OT: NBA Finals | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will say this the playoffs as a whole have been boring to watch due to all the injured teams, and I was hoping the Cavs and Warriors would end their series quickly after both of them were up 2-0. I have watched full games of MJ, Bird, and Magic on Youtube and it is not the same as watching it on live TV. If you don't tune in to watch LBJ right now you are really missing out, I will tell you 5-10 years from now you will kick yourself if you decide not to watch this series, and tell yourself "man I missed out". The great part of sports is you don't know the final outcome its not writen in stone. Possibly the greatest shooter of all time chasing Ray's records :( against an already top 5 player chasing MJ's records. You will be bored all season with no sports other then baseball, baseball, baseball oh yeah and more baseball. Its your choice not telling you what to watch but you might have a different opinion 5-10 years from now.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you want it to be the Cav's in 6 so that you are up close and personal to a riot? :p
As a friend from Ohio always tell me - the smartest people you'll ever meet are from Ohio, because they woke up one morning, realized they were in Ohio, and promptly left. :cool:

I'm leaving Thursday afternoon (pre-riot). Was hoping for a Tuesday evening riot. Don't think they won't riot just because it isn't a home game.

Reaction Score
Just want to point out the inelegance of the phrasing here: It is acceptable to criticize ideas; it is unacceptable to criticize people. (At least in this context) That is, you may point out flaws the person's perceptions to demonstrate where the logic process is flawed. However, when you criticize the person, then the argument you proffer becomes ad hominem, which is a logical fallacy.
And Van Gundy does a pretty good job of pointing out many of the flaws in an NBA game during his commentary. I especially like his observations on off-the-ball fouls prior to two minutes left and after 2 minutes left. The rule is a joke, it gives an undeserved advantage to the team that fouls, which defeats the entire purpose of calling fouls (namely penalizing teams that commit fouls).
You quoted me, so I take it you suggest I am proffering an ad hominem attack.

I'm not.

However inelegant you think my point, it is correct.

I did not put forward an argument here both because it's already been done multiple times, and because the observation (NBA players do neither play defense nor exert themselves) demonstrates that that person does not watch the NBA with regularity. No use arguing with someone how neither knows what he is saying nor is wants to change his mind.

That's not to say there are not valid criticisms, but to use the language of argument: when someone unerringly puts forward the same false premises, not only is their argument invalid regardless of their conclusion's veracity, but we also need not take their voice seriously on the subject.

Reaction Score
Those aren't my reasons and honestly I am unsure why the interest has waned over the years although even in Magic-Bird years it wasn't close to college hoops for me at least. I would agree during the regular season guys take games off and plays off a lot more than anyone would be willing to admit but I've seen enough in these playoffs to see otherwise. They aren't lazy and while their defense isn't great all year a lot has to do with how good these guys are I get that, to a point. Suddenly there a Della who can make Curry's life a living hell but no one else had one of those guys on their teams all year? Hmmmm.

Again it;s the best in the world, but more than 3-4 minutes in a row and I'm on to other shows or baseball. Just me.
Della isn't doing it in a vacuum. Curry would eat Delly alive were it not for James and Thompson's strong performance on defense. Delly's doing great, but one good defender isn't going to be enough. The Cavs' team defense has been unreal, and that, paired with Delly's defense, is what has done it. But if you replace Thompson with Love in this instance, we aren't praising Delly like this.

Also, the 82 game schedule is brutal, so there are definitely intense and less intense regular season games.

Reaction Score
I will say this the playoffs as a whole have been boring to watch due to all the injured teams, and I was hoping the Cavs and Warriors would end their series quickly after both of them were up 2-0. I have
Also, the 82 game schedule is brutal, so there are definitely intense and less intense regular season games.

Any of your best defenders would get eaten alive in one on one situations by better offensive players. Almost no one does anything out there without help. My point is he's playing him harder head-to-head than anyone does during the year. His fighting through picks and "holding him"when he can is amazing. He's a nuisance at the very least and he will not get as much praise for his hard work because he's not very well liked. His teammates will though I am sure. And Curry off the ball is Rip-like in his never ending ability to keep working to get open, he's amazing.

Reaction Score
The NBA has the worst and most inaccurate stigmas of any pro league.

They don't play D? Wrong
They don't hustle? Wrong
It's not a team game aka too much iso? Wrong (despite the fact that CLE has done a ton of iso'ing in the Finals).
Too many star calls? Wrong, have you see how many times LeBron has been clobbered, grabbed and shoved this series without a whistle?

Now that flopping has pretty much been removed from the NBA (which the league took way too long to address but that's another story) the game is just as entertaining and fun as it was in the 80s and 90s. It's a very different game from back then but it's still wildly entertaining.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to the game.
I hope LeBron shoots well.
I hope Curry comes out hot.
I hope nobody gets hurt.
I hope the Refs don't blow TOO many calls.
But mostly, Santa, I hope that it's close in the last 5 minutes; I watched most of the NBA ships with the great teams from about 82 on, and this one is getting close to being as exciting as the 80s Lakers/Celtics matchups.

Reaction Score
I hope the Refs don't blow TOO many calls.

Or make too many calls, Cavs can't afford foul trouble. Tightly called game gives Warriors an advantage, especially if calls are made on Delly (who is getting away with a lot of aggressive play).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The NBA has the worst and most inaccurate stigmas of any pro league.

They don't play D? Wrong
They don't hustle? Wrong
It's not a team game aka too much iso? Wrong (despite the fact that CLE has done a ton of iso'ing in the Finals).
Too many star calls? Wrong, have you see how many times LeBron has been clobbered, grabbed and shoved this series without a whistle?

Now that flopping has pretty much been removed from the NBA (which the league took way too long to address but that's another story) the game is just as entertaining and fun as it was in the 80s and 90s. It's a very different game from back then but it's still wildly entertaining.
The NBA regular season is a joke. Playoffs is a different animal.

Reaction Score
The NBA playoffs is like reverse order of March Madness, the excitement of the NBA playoffs starts with the Conference finals(usually). In March the excitement is the conference tournaments followed by the first weekend of the NCAA's, in terms of of catching the general sports fans interests.

Reaction Score
Wow everyone I have talked to today is routing for GS, because they don't like Lebron. I love when people say they don't want Cleveland to win because Lebron is arrogant, cocky, full of himself and don't give a valid reason. For an NBA superstar I would say he handles himself pretty well, and is pretty humble. If I were Lebron James I would be pretty full of myself.

Reaction Score
Wow everyone I have talked to today is routing for GS, because they don't like Lebron. I love when people say they don't want Cleveland to win because Lebron is arrogant, cocky, full of himself and don't give a valid reason. For an NBA superstar I would say he handles himself pretty well, and is pretty humble. If I were Lebron James I would be pretty full of myself.

and when steph curry nails a three, stands still like a statue on the court for 3 seconds and kisses the sky every time, he's a class act :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
and kisses the sky every time,
Gotta say, I'm not a religious guy, but I find it incredibly offputting when these athletes point up to God after doing something. Give it a rest. God cares less than honey badger.

Reaction Score
So many cross-matches on both ends of the court with these lineups. It almost feels like Golden State is baiting Cleveland into attacking other match-ups (other than LeBron) by downsizing. So far this pace, and this sort of game, seems to favor the Warriors.

Reaction Score
This is danger territory for Cleveland, JR Smith realistically will need to average around 20 going forward, and thats a bad late call.

Reaction Score
I just experienced some kembacity type Lebron hate. Lebron takes a little chunk out of his head, will need stiches at half ''this is why I hate Lebron, faking an injury to catch his breath.'' The guy is such a beast, his team is scrub city, I think we will be telling our kids about this series.

Reaction Score
Delavedova is doing all he can out there this is more then anyone could expect, JR Smith is the one who needs to step it up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JR is shooting 29% from three in the series. He shot 47% and 44% against the Hawks and Bulls, respectively. You gotta figure he's gonna have a game where he gets hot eventually.

Reaction Score
Well its a 7 pt deficit but man it looks painful watching Cleveland run their offense compared to GS, its like watching a Randy Edsall offense vs a Rich Rodriguez offense.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Curry again looking sloppy with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom