OT: NBA Finals | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're out of your mind, Cavs are outplaying Warriors in every facet of the game.

But the fatigue is starting to show. All conventional wisdom says GS should win, but convention didn't account for the best player in the world.

Reaction Score
Nah I think he has no choice but to play Lee after tonights performance, maybe the only good thing to come out of tonights loss for them is to give Lee more of the backup big minutes, they need another scorer/ playmaker out there and Lee gives em that.
Why has Lee been benched all season? Mo Speights isn't even in the same league as him as a player and outside of Draymond the rest of the frontline is offensively anemic.

Reaction Score
maybe the only good thing to come out of tonights loss for them is to give Lee more of the backup big minutes,
Um. I'd have to throw in, as a second good thing, that Curry appears to have finally realized that the finals have started.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the sort that doesn't call 911 until the house has already burned down, but I still think Golden State is going to win this series, probably in six.

To me, Steve Kerr has been outcoached in this series...but I think he figured something out towards the end of game three. So many of Golden States' possessions early in the game seemed to devolve into Curry and Thompson running around in circles trying to free themselves, but as I watched, I couldn't help but feel all they really needed to do was simplify their offense. Even though Curry ball screens haven't yielded as many points as they would have desired so far in this series, I'm still pretty comfortable with the process, and I think the corresponding results are inevitable.

Cleveland's switch-happy defense has forced Golden State into more isolation than they're comfortable with, and their rotations, for the most part, have been on point. But David Lee might be the guy who changes the series - with Cleveland's offense as stale as it is, this is one of the times where you can play him and survive his defensive shortcomings. Cleveland can't switch the 1-5 pick-and-roll with Lee in the game like they could with Bogut or even Ezeli, and he seems a lot more comfortable making reads in the middle of the court than even Green.

Ball movement is imperative to the success of Golden State in the way it is not for Cleveland, and the fact that this series feels like it has been played in a phone booth clearly benefits the Cavs. In a sense, Golden State's commitment to all of their endless pin-downs and curl screens are counter-productive because it creates an environment in which the ball is stationary while the other chess pieces move frenetically.

An other thing...we haven't seen Cleveland play from behind yet. Much like Memphis, I suspect one early-game avalanche from Golden State might be enough to hold them down for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
But the fatigue is starting to show. All conventional wisdom says GS should win, but convention didn't account for the best player in the world.
All convention would tell you the Cavs should be better with Kyrie Irving over Matthew Dellavedova in the playoffs and that clearly hasn't been the case. Conventional wisdom should have been thrown out a while ago with the Cavs, nobody expected Dellavedova and Tristan Thompson to play this way.

Reaction Score
But David Lee might be the guy who changes the series - with Cleveland's offense as stale as it is, this is one of the times where you can play him and survive his defensive shortcomings.
I have to admit, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for buying the hype that Blatt was not a good coach because of the TO mistake and the LeBron inbounds mistake in Chicago. Guy is flat out getting it done with an undermanned team. He's going to have 2 days to prepare for the "David Lee" variation. I've got a hunch that David Lee won't be as effective next game as he was this game.

Reaction Score
Two favorite plays of the game:
1. Green grabs a fistfull of shirt of Cavs player. Holds on for about 4 or 5 seconds, attempting to control the man. Whistle blown. Guy goes nuts. What? Dude, you had a commando grip on his shirt, why are you screaming at the refs.
2. Curry, going through 3 screens and around 3 or 4 Cavs to hit an impossible, crazy 3 to bring it to, three I think, with under a minute. If his mental game ever catches up to his shooting, he'll be the best scorer ever. He was clearly rattled early, and Deli was eating his lunch, but he clearly settled in late and looked unstoppable. If he can start game 4 the way he ended game 3, GS will be tough to beat.

Cavs need game 4. If the GSWs tie it back up to regain home court, the Cavs will have a hell of a time winning another one in GS.

People are putting too much emphasis on "if LeBron pulls this off, then he will be . . . ." People, he already is. The guy is single handedly keeping his team in these games. At the end, his teammates were screwing up left and right and he just stepped in and made it happen. Big shot after big shot. Couple of huge blocks tonight. Guy is in the conversation for best ever, if he never played another game, and I have no idea how he's not a consensus top 2 right now. Power dunk on baseline drive? Check. Blowby on first play of game for easy lay in? Check. Pressure 3 from deep late in game? Check. Cross court pass to Shumpert that no other player could have made? Check. Clutch free throws down the stretch? Check. Guy is the Mozart of basketball.
All those pressure end of game free throws he made trumps the other stuff. Ball is always in his hands so if he misses GSW could have stolen game 3. Just unreal.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Im rooting for Lebron its a lot easier to root for him when he's not on the Heat, I like GS and wouldn't mind if they won either, glad its a good series thus far, hope it continues.
Couldn't have said it better myself, his numbers are ridiculous. Single handedly willing Cleveland to the title at this point but if GS wins I've got no problem seeing that either.

Reaction Score
i really think green and barnes are toast. and if thats the case, this series is over. 83% of the time the winner of game 3 wins the series...

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the sort that doesn't call 911 until the house has already burned down, but I still think Golden State is going to win this series, probably in six.

To me, Steve Kerr has been outcoached in this series...but I think he figured something out towards the end of game three. So many of Golden States' possessions early in the game seemed to devolve into Curry and Thompson running around in circles trying to free themselves, but as I watched, I couldn't help but feel all they really needed to do was simplify their offense. Even though Curry ball screens haven't yielded as many points as they would have desired so far in this series, I'm still pretty comfortable with the process, and I think the corresponding results are inevitable.

Cleveland's switch-happy defense has forced Golden State into more isolation than they're comfortable with, and their rotations, for the most part, have been on point. But David Lee might be the guy who changes the series - with Cleveland's offense as stale as it is, this is one of the times where you can play him and survive his defensive shortcomings. Cleveland can't switch the 1-5 pick-and-roll with Lee in the game like they could with Bogut or even Ezeli, and he seems a lot more comfortable making reads in the middle of the court than even Green.

Ball movement is imperative to the success of Golden State in the way it is not for Cleveland, and the fact that this series feels like it has been played in a phone booth clearly benefits the Cavs. In a sense, Golden State's commitment to all of their endless pin-downs and curl screens are counter-productive because it creates an environment in which the ball is stationary while the other chess pieces move frenetically.

An other thing...we haven't seen Cleveland play from behind yet. Much like Memphis, I suspect one early-game avalanche from Golden State might be enough to hold them down for the rest of the game.
Great analysis, I'm just not sure Warriors are going to be able to play at their pace and get a big lead, seems the only way it happens is if Kerr goes small and plays Lee more minutes. Totally agree on David Lee, I've never understood why he doesn't play. He has his defensive shortcomings but he's a very good offensive player who makes quick decisions on scoring and passing and he's probably the best rebounder on the team.

Reaction Score
i really think green and barnes are toast. and if thats the case, this series is over. 83% of the time the winner of game 3 wins the series...
Is that true? 83%? That's bizarre.
On a side note, the series was over when Irving went down. But it wasn't.
This one won't be over until the buzzer sounds to end the game and one team has 4 wins. Not a moment before. If I was Blatt and we were up 20 with 5 to play my exact instructions would be: "play like the game is tied, because 20 to these guys in 5 minutes is completely doable. And Shump - don't throw 'n ball to a Warrior without one of our guys being within 10 feet, please."

Reaction Score
One other thing, I haven't quite understood Golden State's insistence on switching/fighting over LeBron ball screens. He's been brilliant in this series, but clearly he isn't comfortable with his jump shot, and yet you get the sense he can get a switch against Livingston or Curry whenever he wants it.

I would be inclined to take the Pop approach and slide under.

Reaction Score
The Warriors have led for 13 minutes in the entire series. This hasn't been particularly close. I don't think the Warriors are just going to flip a switch and jump on the Cavs.

Edit: seen conflicting information that it may be 27 minutes. Either way, the Cavs are really outplaying the Warriors right now, probably more than the Grizzlies did through 3 games.

Reaction Score
Why has Lee been benched all season? Mo Speights isn't even in the same league as him as a player and outside of Draymond the rest of the frontline is offensively anemic.
Injured early, although Kerr wanted to start Draymond at the 4 anyway and the injury made the transition easier. Surprised that Speights moved ahead of him in the rotation to stay tho, a better defender than Lee but not by much, he's mediocre to sub par in that area.

Reaction Score
The Warriors have led for 13 minutes in the entire series. This hasn't been particularly close. I don't think the Warriors are just going to flip a switch and jump on the Cavs.
Well, it's hard to know.
Is the Cavs' D just that good?
Will the Cavs tire out?
Are the Ws just cold? Can they snap out of it?

I don't really have a feel for it, but Game 4 is huge. If the Cavs win, gotta favor them winning in 6 at home. If they lose, they may have shot their load, and the GSWs have a much easier road holding serve. Cavs seriously need JR or Shump or James Jones to hit 3 or 4 threes on Thursday. Also, need to rebottle Curry - just gotta make somebody else beat you. Down the stretch there, it probably would have made sense to foul him and put him on the line for 2 rather than let him take 2 more dribbles and shoot the contested 3 - as insane as that sounds.

Reaction Score
Last thing we need is Cleveland winning a title in anything, f' that ty city and their fair weather fan base.

Fair weather fan base? Have you spent any time in Cleveland? Who the hell are you to tell anybody f' anything. You prefer the warriors, great, cheer your team on, no need to trash another team of it's fan base.

Reaction Score
Fair weather fan base? Have you spent any time in Cleveland? Who the hell are you to tell anybody f' anything. You prefer the warriors, great, cheer your team on, no need to trash another team of it's fan base.
Sally is right - I live in NW PA and the Browns fans here are devoted lifers. Good fans.

Reaction Score
Lebron smells blood. This time around is different - he realizes it's his legacy series and he cares very much about that. It's over. Cavs in 6

Reaction Score
He's probably referring to fans burning Lebron's jersey and cursing his name only to be worshipping at his feet a few years later.

Reaction Score

What fatigue? Did Cleveland not just win a game leading from start to finish -- all 48 minutes?

That didn't look like a tired team to me.

Reaction Score
Never been a huge LeBron fan but how can you not root for him in this series? He deserves it.

because you don't want him to win, like me.

I wanted a refreshing finals without any of the teams weve seen year after year, or the players we see year after year. If it weren't for Lebron being there I would have gotten my wish. I hate that the injuries put Lebron into the perfect situation for him. The odds are stacked against him, he's down 2 Allstar caliber teammates, so now, if they lose... big deal, the odds were so against them, what could the fans expect. If they win? well then clearly Lebron is the most amazing athlete of any sport of any era forever, and don't think he will ever let anyone forget that.

I can be more accepting of him winning again now that it has this sort of UConn esque team defense + 1 great offensive player can = a championship

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm really hoping for Cavs in 5. I'm in Cleveland next week.
Wouldn't you want it to be the Cav's in 6 so that you are up close and personal to a riot? :p
As a friend from Ohio always tell me - the smartest people you'll ever meet are from Ohio, because they woke up one morning, realized they were in Ohio, and promptly left. :cool:

Reaction Score
If they win? well then clearly Lebron is the most amazing athlete of any sport of any era forever, and don't think he will ever let anyone forget that.
If he does, I'll be sure to remind them.
For being a top candidate for "greatest athlete on the planet," the guy is remarkably humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom