OT: Juwan Durham update | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this belongs in the Durham thread or the Waters thread but my favorite poster name was Scote who since changed it to @Scot-e because everyone confused him with scrote.

And for you newbies Scot-e hates Georgetown more than any team hence the Waters reference.

Not sure who remembers dear old ma during Taliek's tenure but ma was a monster back then. Quite mellow now by comparison. Back then he was menopausal ma.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this belongs in the Durham thread or the Waters thread but my favorite poster name was Scote who since changed it to @Scot-e because everyone confused him with scrote.

And for you newbies Scot-e hates Georgetown more than any team hence the Waters reference.

Not sure who remembers dear old ma during Taliek's tenure but ma was a monster back then. Quite mellow now by comparison. Back then he was menopausal ma.

I wasn't bad, this place was just bad for me. C'mon fleudy unfair description I've always been even tempered and fair not sure what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
I was stuck in the freezing rain at my kid's practice just yesterday. SoI sat in the car with my iPhone and dialed up the 2014 championship. Amida played pretty well. His block the first few minutes in fueled UConn's run to a big 15 point lead. Kentucky stopped going inside and instead started heaving outside shots. He also got a few fouls committed against him on offense. He played very hard. Nolan also battled and got good minutes, but by the end of the game, it was Giffey and Daniels playing the 4 and the 5.

This is true... He had a big block on Poythress (although he failed to block out next play for a follow-dunk) and he was definitely a presence inside. Stats do not always tell the whole story, obviously. But TSam those two games was huge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Where TF has he been anyway? I think @AtlantaHusky knows him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I wasn't bad, this place was just bad for me. C'mon fleudy unfair description I've always been even tempered and fair not sure what you're talking about.

Way to pass the buck ma haha

Reaction Score
It's an interesting discussion. If we are saying 2014 as a whole, then yes, without question, Brimah was a more important contributor. But Brimah's play in the tourney is greatly overvalued by one play (he had a very good game overall, too); he was just ok in the other 5 games.

St. Joe's 9 pts 6 reb 1 blk 30 min
Nova 2 pts 1 reb 1 blk 20 min
Iowa St 4 pts 2 reb 2 blk 20 min
Mich St 0 pts 0 reb 0 blk 10 min
Florida 2pts 1 reb 2 blk 12 min
Kentucky 0 pts 4 reb 1 blk 12 min

On the other hand, Sameul's overall season is greatly over overrated based upon how excellent he was in a couple games in the tourney. For the season, TSam had 11 games where he took a DNP. They were scattered here and there so I don't think they were based on injury and the vast majority of his minutes (double figure minute games) came in blowouts. But in the tourney...

St Joe's 0 pts 2 o ast 5 min
Nova 11 pts 1 reb 1 ast 21 min
Iowa St 10 pts 3 reb 2 ast 23 min
Mich St club 4 trillion
Florida 4 pts1 reb 1 ast 18 min
Kentucky 2 pts 1 reb 11 min

So TSam had the better overall tourney, but Amida had the most important play in the tourney and had the better overall season.

To use a baseball analogy, you could probably say that Brimah had more win probability added (WPA), but Samuel had a better WAR in the Tournament.

That was basically the point I was making, that Samuel was overall a bigger contributor. He was enormous in the Nova and ISU games. Brimah was basically a non-factor after making the season-saving play against St. Joe's.

Reaction Score
Here's the "Brimah will be a lottery pick thread." There are others, too, predicting him as a potential top 5 pick in the draft. What's unfortunate is reading the "if he improves _____" and realizing that he never did.

Next lottery pick from UConn

Ugh -- I correctly predicted that Hamilton would go pro after 2 years, but I assumed it would come after a stellar career when he'd be an obvious lottery pick, not a so-so career after which he wanted to get out of dodge as quickly as possible regardless of where he'd be picked.

The Purvis picks are kind of sad, in retrospect, not to mention Brimah, of course.

Honorable mention to the Diamond Stone picks.

That thread just reminds you of how much has gone wrong with this program over the last 3 years. Almost every surprise has been negative.

Reaction Score
Brimah did improve. His senior season was his best year at UConn. There were external variables that disguised the fact that he got better in a number of areas, most notably as a rebounder.

He didn't improve as much as he should have (I still maintain this is due in large part to foul trouble), but to the extent that he didn't is distorted by how much expectations changed in just one year. He went from a project whose every moment of promise was extrapolated into greatness to a lottery pick whose deficiencies were exposed with his increased role. Many people, myself included, overestimated his capacity to improve, and as a result there are some very flimsy narratives that endure.

Reaction Score
Anyone who watched more than ten seconds of Enoch last season could recognize that his problem was not knowing where the hell he was supposed to be or what the hell he was supposed to be doing rather than athleticism. Quite frankly, I'm glad that even a casual fan like you could pick that up.
He will probably thrive at Louisville because of better coaching. I hate to say it, but it's true. We shall see.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He will probably thrive at Louisville because of better coaching. I hate to say it, but it's true. We shall see.

The two most important factors will likely be a redshirt year to develop (he really needed one at UCONN), and a defensive system more suited to his talents/traits.

Come to think of it, any project big men at UCONN should be automatically redshirted freshman year, like QBs in CFB. jmo

Reaction Score
He should have left after either Frosh or Soph years. He would have been a 1st rounder probably and get 3+ years of guaranteed $$ even if he never improved.

That's where KO could have helped him and advised him. But he's probably selfish and knows he can help potentially and take up minutes.

That's the one thing with Calapari. He's not selfish. If he had Brimah he probably would have said:

"Enter the draft. Look, you stink. You're clumsy, have the worst basketball IQ of anyone I'veever coached and you'll never gain the strength necessary to play in the league. Go now. The more you play here the more exposed you'll get and risk any guaranteed $$."

Brimah did improve. His senior season was his best year at UConn. There were external variables that disguised the fact that he got better in a number of areas, most notably as a rebounder.

He didn't improve as much as he should have (I still maintain this is due in large part to foul trouble), but to the extent that he didn't is distorted by how much expectations changed in just one year. He went from a project whose every moment of promise was extrapolated into greatness to a lottery pick whose deficiencies were exposed with his increased role. Many people, myself included, overestimated his capacity to improve, and as a result there are some very flimsy narratives that endure.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Small sample but Durham had 7 assists to 7 turnovers.

Durham's 'assists' were simply because the guy he passed to when he was afraid to make a move after getting the ball, shot it.

Reaction Score
He should have left after either Frosh or Soph years. He would have been a 1st rounder probably and get 3+ years of guaranteed $$ even if he never improved.

That's where KO could have helped him and advised him. But he's probably selfish and knows he can help potentially and take up minutes.

That's the one thing with Calapari. He's not selfish. If he had Brimah he probably would have said:

"Enter the draft. Look, you stink. You're clumsy, have the worst basketball IQ of anyone I'veever coached and you'll never gain the strength necessary to play in the league. Go now. The more you play here the more exposed you'll get and risk any guaranteed $$."

LOL, you realize that Ollie has NBA contacts who are not blind men. Any advice to a recruit comes from NBA scouting. The coach has no hand in any of this.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

That's where KO could have helped him and advised him. But he's probably selfish and knows he can help potentially and take up

Unbelievable.
Ollie should have known he stopped progressing after freshman year?
Ollie should have seen it but the NBA scouts were going to be blind?
You do outdo yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak