OT - Giants | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT - Giants

Reaction Score
Jerry Reese and McAdoo basically called out Eli over the offseason by making comments like "It wasn't all the offensive lines fault" and by just not going out and getting him any help on the line. I really believe that Reese and McAdoo think the line is pretty good and that Eli is the issue.
So while I don't believe Eli is the issue, maybe Reese and McAdoo should push all their chips into the middle of the table and make a QB change and see how smart they really are.
You know who is not smart? Reese and McAdoo. They are the reason the Giants are 0-2. Reese for neglecting the Oline and mcadoo for being a horrific in game coach and play caller.

Eli held the ball too long on 2 occasions last night, but outside of that he was very good. Perfect throws to Engram and Marshall on key 3rd downs, drops. He is completing 73% of his passes this season, its too bad he only has 2 seconds back there to find someone.

Reaction Score
Yes the line sucks but so does Eli. When the line blocks for him he either just holds on to it until the line eventually breaks down and he takes a sack or he throws inaccurately in the direction of his receiver. I'm so sick of people making excuses for Eli.
He is completing 73% of his passes which is 5th in the league with a drop by Shepard, a drop by Engram, a drop by Marshall, and Marshall having Rueben Randle field awareness and catching the ball out of bounds.

He was 2-6 on deep balls last night, with two drops, if one is caught he is 50%. 50% lead the league in 2015 and 2016.

If you are going to make statements just try to be accurate with them, it would be appreciated. I am not saying Eli has been great in the 2 games BY ANY MEANS, but at least make accurate assessments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this is true it's a pretty pathetic state of affairs.

Yeah I guess it's weird to gripe that a team that has a ton of firepower and can't run the ball kills all their drives on counter-productive runs. Let's run that clock out so we can get Eli home and in bed sooner. Who cares if the season is on the brink of complete disaster.

Who is saying otherwise? But when the ship is going down sometimes there is no sense in continuing to steer the boat, especially when it's week two and you're already on a short week getting ready for one of the best front fours in the league on Sunday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who is saying otherwise? But when the ship is going down sometimes there is no sense in continuing to steer the boat, especially when it's week two and you're already on a short week getting ready for one of the best front fours in the league on Sunday.

I guess we can agree to disagree. There is no reason to quit on a home game down 14.

Send the money back to the ticket holders if they have decided they don't have a roster that allows them to compete.

Reaction Score
I guess we can agree to disagree. There is no reason to quit on a home game down 14.

Send the money back to the ticket holders if they have decided they don't have a roster that allows them to compete.
They did not quit, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. You do not keep going for it on 4th down if you quit.

The Giants looked just as bad if not worse in the two grame stretch last year vs GB and Minni and were 2-3 and the same people came out with the same hot takes. They finished 11-5. It is 2 weeks into the season, long way to go, people need to stop trying to be Skip Bayless and make everything into one team/player is the worst in the league or best in the league based on one game. Just raging stupidity.

That rant was not directed at you FYI

Reaction Score
He is completing 73% of his passes which is 5th in the league with a drop by Shepard, a drop by Engram, a drop by Marshall, and Marshall having Rueben Randle field awareness and catching the ball out of bounds.

If you are going to make statements just try to be accurate with them, it would be appreciated. I am not saying Eli has been great in the 2 games BY ANY MEANS, but at least make accurate assessments.

I thought he was worse against Dallas than he was last night. Then again, it can be difficult to separate the quarterback from the play caller when it comes to evaluating the efficiency of an offense. None of us know entirely how much autonomy Eli has. You would think it would be a lot given he's a veteran, but that's not always the case, and even when it is, it still helps to have a coordinator who knows what he's doing. Somebody like Alex Smith has looked pretty damn good running Andy Reid's offense, but if you swap his situation for what the Giants have, my hunch is that he struggles just as much. There are a number of other guys in the league who meet that description. The one knock on Eli at this point is that he isn't one of those guys who can transcend the limitations of the personnel around them. Most aren't, especially at this point in the season. Russell Wilson hasn't been lighting it up.

Given the situation, last night was about as good as you can expect. He just can't throw those back-breaking picks. On the surface, back-breaking seems harsh, but that's what the margin for error is with this roster. You just force a turnover, have all the momentum, good field position, and you throw a pick on the first play to send the defense right back out there. Five plays later, it's 14-7 and the tenor of the game has completely flipped. From that point on he played well and his teammates let him down, but I still think it's fair to call him part of the problem.

Moving forward, the game he played against San Francisco in the NFC Championship should be the template. He got rocked in that game but still hung in there and gave his team the chance to win. It wasn't the greatest game you'll see played, but it might have been the toughest you'll see from a quarterback. Most importantly, though, he gave his defense a chance to win the game and they did. Last night I think could have been one of those nights and I've scratched my head at the defense catching heat - seven came directly from the pick, seven came from the punt return. They were great for the most part and it was just a comedy of errors from the rest of the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Quit isn't the word. More like you can't optimize your play calling to align exactly with what the situation would normally warrant when you're trying to mask mass roster deficiencies. I don't agree with it - you could have run a screen there or something. But I've seen Andy Reid coach a lot and I've seen more egregious displays of clock mismanagement. They probably thought they were going to get ten yards out of a draw play there with six minutes left and move the chains. Better than letting their front four tee of on your quarterback.

Reaction Score
I thought he was worse against Dallas than he was last night. Then again, it can be difficult to separate the quarterback from the play caller when it comes to evaluating the efficiency of an offense. None of us know entirely how much autonomy Eli has. You would think it would be a lot given he's a veteran, but that's not always the case, and even when it is, it still helps to have a coordinator who knows what he's doing. Somebody like Alex Smith has looked pretty damn good running Andy Reid's offense, but if you swap his situation for what the Giants have, my hunch is that he struggles just as much. There are a number of other guys in the league who meet that description. The one knock on Eli at this point is that he isn't one of those guys who can transcend the limitations of the personnel around them. Most aren't, especially at this point in the season. Russell Wilson hasn't been lighting it up.

Given the situation, last night was about as good as you can expect. He just can't throw those back-breaking picks. On the surface, back-breaking seems harsh, but that's what the margin for error is with this roster. You just force a turnover, have all the momentum, good field position, and you throw a pick on the first play to send the defense right back out there. Five plays later, it's 14-7 and the tenor of the game has completely flipped. From that point on he played well and his teammates let him down, but I still think it's fair to call him part of the problem if not the biggest one.

Moving forward, the game he played against San Francisco in the NFC Championship should be the template. He got rocked in that game but still hung in there and gave his team the chance to win. It wasn't the greatest game you'll see played, but it might have been the toughest you'll see from a quarterback. Most importantly, though, he gave his defense a chance to win the game and they did. Last night I think could have been one of those nights and I've scratched my head at the defense catching heat - seven came directly from the pick, seven came from the punt return. They were great for the most part and it was just a comedy of errors from the rest of the team.
A pick with 12 min left in the 2nd quarter is not back breaking. Bad throw, bad decision, but was not determinative of the outcome of the game.

Marshall's drop? Engram's drop? The special teams play? Much much more devastating giving the time and situation.

Reaction Score
A pick with 12 min left in the 2nd quarter is not back breaking. Bad throw, bad decision, but was not determinative of the outcome of the game.

Marshall's drop? Engram's drop? The special teams play? Much much more devastating giving the time and situation.

I can take your point that back breaking is maybe a bad word to use at that point in the game. I'd disagree on the second part - I'd be willing to bet Eli's pick swung the win probability of that game as much or more than any other play. The Marshall drop was a bad one, though. That might have come close.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It was criminal when Reese didn't address it a few years ago. Now it's just plain stupid. This OL situation is mind blowing.

When is a slow, immobile Manning going to succeed? When he has protection, a competent running game, and doesn't need to rush his throws. The Giants released the patent for this in 2007 and 2011.

You're wasting supremely talented receivers when they can't even run half of their route before the QB is being swallowed up whole.

Reaction Score

I would call it somewhat back breaking, being that we literally forced a turnover the play before and had all the momentum.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It was criminal when Reese didn't address it a few years ago. Now it's just plain stupid. This OL situation is mind blowing.

When is a slow, immobile Manning going to succeed? When he has protection, a competent running game, and doesn't need to rush his throws. The Giants released the patent for this in 2007 and 2011.

You're wasting supremely talented receivers when they can't even run half of their route before the QB is being swallowed up whole.

We haven't had a 3-down back since Tiki. They're hard to find, sure, but most teams have found at least 1 since then.

We haven't had a decent running game since 2012.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We haven't had a 3-down back since Tiki. They're hard to find, sure, but most teams have found at least 1 since then.

We haven't had a decent running game since 2012.

Yup, and it all starts up front. You can't have a decent running game if you can't make holes for the backs to run through. And good luck keeping LBs out of the box when there's no deep threat because you can't provide any protection to your QB.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They did not quit, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. You do not keep going for it on 4th down if you quit.

The Giants looked just as bad if not worse in the two grame stretch last year vs GB and Minni and were 2-3 and the same people came out with the same hot takes. They finished 11-5. It is 2 weeks into the season, long way to go, people need to stop trying to be Skip Bayless and make everything into one team/player is the worst in the league or best in the league based on one game. Just raging stupidity.

That rant was not directed at you FYI

Quit might be strong but their pace and playcalling was such that it was pretty much the same outcome.

I get not overreacting but this has all the makings of burning to the ground quickly.

The coach doesn't have the credibility to get on Eli like he did.

Reaction Score
I would call it somewhat back breaking, being that we literally forced a turnover the play before and had all the momentum.

Not early in the game it's not back breaking. The punt return in back breaking much more than a 1st half pick, although the pick was a horrid one. And the miss by Marshall is as close as it gets as you mount a nice comeback 2nd half and are rolling offensively and drop an easy 35 yards plus to get the crowd very much into it.

This team is full of back breaking moments unfortunately - even the Apple inexcusable continuation rather than identifying the back shoulder. It's just not a good team not much more to say. When healthy they will have a solid defense but not good enough to help the offense I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
This whole situation with McAdoo is sort of "Diaco-ish". the only thing we have to hear from him is "We have to love each other a little more".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
McAdoo can get effed with his comments regarding Eli.

Might not be public relations 101, but maybe when you're screwing up your own job, don't take a shot at one of the most popular and decorated players in franchise history; especially after the NFL world saw him take a beating the whole night.

Reaction Score
McAdoo can get effed with his comments regarding Eli.

Might not be public relations 101, but maybe when you're screwing up your own job, don't take a shot at one of the most popular and decorated players in franchise history; especially after the NFL world saw him take a beating the whole night.
I did not hear Benny mention how idiotic it was for him not to take a TO with over 1 min left in the half and the Lions trying a 57 yard FG. Ben decided to let them take down the clock so they could essentially end the half. Ben is not smart. That was a horrific coaching decision.

Reaction Score

He was 2-6 on deep balls last night, with two drops, if one is caught he is 50%. 50% lead the league in 2015 and 2016.

Cool, you don't even mention him throwing behind his receiver for an INT on an easy pitch and catch.

Reaction Score
Cool, that was one pass out of 28. Spot on analysis.
He was 22-32 for a 7.5 yard average with 1 TD and 1 Int. He was 29-38 for a 5.8 average with 0 TD and 1 Int in his first game.

You sound really impressed by his completion percentage and overall QB play, I'm not.

Reaction Score
He was 22-32 for a 7.5 yard average with 1 TD and 1 Int. He was 29-38 for a 5.8 average with 0 TD and 1 Int in his first game.

You sound really impressed by his completion percentage and overall QB play, I'm not.
Come on, I know you can read. I specifically said, "I am not saying Eli has been great in the 2 games BY ANY MEANS" and I specifically said he was flat out bad against Dallas. But to say last night "he throws inaccurately in the direction of his receiver" is poor analysis and not accurate. You can make a lot of statements about his play being poor, like holding onto the ball too long, the throws short of the sticks on 4th down, ect. But inaccuracy was simply not the issue last night in any way shape or form. So do not be sad when I demonstrate that to you with things like stats.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

You can make the case that poor completion percentage and the protection the OL is providing are mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Come on, I know you can read. I specifically said, "I am not saying Eli has been great in the 2 games BY ANY MEANS" and I specifically said he was flat out bad against Dallas. But to say last night "he throws inaccurately in the direction of his receiver" is poor analysis and not accurate. You can make a lot of statements about his play being poor, like holding onto the ball too long, the throws short of the sticks on 4th down, ect. But inaccuracy was simply not the issue last night in any way shape or form. So do not be sad when I demonstrate that to you with things like stats.
I know you can read too and you know my post about him throwing inaccurately was from the first half. I wasn't impressed with him completing 5 yard passes in the first game and a half while also throwing it behind receivers.

Reaction Score

Holy crap you're not impressed superjohn that's amazing, a first. I don't think anyone in 2-3 years needed to see this post to know what you're thinking the guy has no chance with you it's that simple.

Wish all predictions were this simple.....all on Eli you've discussed nothing else. Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom