OT-Is Brady hurt? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT-Is Brady hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It hasn't always been great. But for the last 30+ years, which is not a short period of time, it has been superb. Several teams haven't even existed that long. That's a lifetime for some fans and many people on the board. There is no team, none, that is unaffected by fielding truly awful teams (including the UConn Huskies). Not the Red Sox, not the Yankees, Redskins nobody. Even the Cubs...who know losing better than most.

Saying that the Patriots have fair-weather fans based on 1989 is absurd. That stadium was so freaking miserable that having anyone show up in mid-winter to watch a bad team is pretty good. They don't have fair weather fans now.

Using the magic of Google, we see that the Giants (predictably) have the largest waiting list for season tickets, followed (predictably) by the Packers. Next are the Saints, Patriots and Denver (over 60,000). Half the teams have no waiting list. Many have a very small one.
I completely disagree, but only time will tell on that.

Reaction Score
It hasn't always been great. But for the last 30+ years, which is not a short period of time, it has been superb. Several teams haven't even existed that long. That's a lifetime for some fans and many people on the board. There is no team, none, that is unaffected by fielding truly awful teams (including the UConn Huskies). Not the Red Sox, not the Yankees, Redskins nobody. Even the Cubs...who know losing better than most.

Saying that the Patriots have fair-weather fans based on 1989 is absurd. That stadium was so freaking miserable that having anyone show up in mid-winter to watch a bad team is pretty good. They don't have fair weather fans now.

Using the magic of Google, we see that the Giants (predictably) have the largest waiting list for season tickets, followed (predictably) by the Packers. Next are the Saints, Patriots and Denver (over 60,000). Half the teams have no waiting list. Many have a very small one.
The Patriots don't have fair weather fans now? You can honestly say that with a straight face? I've met people from Boston who no longer root for the Patriots because they are so disgusted with the pink hats.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Patriots don't have fair weather fans now? You can honestly say that with a straight face? I've met people from Boston who no longer root for the Patriots because they are so disgusted with the pink hats.

Yeah, but those people are crap fans too. You either support your team, or you don't. Can't worry about other people and what they do.

That's like stopping to enjoy your favorite band, because a bunch of dbags decided to like them. But they still make great music. Nonsensical.

And let's face it, every successful team has fair weather fans. Every single one.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
CZkyiH9UAAAjTMx.jpg:large

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

All I know is that here in the Boston suburbs the fans are quite vocal and strong. Anectdotes about some people from Boston are absurd when a team has a 60,000 person waiting list. I don't see any "pink hat" types at Gillette. Red Sox games...hell yes. I love the team, but I don't go anymore. Nobody is even paying attention. Patriots games couldn't be more different. I went to a couple of 49er games in the 90's when I lived out there...now those are some pink hat wearing, marinated mushroom eating fair-weather fans. I think the move to Santa Clara will help them. Football fans have long come from the suburbs, not the city.

Reaction Score
Every team, including UConn, has fair weather fans. I can remember being at the Rent last year in the pouring rain with a handful of other fans watching UConn upset UCF. It was one of the best times I've had at any UConn sporting event. Then going home and reading complaints about the crowd on the Boneyard. Most likely from people sitting at home watching on TV.

Reaction Score
All I know is that here in the Boston suburbs the fans are quite vocal and strong. Anectdotes about some people from Boston are absurd when a team has a 60,000 person waiting list. I don't see any "pink hat" types at Gillette. Red Sox games...hell yes. I love the team, but I don't go anymore. Nobody is even paying attention. Patriots games couldn't be more different. I went to a couple of 49er games in the 90's when I lived out there...now those are some pink hat wearing, marinated mushroom eating fair-weather fans. I think the move to Santa Clara will help them. Football fans have long come from the suburbs, not the city.
Seriously, as someone who lives in the city and doesn't root for the team, their sustained success has really built up a fanbase I suspect will whether any upcoming down stretch.

Reaction Score
This is what it's like to be a Pats fan. And people wonder why we have what they think is a persecution complex. Every single 'Pats Hater' (for lack of a better term--hate the word 'hater') loves to pile on ad nauseum at their slightest misstep. You can tell these guys instantly from the tone of their posts. They share so many tendencies of Syracuse fans, its laugh out loud funny.

I don't think you are seeing many Pats fans being irrational about the game.
Nah. We rib you Pats fans because you're so easily riled and are so quick to become so defensive. The joke is on you. And it isn't a persecution thing. Y'all are just super insecure for some odd reason. The sounds I invariably hear in Boston from Pats fans when I tell them I'm a Giants fan tells the whole story.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nah. We rib you Pats fans because you're so easily riled and are so quick to become so defensive. The joke is on you. And it isn't a persecution thing. Y'all are just super insecure for some odd reason. The sounds I invariably hear in Boston from Pats fans when I tell them I'm a Giants fan tells the whole story.

You are in the minority then. Most people I meet in bars enjoy seeing the Pats lose more than anything outside their own team winning. And the amount of BS spread around the Net about the Pats borders on JFK conspiracy levels.

You expect Patriots fans to be happy you are Giants fan? For some younger fans, I imagine it's the most heartbreaking loss in their lives. I personally could care less whoever someone's fan of, but I expect you to be able to talk football without resorting to smoke and dagger BS.

Reaction Score
Who called me out other than you? Did the Pats not have a 17 game blackout streak? That is 2+ seasons.

There is a freaking book written about their bandwagon fans and attendance issues until they started winning. Read it.

I am glad you are not embarrassed being a fanboy, you should be though.

Consider this me calling you out for avoiding the question.

Reaction Score
You are in the minority then. Most people I meet in bars enjoy seeing the Pats lose more than anything outside their own team winning. And the amount of BS spread around the Net about the Pats borders on JFK conspiracy levels.
Because they can't wait to see how you Pats fans will react.

You expect Patriots fans to be happy you are Giants fan? For some younger fans, I imagine it's the most heartbreaking loss in their lives. I personally could care less whoever someone's fan of, but I expect you to be able to talk football without resorting to smoke and dagger BS.
There's this other new thing called neutrality. All young adult fans have seen all of the Pats's success; they've only been relevant in this millennium. So every Pats fan of drinking age has been a fan throughout the (continuing) era of dominance. So why is it that I am invariably met with sounds, looks, and words of disgust regarding an inferior program that plays in opposite coference?

And to me, there is no such thing as a "heartbreaking" professional sports loss. IMO sad if one is for someone.

Finally, I think you're conflating "smoke and mirrors" and "cloak and dagger" and misusing both.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So every Pats fan of drinking age has been a fan throughout the (continuing) era of dominance. So why is it that I am invariably met with sounds, looks, and words of disgust regarding an inferior program that plays in opposite coference?

Dunno. Maybe because we live in a me-first, 'we're #1' culture, that often revels in other peoples' perceived inferiority? Self protection from the 'pain' of a particular sporting moment? I do know that I look at Syracuse as an inferior program...for not much other reason than I enjoy doing so.

And to me, there is no such thing as a "heartbreaking" professional sports loss. IMO sad if one is for someone.

I'd agree to an extent, absolutely as an adult. When I was a little guy, certain losses felt like death though --eg Buckner in 86. I was pretty banged up about UCONN losing to Duke in the Dream Season; in the naivety of youth, after The Shot, I believed UCONN was destined to go all the way. And was then rudely awakened to the cruel reality that this was not the case.

Finally, I think you're conflating "smoke and mirrors" and "cloak and dagger" and misusing both.

Yep. Cloak and dagger. I was referring to 'spygate': ie the NFL is involved in a great deal of cloak and dagger machinations, favoring the Patriots by destroying tapes without anyone seeing them, etc etc. Even the use of the word 'gate' is emblematic of the phrase. Perhaps sloppy phraseology, but whatever. Basically don't want to hear people's nonsense conspiracy theories.

Reaction Score
Every team, including UConn, has fair weather fans. I can remember being at the Rent last year in the pouring rain with a handful of other fans watching UConn upset UCF. It was one of the best times I've had at any UConn sporting event. Then going home and reading complaints about the crowd on the Boneyard. Most likely from people sitting at home watching on TV.

How long were you driving to every game in the 70's, 80's and 90's? Just curious because if I want to sit at home and watch it and talk about the crowd I will really don't need your approval now do i? I'm as big of a fan as you if not moreso I am sure! Add to it the job which is up to 250 miles in day or close and a son who plays local college basketball I can enjoy the recliner when it's time.

Reaction Score
How long were you driving to every game in the 70's, 80's and 90's? Just curious because if I want to sit at home and watch it and talk about the crowd I will really don't need your approval now do i? I'm as big of a fan as you if not moreso I am sure! Add to it the job which is up to 250 miles in day or close and a son who plays local college basketball I can enjoy the recliner when it's time.
Where does your son play?

Reaction Score
Where does your son play?

Holyoke Community College. Started at Westfield State but the staying over thing as a freshman didn't help his grades LOL. He's on the right track again though thank God. Amazing CC though, huge gym gym and amenities with weights, training of all kinds on campus. I mean nothing like Middlesex CC where i went an played in any gym available in Middletown for our home games. And it has a campus rather than 2 buildings like MXCC LOL, times have changed.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Yeah, sure. They could have been better. But nothing is easier in football than a PAT, and with a PAT they're in OT.
They had 47 minutes to overcome the missed PAT. This was on the O-line, which was terrible.
It's also on Brady, who--for some reason I can't figure out, even having watched the replay about 25 times--didn't loft the ball to Gronk on the 2-point try. He had broken open and could have caught the ball with one hand.

Reaction Score
And really they got gifted their first TD off a fluke play on the backward pass. Brady was feeling the heat all day and when you get hit 23 times in a game, you get gun shy and feel the pressure even when it's not there and try to get rid of the ball more quickly than you might actually have to in anticipation of the rush.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They had 47 minutes to overcome the missed PAT. This was on the O-line, which was terrible.
It's also on Brady, who--for some reason I can't figure out, even having watched the replay about 25 times--didn't loft the ball to Gronk on the 2-point try. He had broken open and could have caught the ball with one hand.

That's probably a result of being killed all game. DE's, especially Miller, were in his grill under 2 seconds half the game. Hit 23 times! Yikes. The Pats obviously agree with line issues all game, as they let go of the OL coach yesterday. Not sure it completely on him, given juggling all the injuries; in fact, I thought he did an admirable job during the year with the hand he was dealt. But at the end of the day, somebody had to take the fall for that one. I imagine a number of OL players themselves won't be back.

Also, didn't Brady roll to the right by design on that play, where as Gronk was in the left corner? I may not be remembering correctly. But Brady moving to the right and throwing back across his body to the opposite side isn't exactly his strongest throw.

Reaction Score
Can we close this thread? Here is Brady's admission which validates Pats posters here:

Linky.

'Brady acknowledged after the game that he struggled to read the Broncos’ defense and see where the rush would be coming from, and as a result he was rattled.

“There were definitely times where I had opportunities to hold the ball and didn’t really have great awareness of where people were around me,” Brady said. “Maybe sometimes I had more time.”

A lot of the blame should also go to the Patriots’ offensive line, but Brady didn’t say that. He took the blame for himself, after a rough loss that ended the Patriots’ bid for a fifth Super Bowl ring.
'

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And really they got gifted their first TD off a fluke play on the backward pass. Brady was feeling the heat all day and when you get hit 23 times in a game, you get gun shy and feel the pressure even when it's not there and try to get rid of the ball more quickly than you might actually have to in anticipation of the rush.

I know that looked like complete luck. And to a large extent, the catch was a result of Gronk's considerable skill. Every route tree in the Patriots offense are option routes given coverage. That play was likely designed for Gronk to go to the back of the endzone and if blanketed, come back to the QB. Similar to damn every play in their playbook.

Brady saw the coverage threw it short into space (although it was still not a great throw). The defender played the route very well, was all over Gronk, and made it difficult for his to break back to space. Gronk broke free late and managed a spectacular catch. All Gronk on that play.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can we close this thread? Here is Brady's admission which validates Pats posters here:

Really? Can't Pats fans discuss the game as they see fit? There was a 9 page Giants thread, in addition to another Giants coaching search thread after their season ended. And no one was complaining.

Reaction Score
Really? Can't Pats fans discuss the game as they see fit? There was a 9 page Giants thread, in addition to another Giants coaching search thread after their season ended. And no one was complaining.
Not saying that we can't discuss but the Pat's season is over.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Linky.

'Brady acknowledged after the game that he struggled to read the Broncos’ defense and see where the rush would be coming from, and as a result he was rattled.

“There were definitely times where I had opportunities to hold the ball and didn’t really have great awareness of where people were around me,” Brady said. “Maybe sometimes I had more time.”

A lot of the blame should also go to the Patriots’ offensive line, but Brady didn’t say that. He took the blame for himself, after a rough loss that ended the Patriots’ bid for a fifth Super Bowl ring.
'

The OT was a shambles but Brady played poorly. There is no doubt. He didn't go through he usual reads and several times he threw into coverage or threw the ball away when someone else was open. Had the Patriots made an effort to win in Miami, they would be at home, and the Bronco's pass rush would not have been able to tee off against a silent snap count. Many things went into the loss on Sunday...many things. That's why I was frustrated by it, the Patriots definitely should have won the game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The OT was a shambles but Brady played poorly. There is no doubt. He didn't go through he usual reads and several times he threw into coverage or threw the ball away when someone else was open. Had the Patriots made an effort to win in Miami, they would be at home, and the Bronco's pass rush would not have been able to tee off against a silent snap count. Many things went into the loss on Sunday...many things. That's why I was frustrated by it, the Patriots definitely should have won the game.

Agree. But my point was that playing poorly is a result of simply having no time to make reads in the first place. He barely had enough time for one read. Brady is one of the top 2 or 3 guys in the league statistically terms of getting rid of the ball quickly. When they are playing well, he's the quickest. It's impossible to throw when guys are hitting you in under 2 seconds--you can barely make your first read, as was the case during the game. The Pats didn't adjust in play calling as a result of this, and that is on McDaniels. He's not getting fired though.

And yes, home field was huge. Bigger than I anticipated. At the time, I was happy they were playing to manage injuries against Miami. But I'm really disappointed in retro spect that they didn't go all out against Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom