OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
USC just put an assistant coach on administrate leave

Reaction Score
Apparently the NCAA had no knowledge of the investigation until today. What I would give to have been a fly on the wall when Emmert got the news.

Awesome! Yeah I speculated earlier. Our former disgruntled employee could never be trusted with any aspect of this other than sweeping it under the rug.

Last edited:

arch

Reaction Score
I know I'm in the minority in both cases, but I couldn't understand why the point shaving thing was a crime either. The tax angle mentioned previously would have been, but cheating to win or cheating to lose is just that - cheating. Gambling was illegal, so the injured parties had a reason to be pissed, but that's about it.

Bilas on Finebaum 30 mins ago mentioned wire fraud, mail fraud, bribery and conspiracy as potential charges. Not sure whether he was being flip or not, but it didn't appear that he had spent a great deal of energy in coming up with the list.

Reaction Score
Miami and Louisville have both got a long history of slimey activity. in a perfect world the ACC won't have enough teams to play its season and BCU will be declared league champs!

Reaction Score
Bilas on Finebaum 30 mins ago mentioned wire fraud, mail fraud, bribery and conspiracy as potential charges. Not sure whether he was being flip or not, but it didn't appear that he had spent a great deal of energy in coming up with the list.

Finebaum is an a**wipe not sure how this Mickey Mouse dude even has any idea of what's going on. He's in his own little SEC fairly tale world.

Reaction Score
Curious on Miami if Laranaga just turned away from it and allowed it or if this happens to go hack to Haith who Fishy seems to have nailed for many years?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
While Thomas noted that a head coach can't know everything that goes on around him, he said, "Look, you had over 2,000 phone calls between his staff with the booster during the time frame the recruiting started to commence with the prospective student-athlete. The head coach has to bear responsibility for that."

The NCAA said the case involved more than $6,000 of inducements from a booster (Nochimson) to a prospective student-athlete (Miles). Impermissible benefits allegedly provided to Miles by Nochimson were at least partial payment for a foot surgery, the cost of enrollment at a basketball academy and a registration fee for the SAT.

I'll never forget what Calhoun said about Nate Miles - I know what we did and I know what we didn't do.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping the NCAA was notified last night to preserve all communications and financial documents under a wide ranging umbrella. Disappointed if they didn't figure out a pretext to march in with a search warrant.

Reaction Score

Goes on to say it'll make headlines and that it isn't just about Pitino

For any of you who don't know, Matt Jones is a pretty legit, although not impartial, source

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Goes on to say it'll make headlines and that it isn't just about Pitino

Judging by all the gif responses in that twitter post, the UK fan base has a strong contingent of tween girls.

Reaction Score

In case you're wondering what he'll be investigating. Freeh is there to work his contacts within the FBI and try to smoke out any technicality they can use to invalidate charges. So transparently sleazy.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That will be his alibi. "This all happened behind my back while I was preoccupied shoveling that hooker stuff under the table."
Also, my brother-in-law died in 9/11.

Reaction Score
Curious on Miami if Laranaga just turned away from it and allowed it or if this happens to go hack to Haith who Fishy seems to have nailed for many years?

They have only been with Addidas for a few years so this would fall under Laranaga's watch.

This is only going to get bigger in my opinion. This is all about the sneaker companies competing to improve their brands by "signing" as many good players at as early an age as is possible to wear their gear. Addidas has been biting into Nike's market share and you can be sure they weren't throwing money around just to do it, they were working to outbid Nike.

I pretty much feel that if you are sponsored by a sneaker company (everyone) and have been in the mix for 5 star players (not everyone), then you have a shot at being involved in this on some level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom