Again it;s the best in the world, but more than 3-4 minutes in a row and I'm on to other shows or baseball. Just me.
If your reasons for not liking the NBA have nothing to do with non defense or guys not playing hard, then why the overly emotional response projecting your hurt feelings? I made it clear in my response to another poster what I was responding to by bolding it, if its that hard for you to grasp then you should sit this one out.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Just want to point out the inelegance of the phrasing here: It is acceptable to criticize ideas; it is unacceptable to criticize people. (At least in this context) That is, you may point out flaws the person's perceptions to demonstrate where the logic process is flawed. However, when you criticize the person, then the argument you proffer becomes ad hominem, which is a logical fallacy.
And Van Gundy does a pretty good job of pointing out many of the flaws in an NBA game during his commentary. I especially like his observations on off-the-ball fouls prior to two minutes left and after 2 minutes left. The rule is a joke, it gives an undeserved advantage to the team that fouls, which defeats the entire purpose of calling fouls (namely penalizing teams that commit fouls).

Reaction Score
If your reasons for not liking the NBA have nothing to do with non defense or guys not playing hard, then why the overly emotional response projecting your hurt feelings? I made it clear in my response to another poster what I was responding to by bolding it, if its that hard for you to grasp then you should sit this one out.

I'm sorry ace I will "sit this one out" to make you happy. :rolleyes: Sorry to intrude and throw an opinion out there on a discussion board ace. WTF

Reaction Score
I have found it absolutely riveting. Two OTs, 3rd game within 1 point with 2 minutes left. Tremendous performances by LeBron (all 3) and Curry (game 3). Cleveland's desperation for a title. GSWs drought. What do you want? Clowns with knives on court?
No. I hate clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc